Is the player social contract still a must to play the game?

Not really. You are agreeing to the Terms of Use/Code of Conduct, as you always have (since you first started playing in 2005). The rest of it, or really, the first part of the social contract is just encouraging people to be good to each other. If you already do that anyway, then it really isn’t directed towards you.

I hope you can understand that a company consists of a lot of different people. That, after such events, perhaps there have been a great many changes that may have happened and that those of us who are here, as well as those who may have joined more recently, may have a bit better standing then you seem to be painting everyone with… Just a thought.

I can’t speak for the first part of the social contract, though I doubt it is going anywhere anytime soon. Not sure how it is a bad thing to remind folks that we are better as a community when we are good to one another. The second part has been part of what every single player has agreed to in one form or another since 2004, and that isn’t going away.

You aren’t framed as a toxic person, you really should only take it personally if you were. Otherwise, the first section really isn’t about you, but the Code of Conduct will always require you to agree to it. We change wording now and then and it always needs updated for you to continue playing.

If you would like to play the game, play the game. If a general statement reminding people to be good to one another, along with the same renewed agreement of the Code of Conduct is a deal breaker, I’m not sure what to tell you. I wish you well in wherever your gaming takes you.

26 Likes