Isn't it time we should be able to level pets past 25?

Max level for battle pets has been 25 since its inception. I think it’s time to up the max level to, say, 30. Yes it will cause an uproar for all the folks, like me, who have hundreds of level 25’s. But it will make pet battles relevant again and inject new life into a stagnant part of the game.

If it aint broke then don’t fix it. The developers have committed that crime to this game enough already.

I don’t believe it would increase the battlers in the pvp queue. Most would level up to 30 through trainers and then pvp once they were 30. If anything it would increase queue times because everyone would be busy leveling their pets.

7 Likes

How would it make pet battles relevant again? In a few months or so people will be back to having most if not all of their pets max level and it will be stagnant again. The only thing that would have changed is now we have lvl 30 pets instead of lvl 25.

I would like to see something like pet equipment that boost a stat on your pets instead of pet levels.

2 Likes

Ah… no. There are a number of things that would improve the pet battle situation.

1. Getting rid of pet battle battlegroups.
  2. Lowering AOE.
  3. Adding rewards to PVP pet battles.

Those things will help. But they shouldn’t raise the level limit.

6 Likes

Laughs in NO

Also, I’ve seen plenty of people suggesting teams to counter AoE, and I’ll be a little irritated if I have to change a ton of PvE strats, simply because they caved to a few people complaining who can’t be bothered to learn counters in PvP.

1 Like

I think most people are talking about lowering AOE in pvp. If you use the OP aoe in pve and can’t be bothered to use other strats, well then, I don’t know what to tell ya.

It’s not about being bothered to use other strats, it’s about trying to change something that doesn’t need to be changed because someone doesn’t want to swap out a pet. For PvP, it’s totally plausible to not mess with an entire section of abilities across multiple families, and just run a counter team.

I don’t know if you make PvE strats, but changing ability sets for one pet (like with the Teroclaw) is one thing. For me, dredging through over 700 strats to try and find every single one where I’ve made an AoE strat, mostly for leveling fights, it a whole other ballgame. You aren’t saying; “Oh, fix Graves, he’s OP.” You’re saying; “Make every single AoE ability from all families useless, because I don’t want to have to throw on a Stoneskin or Shell Shield.”

3 Likes

Watch me spit the dummy when that happens.

Sigh… well, let’s see here. Firstly, AOE didn’t use to be that way. They changed it, it’s now broken, and they need to fix it. How do I know it’s broken? Because 80% of teams are running clutch or pyreclaw. What that tells me is that an AOE pet is giving an advantage over having a more diversified pet. I.e. it’s OP. Yeah, so that’s broken. If something’s broken, it needs to be fixed, and I’m not sure if I care that you built 700 strats out of OP AOE pets. I just want the meta to be balanced. We should all want that, yes?
Secondly, you’re suggesting that if I want to win, I should run a counter-AOE team. I.e. you know it’s OP, don’t care about the meta, and we should all run niche anti-aoe teams or AOE teams in general, because you like it that way.
Thirdly, if AOE were brought down, it wouldn’t be useless. It would be how it was before, which is not consolidating on one single pet if that’s all you have left. That’s not AOE. AOE affects an AREA. If a warlock is casting Rain of Fire at several players, it causes some damage to each toon. If there’s only one player in that area, does it make much sense that that one poor player suffer 3-5x damage, just because he’s the only one there? No, of course not.
Think about it a bit. C’mon… I know you can. I have faith in you.

1 Like

I would rather new and interesting/engaging content instead of simply moving the goalpost. I think many underestimate how quickly players consume content, especially content that we’re very accustomed to (leveling up pets). Increasing the max pet level cap will only add artificial content that will disappear as quickly as it’s introduced.

Pet Dungeons were a good start on introducing newer, fresher content. I think it could be refined and built upon to make it better, or evolved to give us additional pet-things to do.

One idea that might be interesting to expand is an upcoming unrelated feature - mount equipment. Dare I say it…pet equipment? Details would have to be figured out - Just cosmetic or actual gameplay? If it the latter, 1 stat, 2 stats, or all 3? Or some other type of boost? Per pet? Limited number? PVP or PVE or both? And so on.

