Is the term “retail” obsolete?

Once upon a time it made sense. It was the official paid version of the game, while other versions were only accessible via unofficial private servers. Nowadays, classic versions are available legitimately, making them just as much “retail” by definition.

1 Like

I’d not say till wod.

I’ll make pathfinder a main cutover. And tree pruning.

Legion cements with death by rented power system to follow.

“Retail” won’t ever be obsolete until Blizz renames the folder inside the WoW install directory from _retail_ to something else.

1 Like

Ugh. Well played.

1 Like

It refers to the newest expansion, not a price tag.

Classic is Cataclysm
Retail is Dragonflight

Calling both Retail is only going to lead to confusion regardless if you think Cataclysm, MoP, WoD etc. are Retail, they should still be called Classic for simplicities sake.

1 Like

Oh, I wasn’t arguing that we should call them something else, just pointing out that it’s technically a misnomer the same way ICC is. “Obsolete” was definitely the wrong word.

Oh well. Consider this a flopic. I know when to fold ‘em.

I think it’s just depends the person, as a person who’s never played WoW outside of the Classic re-releases I’d say that every expansion that’d be released after and including Cataclysm would still be Classic to me but to others it’d be different.

I think it’s most likely going to be associated to when they felt that the game wasn’t as fun for them anymore.

People just use the term retail for anything they dont like nowadays.

1 Like

the word “retail” just means anything that a classic player doesn’t like

Blizzard uses the terms “modern” and “classic”. It makes sense so naturally the forums will disagree.