Is Melee Hunter going to be removed?

At least you acknowledged his happiness in your post LOL

2 Likes

Because the fantasy of living and hunting as a ancient hunter pre-bow era is cool. You make it sound like everyone should play ranged because of your reasons stated, which yes are superior, but not everyone enjoys that.

2 Likes

I for one hope not, SV is one of my favorite melee specs, I’d rather they just return old SV as a 4th spec and rename melee SV to something else.

:sob:

Gladiator warrior was great.

1 Like

We need a hunter with two pistols.

We have airplanes and spaceships. Don’t even try to argue tech.

2 Likes

but no car mount yet :sob:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/894645684492468285/932776059752046634/unknown.png

They can’t argue tech since Rogues have pistol shot.

2 Likes

Yes, it’s called ranged survival.

7 Likes

They removed it because it no longer made sense. Melee was already a heavily sidelined part of being a Hunter yet not being able to use ranged attacks within 5 yards was a major penalty that was more and more anachronistic as time went on. If that limitation still existed Hunters would be rolled over in all PvP situations and be heavily inconvenienced in many PvE ones too.

Plus, they didn’t “bring back” anything. The current sitution is utterly foreign to anything about how Hunters worked before MoP. Currently we have BM and MM being fully ranged and without a melee weapon, and SV lacking a ranged weapon and needing to stick to melee range to achieve full performance. That’s not at all what it was before.

It had plenty of identity. It was the utilitarian that used exotic munitions. It was actually a really cool take on ranged combat and meaningfully built on the core Hunter identity.

Compare that to modern SV. It’s abandoning the melee attacks for some reason, while also throwing bombs, while also shooting poison darts, while also copying a bunch of pet stuff from BM. And we are meant to believe that ranged SV hunter was “weird and had no identity”? Cause it sure does look like melee SV is a bunch of unrelated random crap thrown together with no overarching vision.

Just because clueless melee brains didn’t know what ranged Survival’s identity was doesn’t mean it didn’t have one.

Well there are just 2 ranged weapon specs in the game v.s. 13 melee weapon specs including the one you’re posting from… so actually a ranged weapon spec would be far more unique!

Melee specs are a dime a dozen now. Your spec was created and released in the same expansion as melee Survival and everyone flocked to play that instead.

The only thing unique about melee Survival is that it’s the only spec that manages to be so consistently unpopular and avoided for so many years.

Ah yes, such a compelling fantasy: a Hunter but worse!

Besides, as I detailed above: is it really an “ancient pre-bow Hunter”? It still uses several abilities with a bow, for one. And I’m not sure how throwing literal grenades around speaks “primal Hunter” to you.

8 Likes

Old surv hunter in a nutshell:

20% hp healing after enemy dies
…dark arrow? Wanna be rangers
Strange pet synergy that bm already uses.

That’s all I can remember. It was weird, generic, and awkward. And yes it has the foundation of an ancient hunter pre-bow era, yes they threw in bombs but that’s fantasy for you. Most of the kit is slashing or poking with spear thought.

1 Like

Word on the street it is seeing some serious DPS output in 9.2 :slight_smile:

1 Like

I do like that they are melee. It fit lots of Npc Aesthetic. Like frost wolves who uses Axes and fight with their pet. I wish they could use dual weild again and not just 2handed ones

1 Like

Just because you didn’t like it doesn’t mean it was “weird, generic, and awkward”

Ranged survival was my favorite spec in the game. It didn’t rely heavily on pet like BM did, it wasn’t a “marksmanship” playstyle, it was it’s own thing, dots, fire and traps.

I want it back, but that doesn’t mean they should get rid of melee survival. Just do a 4th spec .

12 Likes

They removed it because raiding starting using stacking strategies and hunters in melee still had a rotation but it had worse damage. You could still dps in melee. Instead of buffing the damage they removed it and made the skillcap for hunters lesser and fully ranged.

SV melee brought back moves that we used to weave in close range combat, it had glyphs that could give us passive damage mitigation in pvp, and was used in the mounted combat like doing the grapple quests on flying quests. Many bm abilities did not work without a pet, I used to play bm and do the melee rotation. SV was a nice magic gun spec, but it wasn’t really that different thematically from marksmin like the current sv hunter is, which is why they changed it in Legion. I am glad they brought back at least a melee spec, I personally miss using 3 weapons as a hunter. Duel-wielding stuff and a ranged weapon was why I originally liked the hunter, not to mention the pet fighting along side you.

I personally wish SV turnes back into letting us use 2-3 weapons again like many shooters, would be nice to swap weapons depending if you need more ranged or melee. That would be nicer gameplay. SV already sort of does this though with aspect of the eagle, but I would just love to have melee and ranged weapon again, and being able to transmog the weapons separately and have moves that use both weapons.

1 Like

Acient Hunter used a tool called The atlatl is also known as a spear thrower ; although, today the spear is referred to as a dart . Since the dart is fletched with feathers, it looks a like a really long arrow. The atlatl was used by the earliest Paleoindian cultures in Ohio. It continued to be the primary weapon of Native Americans in Ohio until it was displaced by the bow and arrow in the late woodland period.

Also neolithic man would hunt by digging pits then forcing their prey to falling into, which they would then throw rocks or spears to kill. Get up close to a wooly mammoth would be a death sentence. Archeologist are not sure when humans first designed spears but they were used as throwing projectiles. Evidence for this was found on ancient animal bones, which break differently if they are been hit by a projectile or stabbed.

No MSV is not a accurate representation of ancient hunters. They are far closer to the Hollywood idea of a gruella fighter or Green Berets who uses unconventional warfare, like the environment, to combat forces. MSV has no connection to the fantasy version of hunters.

3 Likes

hopefully but unlikely. Especially since t hey put in all teh work for it and dark rangers will prob be the next hero class.

I just want a hunter spec i can play in pvp without a pet. MM is not optimal in pvp without a pet due to sacrifice so i just dont play hunter. Pets in this game are so frustrating to deal with. If they just removed pet from MM and added a bunch of new abilities now that it doesnt have a pet for mobility etc it would be amazing.

I really dont understand the design for hunters. Like did they really think people wanted a full melee pet spec? the numbers dont lie hardly anybody plays survival even though is pretty good.

3 Likes

Dots, fire, and traps don’t do anything in today’s WoW in a ranged spec. Would rather bring a feral druid instead of something that throws out weak stuff as its core rotation.

My friend loves melee survival in PvP. I hope it isn’t removed. I think it brings much needed variety rather than survival going back to being some bastardized halfway point between BM and MM.

1 Like

It wasn’t weak, it was one of the top specs during cata/mop/wod until they neutered it

6 Likes

Or they could give us both and stop taking things away.

7 Likes

Because it was never good, they neutered it because the whole spec was garbage. I know because I tried it, it was questionably bad design.

Never never seen this on the forums before. Don’t have a clue where you saw this.

1 Like