Is there anything in this macro that's against the rules

Was it? Or would similar messages all advertising the same thing by multiple people in the same channel also count as spam?

This is why Blizz looks to the community to help determine what the community feels is spam. It’s not black and white and, with the understanding that each battle.net account report for spam only counts as one report, if those reports pile up from unique accounts, then that’s absolutely spam.

3 Likes

unless it’s the same person spamming the same message on multiple accounts, no, that’s just coincidence. you see multiple people spamming items for sale in trade chat for example, it doesn’t make it spam just because there’s 5 others trying to sell the same thing. you might consider it spam because it’s “garbage” to you, but technically, it isn’t.

see, that’s the funny thing with contracts- it is supposed to be black & white, and it’s why a lot of us older gamers take offense to all this new crap because it isn’t defined and is more about “feelings.”

Except that, technically, it is spam. You don’t have to agree that it is, but I would argue that the majority of people do find that sort of thing to be spam.

No, it’s about rules. You can apply your feelings to it and pretend it’s due to your age all you want. If it doesn’t violate the rules, then it’s not going to be actioned. I’m an older gamer too. I also can decide if I feel like multiple posts regarding the same thing in-game is “spamming” trade chat.

Being annoyed does not mean that any feeling were hurt.

5 Likes

there’s a lot i wanna say in defense, but i’m not going to and get banned again for using words in examples that hurt people’s feelings.

as far as spam goes, way back when, spam was defined as posting the same message multiple times in chat. anything more than 3 times in a row would get you reported. spamming chat isn’t the same as email spam, otherwise yeah anything you consider junk would be spam.

Yep. But it was never limited to one single person saying the same thing. If multiple people post the same general thing at the same time or close together, that can also be considered spam.

If we were to go back to when the right-click report system was implemented for gold sellers (before they had the option to report language etc.), it was designed so that multiple reports from unique accounts could flag and squelch an account.

Back then, you’d have multiple posts from multiple illicit sites all vying for peoples cash for stolen gold. It didn’t matter how many times one single gold-selling site posted, it mattered that it was spam. In fact, reporting gold selling site messages in-game is still done via right-click and report for spam.

A single message absolutely can and always has been grounds to be considered spam. You might feel differently, but that’s not how the system was designed nor how it’s been properly used since its inception.

4 Likes

How could this possibly be considered spam? Think of how this would work. If you are selling an item and someone else is selling it tough luck or you’re spamming. Need members for a dungeon someone else is already posting for? Tough luck, spamming. Want an enchant, gem, or other trade skill product? Better not post if someone else is looking for one. What nonsense.

Are you really going to just hit any thread you can to contest and argue things? Customer Support is not a discussion forum in that sense. The OP asked a question, it has been answered.

Debating what is or isn’t spam is not for this forum - take it to General Discussion. People are allowed to report whatever they’d like. If it’s not breaking the rules, then the person reported will not be affected. If it is deemed against the CoC or ToS? Then a GM will make that decision. Not you, not me. You’ve already gotten one thread locked up due to your opinion sharing, let’s try not to do it here too.

5 Likes

Read that again. If multiple people are spamming, then yes, it’s spam.

3 Likes

I’d be willing to bet quite a few of us here are at least as old as you are, and by and large, we’re fine with ‘all this new crap’. If you truly take issue with it, just stop agreeing to it. It really is just that easy.

13 Likes

By “take offense”, you make it sound like your feelings are hurt by having to consider other people’s feelings?

I’m older than probably 99% of the player base. I don’t “take offense” to people trying to maintain a play environment that benefits the mass of the population even if that includes spanking those who don’t play well with others.

13 Likes

You only speak for yourself. No one elected you to speak for other “older gamers.” Most “older gamers” perfer to speak for themselves.

There is no new stuff. The rules haven’t changed. It’s always been about “feelings.” You could report players if you “felt” they were spamming back in Vanilla. You could report players if you “felt” their language was inappropriate. You could report players if you “felt” their character name was against the rules.

12 Likes

Generally speaking, that would apply towards the {body part} {ability} spam, or other situations where a lot of different folks may link items and flood chat.

In the way I described. Not usually in the way you did.

None of this is new, Fooki, though admittedly over the last few years we have focused a lot on toxic behavior as well as just inappropriate language and subject matter. Even so, that has always been prohibited by our policies.

Just to be clear, our policies have always been necessarily vague. When it comes to language and how folks express themselves there are no rules that cover 100% of possible violations 100% of the time. People tend to work to get around spelling restrictions and language evolves. A perfectly acceptable term from a decade ago could easily have adopted new meanings.

Yes, we used to have a more defined definition of what spam was, X number of lines per Y time. However, like with expression, it has evolved over the years. Spamming chat isn’t exactly the same thing as email spam, but it is often similarly defined by the noise it makes.

10 Likes

I usually think of spam as any unsolicited attempt to establish contact with me for the senders benefit. The number of attempts doesn’t matter.

Just because an email/message doesn’t explicitly say they are trying to sell me something or acquire my information, doesn’t mean it’s not spam.

3 Likes

it’s spam in a different sense- one’s a noun, the other is a verb.

you ain’t mah daddy! :rofl:

Alright. I think this one has run its course, as most questions have been discussed and the OP already marked the thread with a solution.

Thanks, all.

7 Likes