Is Pet Selling a Worthwhile Endeavor?

I’ve got a lot of blue quality level 1’s sitting around and I wanna know if it’s worth leveling them and then selling or if I should just sell them or if I should just put their cages in the trash compacter.

It will all depends on what pet you have. Most of the blue quality pets that are common are not worth the time to put them in the AH. The ones that are worthwhile are mostly tcg pets, store pets, or very low drop chance pets from raids or rares.

A little time checking your Auction House should give you an idea of which pets are worth bothering with. Keeping in mind, of course, that the real value isn’t necessarily what sellers are offering them for but what buyers are willing to pay.

Consider making an alt to hold on to them. Pets from BFA aren’t really worth a lot now, but in a year when noone even remembers what islands are anymore they just might appreciate.

For me, I don’t sell pets to make extra gold (I can do that much more easily), but I view myself as “trading” pets for other things that I want (talking account bound things like mounts, pets, toys). So in that vein, I look for a realm where pets sell fairly well (not just the expensive ones, but the cheap ones too) and where the things I am interested in are for sale pretty often. Usually a high pop realm, but your mileage may vary. I sell all of my extra pets this way and build up some gold on a separate realm until I can buy a pet that I want or a mount that I want. I’ve sold something like 15 or 20 Anomolous pets (I forget how to spell it…the really easy one to get doing 8.3 content). Whenever pet battle week is up, I level them up and then pop them on the AH for 500g-1250g depending on the market and so far I have sold all of them (sometimes for 500g, sometimes more). That’s not a lot individually, but once I’ve sold 10, then I have between 5000-12500g that I can spend on a pet I do want or I can bank that and keep going and eventually buy one of the more expensive ones. I also double dip and make sure to hit the Feasal brothers pet battle so I can earn some darkmoon faire tickets while levelling my pets.

So it can be worth it, but some of it boils down to what your plan is. If you are just wanting to make something off of them for your main toon, then it may or may not be lucrative depending on your realm. If you are like me and want to work towards buying the account bound things you can’t normally buy on your normal realm, then it can be with some planning. I’m sure there are other use cases out there.

2 Likes

Pets sell on the AH, just slowly. If you have an auto-posting addon like TSM, then sell the pets. I have an alt I log on every few days for that b/c of the expired mail and reposting when I feel like it instead of needing to clean bags reposting immediately.

If you don’t then just post them for 1/4 of the next price and someone will probably buy to flip fairly quickly (on your server or another).

True AH goblins might say to level the pets first as it adds 1k+ to their value, but they also sit longer. The time to leveling isn’t worth it, unless it’s Super Squirt day (like Sat Nov 14).

I bought my brutosaur with liquidating pets I accumulated from mop to legion. But many were rare and level 25. Currently I don’t have much luck selling the level 1 leftovers and duplicates I have.