Is the RIOT MMO going to be a major threat to WoW?

Concurrently these are the top games people like to play ALOT for like years now.

Notice no blizzard games in it.
Notice two RIOT games in it.

https://i.imgur.com/GzH2hS4.png

People here don’t understand how big Riot games are.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Streamer_Awards

Notice there’s no “World of Warcraft” Category but there’s League of Legends and Valorant.

7 Likes

Nah , it will have following of players though

9 Likes

The only thing that is going to kill WOW is WOW. There is no threat, stop the troll posts. I will however be trying the Riot MMO, because it looks really promising.

32 Likes

Assuming they make the pvp decent…maybe it get some market share from pvp side. Unless they moved on from riot even, riot poached some of ccp’s (eve the iceland base game that is) better devs a few years back. some of these devs were liked and respected pvp devs. ccp devs for pvp, actually pvp.

3 Likes

Yea, sure when it comes out in 2032…

12 Likes

I’ll try it out when it comes out around the same time as Star Citizen.

13 Likes

That is a better date that star citizen at least.

6 Likes

Yea I agree but you can play the game if you want it, today.

Why would Riot even want to make an MMO in 2023 (or whenever it’s supposed to come out)? I feel like that ship sailed over a decade ago.

2 Likes

No. Because the audience overlap isn’t going to be that huge. At this point in WoW’s life cycle the people playing are playing because they enjoy it and are invested. Sure some may also be LoL fans and try it out and leave but I doubt that group will be very big.

It will probably have a bigger impact on smaller, newer MMOs like New World or Lost Ark. Games that haven’t been around long enough to buld a dedicated playerbase that has years of time invested.

4 Likes

Dota 2 have enough concurrent players to make your eyes bleed, Artifact, a trading card game spinoff, failed miserably.

Having a popular IP does not guarantee you’ll strike gold in a completely different genre. Not saying it doesn’t happen, Hearthstone was pretty successful, I’m just saying, it’s not set in stone.

If Blizzard’s Warcraft and marketing team maintains the “direction” they’re taking with Dragonflight in the next upcoming expansions, there won’t be much competition for Riot by the time they decide to launch. But even with a severely deflated Blizzard, is it worth enough resources to try and fill that market gap?

Riot might also cancel the project for any trivial reason, Riot is gigantic and massive projects get canned all the time, their executives are used to absolutely insane return on investment, if an MMO can’t guarantee Billions, it’s simply not a worthwhile pursuit.

Blizzard seems to have the most talented people working on their online survival game (New IP) currently, perhaps this is a way to sidestep Riot’s MMO, Dragonflight and the team behind it isn’t strong and betting the farm on World of Warcraft could be fatal when you have something like Riot eyeing the market.

If something as bland and mild as Final Fantasy could pose a marginal risk to World of Warcraft’s market share, then Riot should send huge alarms up the chain in Activision. That is if Riot is even interested in participating in the market, time will tell.

2 Likes

Potentially.

It’s been years since there’s been any good mmorpg on the market.

Though it ultimately won’t matter, WoW is already on maintaince mode given how often the devs are just playing rinse and repeat on endgame systems and you can only design group content around player addons for so long before it gets utterly out of hand.

3 Likes

Oh, you mean the game that Greg Street was working on and recently quit Riot?

LoL MMO lead Ghostcrawler leaves Riot Games - WIN.gg

Can’t say that fills me with excited anticipation.

EDIT: I did read further and it seems he had other personal reasons to go. Still, its interesting and I do hope his family is well.

1 Like

Greg quit for legit serious personal issues, he’s a great designer but I assure you Riot has the resources to bring in all kinds of heavyweights, and they do.

5 Likes

Idk, start this thread again like 5-7 years later then we might have more to talk about

Yeah I just read more of the article and saw his comments, and I hope his life settles down. However, it is interesting that he did quote “professional considerations”; who knows, maybe working on a big MMO was just to stressful.

1 Like

Yeah making an MMO from scratch must be insane, especially with something like Riot’s expectations, this isn’t some semi indie thing this is big money and they 'll be expecting massive success.

1 Like

Do we know anything about it, other than its a MMO?

Nope, very tight about it, but it’s meant to compete in the MMO space for sure judging by the people they onboarded.

But again, you probably know this too, these mega Billion games companies can scratch massive projects on a whim if they deem it’s not worth it.

Honestly a Riot MMO is the only one I could see even having a chance at competing with WoW with how popular LoL is. Especially if it has good PvP.

LoL being the basis kinda reminds me of going from Warcraft to WoW.

7 Likes