Is WoW out of touch with it's core audience?

I don’t like feeling like “a champion” I’d much rather be a random traveler in a living world instead of a Saturday morning cartoon fighting that weeks villain. Right now a lot of really bad players are being carried heavily by passive effects that do all the heavy lifting. Azerite traits are required to do good dps and they’re passive, the passive effects from the azerite necklace also do a huge chunk of your damage/healing along with the passive effects from corruptions doing all the work this patch.

I should note I’ve done m+20 and healed,tanked and dps mythic bosses in the current raid tier and find the game extremely boring. This expansion alone I went from having a main and maybe one alt to 8 max level toons with nearly all having rank 15 cloaks doing a m+ on each toon once a week to find a reason to stay subbed.

This expansion has been the most boring and lackluster expansion I’ve ever played. I joined in wrath and have watched the game go from rewarding skill to becoming a casual loot box simulator. Cata was fine until they added LFR. MoP was okay until SoO, WoD was boring from launch and Legion was a breath of fresh air rewarding skill with the mage tower. Every time they reward skilled players the game does extremely well but each time to cater to the masses of lazy drooling gamers an expansion suffers.

I think we could have it both ways though. Allow passive gameplay for those that aren’t interested in complex rotations that have a higher skill ceiling and reward those that want a more complex and engaging rotation a chance to succeed and rise above mediocrity showing off their skill and talent.

Imagine instead of waiting for dampening to end an arena match you had synergies between complex rotations ending a match instead of taking damage using cd’s and running away to wait for dampening to take effect to score a kill.

Imagine instead of arbitrary difficulty spikes in mythic raiding that are essentially veiled gear checks where the whole thing is a farce to make more money from selling gold to the top 1% of guilds to increase your quarterly earnings because you’ve tuned the raids to such an extent. Instead of doing that you just make fun raid content that’s not an e-sport because those are boring as eff and extremely toxic, much like high end pvp. PVE used to be the chill experience where you derp around with friends and acquire purples.

TL;DR the game has lost touch with it’s roots and has become a reward simulator to keep people on a hamster wheel of getting gear each content patch and invalidating previous achievements by moving the goalpost each content patch in an expansion, aka ilvl bloat. Your m+10 from season 1 should still be relevant in the last season of an expansion. Right now on my feral druid I’m using two 475 socketed trinkets I was using in season one but I had to reearn them EACH patch and that’s dumb.

131 Likes

You have to look at who is in charge of the direction of the game and then you see why it has changed and become less enjoyable.

89 Likes

Not to be that guy, because GD really doesn’t need that guy… but were I an exec over at Acti-Blizz I would be extremely concerned and asking very pointed questions as to why the modern game that gets all the resources is merging servers due to lack of population, and the classic game that hasn’t changed in 20 years is locking servers due to too much population.

117 Likes

First we need to establish who WoW’s core audience is. Then the question can be answered.

32 Likes

That’s the problem. I’m no mythic raider and the highest key I’ve timed is an 18, but I’ll tell you now, Blizzard seems to hate people like you. I forget where I heard this said, but there was a quote:

“An alarming amount of Blizzard development time is devoted to making sure skill does not affect your outcome.”

The more Blizzard tries to develop the challenging content around a casual audience who doesn’t really even play that content, the worse it’ll get.

25 Likes

The man whose incharge of this entire party is part of something called Elitist Jerks, and used to be one of more cutting edge pushers.

Listening to him talking about whats good for casuals is the most insanely unreal, insincere, manufactured political speak i have ever heard.

85 Likes

That person might be the single most arrogant condescending person every to speak to any customer base. How that person is allowed to speak for the company is beyond me. Not only is the attitude so off putting, but his ability to speak in public shows he has never been taught how to do public speaking.

27 Likes

I cringe everytime I see someone say this. We have killed the lich king, gods, a cataclysmic dragon, and a titan. I would not make any sense for us to still be random travelers.

I agree with you here. BFA is trash.

21 Likes

WoD was their attempt at not catering to the “masses of lazy drooling gamers” and it tanked harder than anything before or since. It’s almost like the game does better when there’s stuff for everyone to do.

20 Likes

You mean the expansion where you could stay in your garrison and make 100k a week doing nothing? Or where you could get mythic ilvl rewards by doing a phone game? Yeah sure, okay buddy.

28 Likes

WoW biggest issue is that it doesn’t have core audience anymore, they’re trying to grab EVERYONE. Unlike ff14, eso, swtor and gw2 that actually have someone specific to target

7 Likes

Can you give more examples of this lol? Saying the mage tower took skill is a meme because 99% of people brute forced it with ilvl.

10 Likes

Unless every character in WoW goes though a memory wipe, that’s not happening :v

3 Likes

I’ll take “deliberately missing the point” for $400, Alex.

Being able to sit in your garrison and make money was boring. It also only took a few minutes out of your day to do the missions, leaving the other 23h 55m to, uh, twiddle your thumbs or something while waiting for raids. If you weren’t raiding, then you had almost nothing to do outside of your garrison. Which meant most people just quit. Which is why WoD is still the single worst thing to ever happen to this game. All because they wanted to try catering to the hardcore players.

Also? You needed to raid in order to get anything good from the missions. If you stayed in LFR, all you could get was Normal quality loot. You needed to be doing at least Heroic to get Mythic gear from missions. And even that was a single piece a week, with chances of repeats. Hardly going to get yourself decked out in full Mythic gear that way.

17 Likes

I’m really gonna need to see a source on that quote.

3 Likes

Crazy how after cata this is still a question. It’s been obvious for 10 years they have no idea what the playerbase wants.

9 Likes

I really wish I could get that one, it’s not from a Blizzard employee or anything, it might be from Preach, I’ll search for it, if anyone knows what I’m referring to i’d appreciate it lol

1 Like

Wow has been out of touch with its core audience for YEARS now.

16 Likes

Should we start the petition to remove you know who…

8 Likes

if the quote is not directly from Blizz then its speculation and subjective opinion. Just because Preach or any famous WoW content creator said it doesn’t mean its true.

5 Likes