Is my GPU bad?

I am having trouble over here again, when I play WOW my screen turns black and my computer restarts… Idk if it’s my PSU being too weak, or I have a faulty GPU, everything in my computer is only 3 months old, I built this rig brand new, no used parts.

When my screen turns black and my comp restarts, my GPU fans start running really fast and hard, but goes back to normal when the comp is finished starting up.

Also, check your CPU. I remember right before my CPU died, it was displaying similar symptoms. Make sure you have everything updated though, all your drivers including windows…but ya seems like a hardware issue.

My CPU is running pretty cool, I always play at low Settings, even though my Ryzen 2700X can go harder, I think it’s my GPU, or maybe my 600W PSU is the issue

My PSU only costed me $40, and is a 600W EVAG, I got it from bestbuy, is it doing this cause it’s cheap brand?

I don’t mind going to buy a new GPU or PSU, I just need to pinpoint the problem

I did have a similar issue but mine I could definitely hear my PC turn off and restart. I did a lot of testing (And expensive buying) because I too thought it was my CPU as an issue until I installed a new PSU. Often when something suddenly turns off, and if it happens more and more frequently, it can very well be a PSU issue. If it was anything else, then chances are Windows would have caught it and may have given you a bluescreen and would have indexed it in its Event Viewer with explicit reason for it (Anything that isn’t the “Sudden loss of power” because that’s probably what is happening). PSUs don’t really provide errors because all it does is supply power, no information asides how much is being fed into other hardware.

When it comes to PSU, don’t ever cheap out on them, always to go for at least a gold certified and todays standard for is between 700-800W

I can’t say for sure if it is a bad PSU but its already sounding like it as is.

Also, I’d suggest posting specs of your PC build just to be safe.

Heavy caveats here, we don’t really support hardware level issues directly as Blizzard agents, but I also understand that this is a complicated issue. For a review of our official stance on restarts, as well as some of the better steps for them check this link. I wanted to chime in with a couple quick pro tips which may help you at least find the problem.

When your PC spontaneously restarts, that’s usually going to be something more critical than the GPU. It’s possible it’s the problem, but that’s not usually where I start. More frequently I worry about power issues or CPU issues like some of the other posters here mentioned. Thing is - with an issue like this, it’s somewhat difficult to find the problem because you can’t keep a log of what causes the problem with a utility like HWmonitor - because the PC is crashing so you lose all the useful data. :<

I recommend a stress test to try to duplicate it without the game running. We’re going to try checking for overheating on the CPU or GPU by running a stress test. For this, I like to run three programs - HWMonitor for hardware sensing, Heaven Benchmarking Tool to test the GPU, and Prime95 to stress test the CPU.

You’re going to need to download these three programs, and run all of them simultaneously. For Heaven, try running in windowed mode at the high graphics setting. For Prime95 you want to run the “Blend” test. All of these need to run for 2-3 hours, so I recommend doing it at a time when you can casually monitor your HWMonitor results and keep an eye out for extended periods of overheating - like during a day you’re cooking something or watching a movie or something.

Regardless of what you find with this test, typically you’ll need to take the PC to a local technician to resolve it. For instance, if the CPU is overheating, you’d want them to check the thermal paste on it and make sure there’s no problem with the heat hardware. If prime95 hits you with a RAM error, you’d need to check to make sure they’re socketed correctly, and that there aren’t any defects with it.

If you can run the test for more than 2-3 hours without an overheating CPU/GPU, then get some screenshots of the test and send them in to us, we can peep them real quick to see if we can find any problems we’d support. To do this:

1. Maximize the HWMonitor window and expand all the nodes on the left
  2. Scroll all the way up
  3. Take a screenshot with the Print Screen (prtscn) key
  4. Open up the program Paint and press ctrl+v to paste in the test
  5. Crop the screen if you want to only show the test, then save it as Test1.JPG
  6. Scroll all the way down, then repeat steps 3-5.
  7. Upload them somewhere like imgur and link us to the results. We’ll use those to look for more options.

If you have link errors, copy the code below, then copy/paste your link between two ` marks, it’ll break the link and let you post it. You can just copy paste everything in the box below and replace “Link goes here” with your link.

`
Link goes here
`
2 Likes

EVGA is a good brand . they back there products Sounds like it could be your GPU . PS should be ok if your GPU is a 2060 or under . How is dust dust will let every thing over heat .

My Comp is dust free, I found out, my GPU fans won’t turn on unless under load, i set them to at-least constantly spin at %50 while gaming, it didn’t happen again.

Imma keep playing for a few days to see if that helps the issue.

1 Like

a 600w is enough for virtually any hardware outside of multiple gpu’s. it’s possible you have a psu problem but it isn’t the watts or brand.

Nice! Thanks for reporting your findings. Let us know if it comes back, but if not, you can mark your post as the solution so future players can find it once you’ve done testing. ^^

ok Here’s an update I think it may be the PSU acting funny, cause yesterday i Put my computer into sleep mode for hours and when i tried to start WOW it automatically shut off my computer and it did it again 2 to 3 times in a row.

last time it did this is when put it into sleep mode too.

I ran scan tool and it found no errors, GPU and CPU running cool as well, so I am just thinking 600W and the CPU i got is just too weak, or faulty.

Hey there,

It’s not possible for us to verify if the PSU has enough watts to support the system without more detailed system information. However 600W is more than enough for most modern systems. Even though technology is getting more powerful, it’s also getting more energy efficient. So most newer systems actually require less power than some older ones!

That said, if you suspect a possible faulty hardware item I highly recommend speaking with a local PC technician who has physical access to the device. They have tools that can actually test the PSU for faults and similar.

Anywho, hope the info helps. Cheers!

1 Like

It’s going to be hard with Corona, going around to get someone in, but would uninstalling and re installing Battle.net and WOW fix the issue?

Comethru,

Unlikely, unfortunately. Hardware issues are usually to blame for situations where your PC shuts down completely. Even if reinstalling the game/battle.net app were to work, it’d likely just indicate that there’s a problem with the harddrive that one of them is installed on, and you will likely end up with further issues later down the line.

The PC tech is going to be the way to go if you aren’t able to isolate the problem on your own. Once we hit likely hardware issues, there’s not much else we can recommend as Blizzard, since actually messing with PC hardware is dangerous and it could hurt you or the PC if something is done incorrectly.

1 Like

Yes i got the problem fixed, it turns out it was a bad PSU, i have the $40 EVAG 600W, i remember in the past the 500W version had the same issues, I got a new and better rated, and no more random shut downs. thanks all.

1 Like

Nice! Thank you for following up with your fix. Please let us know if anything else comes up!