Is this a decent card for Shadowlands

GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1660 Ti OC 6G 192-bit GDDR6 DisplayPort 1.4 HDMI 2.0B with Windforce 2X Cooling System Graphic Card

Is that a decent card for Shadowlands.

Yes. It won’t do ray tracing or high/ultra settings at high frame rates, but it will be decent.

Hi Tharnn

I installed a 1660Ti in a system I built for a friend few months ago. Plays the game quite well. They report that after the prepatch things are still good. Prepatch brought all the new Shadowland graphics and requirements.

Keep in mind the other half of the equation - perhaps more than half is the processor you have.

This is why I don’t like having to deal with hardware. Been agonizing over this for days now. I was contemplating this card

MSI Gaming Geforce GTX 1660 Super 192-bit HDMI/DP 6GB GDRR6 HDCP Support DirectX 12 Dual Fan VR Ready OC Graphics Card.

But I’m hearing the fan isn’t running until it gets under load and that could let the card get up to 50 Celsius. I’m nervous it would start melting components in the computer even with the extra fans I have in the system. :sob:

Thank you for the replies, at this point I am completely frustrated. I stuck with Warcraft so I didn’t have to deal with this stuff.

Those temperature concerns are unfounded Tharnn. My card runs around 80C while playing. The GTX 1660 isn’t going to melt anything. It can take a maximum temperature of 93C. Even at that it wouldn’t hurt anything.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/graphics-cards/gtx-1660-super/

Scroll down there for the Nvidia thermal specs.

To explain a bit more temperatures are measured at the processor core or the processor cap where it contacts the heatsink (which is what the fan or fans blow air over) The card itself is no where near those temperatures. Would be warm to touch is about it.

Really? I have that exact card and maintain 55-60fps at 4k res on max settings as of this morning during pre-patch. Although it will not do ray tracing, there is absolutely no issue at all with high enough frames at max settings. If I drop to 1080p I easily get 140fps even in a mythic raid environment.

I appreciate all the help, you have no idea how much I appreciate all of you right now.

My last question is how important is ray tracing going to be in shadowlands, if anyone knows it will hopefully finish my quest for graphic cards.

Thank you everyone.

Even better then.

You won’t need it. It looks better, in the lighting and shadows department, but it won’t affect your ability to play or anything.

50C is like idle speeds on my 2070 super. I think you will be fine.

If you want, you can use fan curve controlling software to adjust the fan speeds on the card at different temps.