Is wow just an esport now?

you have esport raids world first,you have 5 man mario speed run M+ dungeons and arena the only thing missing is leveling speed run comps.

imo wow has become an esport and forgot to be a mmorpg.

52 Likes

I don’t even know why it’s catering to this garbage. Leave E-sports to the mobas and other stuff. RPG’s aren’t e-sports.

41 Likes

I guess in the way that fishing is a sport?

6 Likes

it’s certainly not as fun as legion was in its current state

5 Likes

Ok so maybe 25k viewers last time the MDI played and around 15k that last pvp tourney, So no its not an esport. Its a boring game that needs an overhaul.

19 Likes

So I don’t understand why any of you care? In what way does any of this effect you in WoW?

4 Likes

real bad class design based around esports and bad class balance because of esports…thats how it effects everyone.

29 Likes

Can you give me a single example of class design being purely designed “around esports”?

2 Likes

i just like to throw that in there…lol.

pruning all that remained of class identity and unique abilities, boring 2 button rotations and giant screen filling indicators to tell you when not to stand on fire.

2 Likes

But is it in the game?

So you don’t have an example, you are just spouting off an opinion unsubstantiated?

4 Likes

This esport focus is why so many of my friends wont even consider returning to wow. The game was toxic enough without it but now it’s reaching a new level of awfulness. I gave up caring at this point and barely log in now.

21 Likes

All that pruning came in WoD, before mythic+ was out. As for standing in bad stuff… DBM and other raid tools have existed since Molton core.

Do y’all actually have reason, or do y’all just wanna be mad?

I’ll admit I may be overreacting, but I had such a horrible time levelling my spriest to 120 that it made me not want to play the character. I figured I’d try levelling my horde dk to 120 to see if that was better but I just didn’t enjoy any of it at all. It’s kinda a shock for me to go from legion where you had a unique weapon with a huge backstory and lots of unique mechanics to losing the majority of said perks and having them replaced with azerite armor that allows you to heal for 600 health every time you take damage…

1 Like

Ok I totally understand your frustration friend, I’m not a fan of azerite either I think the system blows.

But what does that have to do with esports?

2 Likes

No you can still play this game on your own or with others. Esport is just something extra for high level players to do you literally don’t have to pay attention to it at all to play this game.

Nothing, I was just salty. Wrong thread on my part, sorry about that.

It’s argued that blizzard made classes less complex so that it’s easier for viewers to follow, like in 3vs3 matches. A 3s match in MoP vs now is vastly different.

So just a conspiracy theory.

The Esport shift in mentality is obvious.

Timed runs in place of adventure. A slow shift from WPvP to battlegrounds to centralizing arena.

Then they have literal competitions based around these things. Dungeon race competitions! Aka Esport mentality.

Also pruning in WoD was minimal compared to what we have now. The major class overhauls came with Legion.

20 Likes