Is Jewelcrafting useless?

I’ve gotten to max level, but now I have no incentive to use this profession at all. I haven’t crafted anything in weeks.

Since items with sockets are now extremely rare, there’s basically zero demand for gems at endgame levels. Sure, you can get a socket from Ve’nari, but how often does that happen?

I don’t think it’s even worth it for the gold, in my server.

I remember (was it Cata?) when gear regularly had sockets and we had our own special gems that were a bit more powerful. Back then it actually felt meaningful to be a jewelcrafter.

Any JCs here satisfied with the profession? I’m thinking of trying Alchemy. At least people still use flasks.

5 Likes

Maxed it out, havent crafted a single thing in over a month. Not worth it to craft any leggos to upgrade to the next level because the mats cost more than just buying the base leggo off the ah, so no one is going to buy mats and have you craft anything for them. Not to mention the leggos that fit these slots are better in other slots anyway. JC is a massive gold sink with no return at all.

3 Likes

Where have you been since WoD?

3 Likes

No I need gems for these sockets and I need rings and a necklace!

/ques for m0 and heroic instead.

;^;

I typically have some cut gems on the AH, they don’t make much money though.

It’s not what it used to be.

JC is useful for fresh 60 when good secondary stat is hard to get on gear pieces, but easier to stack on the neck and rings. For someone who doesn’t PVP, it is easiest way to fill those slots. This is probably true for all the crafting professions right now, a quick way to gear fresh alts.

2 Likes

Part of the problem is we’re supposed to be socketing gear with Stygia, but the bulk of the playerbase is still unlocking all the stygia-purchased Torghast upgrades. Also I think the socket cost is a biiiiiiitt high for what it gives you.

To make Crafting good , fun, any bit useful outside of people who are Flask and Feast bots, Blizz would have to go all-in on crafting, like the in-depth levels of FF14 which makes your crafting ‘class’ completely a separate class and experience. They won’t commit therefore we get zero incentive or even remote fantasy about being a blacksmith, alchemist, whatever. They just make tweaks and changes as time goes on, but the system needs a complete rework, not a series of changes.

1 Like

Most players are not doing the maw at all, the ones sticking to it are doing the weekly or just enough to progress for their campaign. I’d wager most players won’t have enough stygia/rep even in 9.1 to get the rewards.

8 Likes

I have not even bothered leveling mine to max. I stopped wasting the ore. Don’t see the point, I will never farm the Maw so I have no use for it this time around.

Isn’t this pretty much true of all professions?

2 Likes

In bfa it was pretty convenient (although costly) to pre-stock on expulsom enough to endure upgrades to mythic while you swapped through all the professions to max (so like in s4 getting 470 ring and then applying to both slots, and then doing the same for alch stone, and then lastly the armor type engineering helm+Tailoring/leatherworking/blacksmithing slots.

Although most people aren’t apt to change professions cause they have removed patterns or they “identify” as that profession to a degree cause they had it for so long.

1 Like

Away, yeah.

I don’t know, is it? I can think of at least enchanting and alchemy for which there’s regular demand outside of legendaries.

No way, Alchemy is awesome. I’m crafting daily.

I’m a JC and it’s not useless by any means as people need gems, but it’s not a money maker at all.

It used to pay for my sub, that’s laughable now, maybe if you sat on the AH all day you’d be doing something, but even Tuesdays where I’ll sell maybe 100 gems it’s still less than 5k total gold tops, so if that’s peak you can see it’s nothing special.

Honestly more gold to be made selling the ore rather than prospecting and losing gold in the process.

You break 5 pieces of Ore that’ll sell for 10 - 50 g each, to make something that’ll sell for sub 50 gold. Not 100% of the time but pretty close.

2 Likes

Yeah, enchanting and alchemy get some use but they really don’t make much money. You’re generally better off just vendoring stuff rather than disenchanting it and better off selling herbs rather than leveling alchemy.

1 Like

They intentionally gimp crafting so that it only serves a very minimal, systemic function (like producing leggo base pieces) to ensure players are still forced as much as possible into the main treadmill. They don’t want players to feel like they can actually focus or specialize in crafting in any way, and as such most of them have been made 95% useless outside of one specific function.

3 Likes

I have maxed JC and not worth it at all. Gems are too cheap to sell. Legendaries mats cost to make is around as much as buying a made one in ah. For making money is not worth it. To craft gems for socket, just buy in ah. It’s like less than 100 gold per gem. All I do is prospecting mats gems for legenday to sell. I made some but not a gold maker profession.

3 Likes

Or hates the Maw too much to ever get anywhere close to sockets, hi

5 Likes

With enchanting getting a guarantee X number of items that can be enchanted, JC should get the same number of items with gem slots.

It does not need to be the same slots but it should be the same number of items.

JC was my main money maker back in the day. Currently I only craft for myself and alts.

2 Likes