Is Outlaw Supposed to be this...Convoluted?

Recently I have been leveling and gearing my rogue through Mythic+ and Vault and although I am generally enjoying the class, I am feeling kind of overwhelmed by the Outlaw spec. I expected there to be a learning curve moving from a class with rather simple rotations (Warrior) and I have been adapting to Sub rather easily but Outlaw is a whole different beast.

How the hell do yall keep track of all the combat buffs that consistently need to be reapplied while also managing the flurry of crap going on during any given Mythic+? When I was learning warrior, I used rotation helpers such as MaxDps, Hero Rotation, etc. but following the rotation addon’s recommendations while also monitoring buff uptimes, combo points, mechanics, and interrupts that are needed to perform well in these scenarios is like eating a soup sandwich while riding a unicycle.

Is there some sort of method to this madness that my warrior brain can learn or does Outlaw seem to suffer from an array of convoluted or unnecessary keystrokes that make playing the spec kind of miserable?

7 Likes

I can only recommend weak aura’s friend.

2 Likes

There are indeed a lot of stuff hapenning all at once with Outlaw and you are massively penalized for letting BF fall for even 1sec on huge pulls…!
You are penalized massively if you din’t notice S&D timer ran out!
You are penalized as well for going 2 rotations and did not pop AR CD…especially on a true bearing buff…!
If you between the eye a target and are required to swap target immediately after…well : Bang, another massive dps loss!
And finally : You are even more severely penalized if RnG gets you sequences of rolls based only on grand melee or with no truebearing or broadside, which is a massive dps loss!
Skull and crossbone is’nt bad this season b/c of tier, but still is’nt a buff as good as the 2 last mentioned.
The KiR/Resounding clarity spec is much more fun to play then the Ho build (imo anyways).
But it lacks a good 12~15% dps behind other spec.
Youl loose some dps if you dont correctly use those enhanced blue cb! But its nicely doable and rewarding, fun.
A fix to this dmgs lackluster spec would be to have Resounding clarity enhanced combo points hit as if you used full cb+1 (so 8!)
And there, the KiR/Echoing reprimand dps lack would probably be fixed and in line with other specs. (No need to make it Meta, even if its 5~% behind, I’d accept it…but right not its a good 12~15% behind all other dmgs specs)

In conclusion : Yeah, lots of stuff to pay attention at compared to all other classes & specs! :wink:
Best of luck! Hopefully they do fix KiR dmgs :slight_smile:

Thx for reading! :wink:

6 Likes

Appreciate the advice! Are there any popular WA’s that are better than most or were you always a gigachad that can process all these buffs and mechanics faster than the Flash on crack?

1 Like

Not sure where you got your information but if you’re playing HO SnC is the strongest buff you can have :joy:. You literally reroll any single buff that isn’t SnC and any two buff that includes GM other than SnC + GM.

1 Like

You practice until you get it. That’s it. Outlaw isn’t convoluted, just practice and master it. :+1:

5 Likes

Blizzard turned the chill-spec into the try-hard spec.
/shrug

2 Likes

Thats a rogue for you. We have to work harder than other classes to do the same or even worse damage, and we’re continually nerfed.

5 Likes

I dont like Ho.
But still, I might be wrong…
I may have thought S&C slightly below TB & BS, my bad.

1 Like

It’s the only class that I find engaging to play and probably the only reason I’m still subbed to the game.

Edit: I’m no longer subbed.

2 Likes

I enjoy outlaw’s playstyle. It’s meh results you get for it all that annoys me.
Meanwhile sub rogue spams like, 2 buttons most the time. It’s a joke.

2 Likes

I fixed that for you.

1 Like

Outlaw has the best theme and probably worst gameplay. At least to “play optimally.” It literally has an ability that is RNG as a button-push, plus two maintenance buffs/debuffs to keep up… and as you play, you somehow can be both flush with combo points but also somehow low on energy at a given moment.

I use a few Weakauras to help make it less frustrating:

Between the Eyes - one for if BtE isn’t on the target and is off cooldown/ready, and a second for when BtE is on the target but low duration and it’s off cooldown/ready. I know there’s mixed opinions on if you should BtE immediately on cooldown or allow it to get nearer to expiration or drop off completely so these take care of both schools of thought… usually I just use it again on cooldown.

Slice and Dice - one for if SnD isn’t active, and one for if SnD is under 10 seconds of duration.

Roll the Bones - this is one on wago.io that basically prompts if you need to reroll or not. I think it’s KiR-friendly but I don’t run with that talent.

2 Likes

You like the theme of Outlaw? Pocket pistols?

I mean, I stopped playing optimally in 2008.

2 Likes

KiR is much more fun than HO. If you’re going to do a shadowdance build, why not just play sub? To me the KiR build reminds me much more of Legion outlaw where you were able to build your buffs and get big damage windows that were decently consistent. I really don’t want to play sub.

1 Like

This is how I know you’re full of crap.

1. You prefer KIR but you don’t play dance. KIR relies on dance way more than HO. The purpose of Dance in HO is to fall back on when you exhaust ambush procs, which means most of the time its not used on cd. Some variations even skip the dance tree in favor of the tea tree for ST. Dance with Count the Odds is the core of KIR build, dance is used on CD to consistently get you full buffs, without dance KIR is pure rtb rng dependent.

lol

HO outlaw plays NOTHING like sub. If you actually play rogue you’d know.

3 Likes

I’m assuming that they were probably talking about ER KIR not Dance KIR which was totally playable before the tier set completely destroyed it + ER getting nerfed for some clown reason. To be honest I’m kinda hoping for literally any kind of buff or change that pushes it in that direction. Literally anything to revert the spec out of this absolute trash state of energy starvation and dominant dependence on SNC to do damage would be great. Man what I would give to play Kyrian Shadowdust again…

3 Likes