There are lots of possibilities for new content, not just increasing pet levels. But if all you want to do is level pets, just wait for each new patch. There’s always a handful, or 90 in the case of 8.2, of new pets being added that you can spend time leveling up.

2 Likes

The last line is unnecessary–implying I don’t know how to think–and makes me think even less of your argument. Only those who have weak stances belittle a person instead of discussing the matter at hand.

You’ve named two pets in particular, and that’s not ‘all aoe’. I also didn’t do ‘700 strats out of all aoe pets,’ I said I didn’t want to sift through that many to find the aoe ones to change them just because two pets are causing problems. Again, two pets =/= aoe is broken.

ETA: Instead of saying, “AoE is broken.” Name the specific pets causing issues, why they’re causing issues, and perhaps be constructive and offer a way to fix it. If it’s Pyreclaw, suggest that Great Sting and Cleave share the same slot. If it’s TCS, reduce the overall damage.

Voila.

This gets far more specific, like observing Teroclaw was OP, and doesn’t expect Blizz to just nerf all AoE into the ground.

1 Like

Adding Epic/Legendary Stones or Increasing the Level Cap disproportionately punishes the collectors that have 1000+ rare pets at 25, as well.

It’s why when they attempted to add an Epic Stone, they backtracked and told us they would look into other avenues to change up the Pet Battle system.

I really don’t understand the whole “AoE is Broken” mindset people seem to be suggesting on the forum (mainly Shaylindra, who keeps posting in like every topic). I have yet to see this in the game.

Twilight Meteor has a 5 round cooldown and does 250 damage to your team. One of her slots HAS to be used for a defensive skill, which leaves her with only one other potential attack.

Pyreclaw honestly should only live long enough to MAYBE do 300 damage to your team, max. If you let it live longer than that, then it’s ENTIRELY on you. Pretty much any pet with moves other than humanoid can kill Pyreclaw before it can get off more than a Sting and 2 Cleaves. You might say 300 damage to the team is a lot, but most pets do WAY more than 900 damage to a single pet while they’re alive, so it REALLY isn’t.

Which leaves you with what? A main pet that probably took a decent amount of damage from the Sister, and 2 backline pets that took about 600 damage total. Whereas your opponent now has 2 dead pets and one full pet.

If you can’t beat the one remaining pet with 2 pets with over 50% health and your last pet that still is likely alive, that, again, is entirely on you.

Yes, they could probably stand to swap Pyreclaw’s Great Sting and Scorched Earth so Great Sting and Cleave can’t be used together, but honestly, it still isn’t that much of a threat unless you’re for some reason using humanoid abilities and can’t kill it fast enough.

I see Sunlight Teams Far more often than I see AoE teams.

2 Likes

Too much work for no reason. I would have to say, “no”.

5 Likes

Back in the day we used to be able to reforge our armor to maximize our stats. How about something similar, but not quite the same?

There could be genuine pet trainers that could randomly adjust their stats. If you wanted to be adventurous, a random shuffling of abilities might be an option. They would have to be within the class abilities, and exclude anything that is on the unique side to that pet. The shuffling would have to be totally random, no cherry picking. A CD of at least a day would be needed, as well as a limit on how many you could train per day.

This would spice up the pet PvP world. People would not be able to look at their opponents lineup and know that they have won or lost before the first move.

If they added pet equipment it would just be nonsense like “We removed the 3rd ability from battle pets but if you grind out this equipment you can get it back.”

2 Likes

Just NO. I collect pets and have over 1500 at 25 and rare. I NEVER want to revisit those pets.

If you really want to address OP team, either target the specific pets and why they are an issue…

OR

Ask for Blizzard to add a Random Pet Battle queue, where when you queue the game auto-picks 3 of your level 25 pets and same for your opponent. Viola you never have to worry about facing the same OP team over and over.

Most of the crap we have in the game currently is because of folks whining about being OP, Blizzard then changes it and makes it worse. Azerite Armor, ability pruning, Legendary’s, my mage limited to one school of magic when I used to have 3, etc…

2 Likes

No thanks. I have hundreds, probably over a thousand level 25 blues. I have zero interest in grinding more levels. Do I need them all? No…but it sure comes in handy when you get a couple bad RNG’s in a dungeon to have a healthy stable to draw from.

1 Like