Is it Ok lorewise that male night elf be demon hunters?

Quite frankly, I don’t think you know anywhere near enough to be commenting on the power of the Night Elves in lore. They are easily among the strongest races in the World of Warcraft and are a fundamental member of the Alliance.

The rebel Kaldorei, together with their Wild God allies, pretty much single-handedly fought off the innumerable forces of the Legion that threatened Azeroth in the War of the Ancients, a threat that has arguably only been matched by the most recent Legion invasion which left Azeroth on the verge of death. Since the Sundering, they’ve kept relatively unending peace across Kalimdor. This, of course, was disrupted twice by C’Thun in the War of the Shifting Sands and the vast armies of satyrs in the War of the Satyr respectively but even then, the Kaldorei were overwhelming successful in both instances.

Blizzard’s depiction of the Night Elves in the game is admittedly quite poor by and large but even that isn’t entirely true as there are at least a few Kaldorei characters that have remained relevant up until now since even as far back as Warcraft 3, such as Tyrande, Malfurion, and Illidan. To see some instances of them being weak in game and then extrapolate that to mean that they’re just entirely weak in the lore is at best incredibly ignorant and at worst blatantly dishonest.

Also, Xavius isn’t a b tier villain. He is arguably primarily responsible for the Legion’s first invasion of Azeroth, having been the first to make contact with Sargeras, and is also directly responsible for Nzoth’s corruption of the Emerald Dream.

Just a quick note, no. Do not take what is depicted in game over the outside lore. Almost all of the novels and books, most notably the Chronicles, are canon. The entire point of the outside lore is to clarify the stuff in game because a lot of it doesn’t make sense due to WoW being an MMO. There is also a difference between the books and the RPG. All of the things in the RPG are not canon. The books, like the Illidan novel and Wolfheart, are canon.

Another note, the entire point of Val’sharah was to depict their weakness. That was literally the entire point of the zone. It was meant to build up to the first raid tier which had us travel into the Emerald Nightmare to defeat Xavius and avenge Ysera, while also getting payback for the corrupting of Shaladrassil and of Cenarius which happened earlier in the questline.

4 Likes

You are coming off as being really arrogant, elitist and insulting, please refrain from commenting further. I wish to keep the thread civil with respectful exchange, exactly what it was before you came in.

Thank you

1 Like

I don’t think it was that arrogant as you seem rather uninformed but it’s your post so I will comply. I won’t respond beyond this.

However, I’d just like to say that if you don’t know much about a certain thing, you probably shouldn’t be making declarative statements about it. Spreading misinformation for the sake of preserving your pride is worse than acting neutrally and admitting ignorance.

2 Likes

Pot meet kettle.

You were assuming that in game lore is all the lore there is to WoW, which is arrogance in itself. As Bravenheart said the outside lore (ie the books) clarify the in game stuff and fill in gaps that the game, by virtue of it being a MMORPG can’t cover.

The whole point of the game is to have the player character feel powerful. To do that they weaken the NPC’s power levels. It would be a boring game if all the big fights, the raids and so on consisted of the players standing around watching Tirion, Malfurion, Illidan or any of the other lore based npc’s do all the fighting. Players want to fight the big bad villain. The down side of that is that the major lore characters aren’t shown at their true power levels.

You are being arrogant in the extreme if you reject the idea that there is more to the story than you are being shown in game, and you are being even more arrogant and elitist when you tell someone who disagrees with you to leave your thread. Perhaps you should actually pay attention to what he said. You might just learn something.

3 Likes

Ok, seems this discussion is not going away, so I will try to answer.

If Braven wants to continue it, all good, the mistake that I’ll admit having made is asking him to stop posting, sorry for that. A forum is to discuss, I just want it to be respectful.

The problem I had is that he said I was ignorant ( basically dumb ) and dishonest. So he attacked me, the poster behind Hansem. If you want to teach me something, you do not have to start by saying I am an idiot.

Thus, asking him to leave my thread was perfectly justified, how would YOU react to somewhat coming up to you in the street saying you are an idiot without you having adressed him or her.

You are telling me it’s a case of pot meet kettle…well, no, I never attacked him personnally. The worse I could be accused of is lacking respect towards the Night Elves, a fantasy race that does not exist.

Back on topic, Our different view comes from the importance that we grant to lore sources. You, and Bravenheart, seems to give a lot of importance to the books and outside lore. I have read them all. I was in one of the best RP guild all servers included before they sadly stopped playing WoW, Midnight Reveries. I am not ignorant, nor dumb, and if you ask many people in game I am a, at least, good RPer.

But my primary source of lore is the game, because WoW lore is one guy, Chris Metzen. He basically created Warcraft and all the lore around it. I understand that they tolerate the books, but the books are not written by Metzen. They are secondary sources at best, but Blizzard will always be the genius behind Warcraft, not second rate authors like Christie Golden.

The two biggest piece of lore that we have towards relative strength of the Night Elves are Val’Sharah and the Burning of Teldrassil, with Tyrande being kicked around by Nathanos in the follow up.

Nowhere up to this date, in game, have the Night elves ever been portrayed has being particularly strong.

I think my question was a legit one, the man were not used in their military at all, they do not have any heroes worth mentionning, and the one that get mentionned are far from impressive.

Saying someone is ignorant is not the same as calling someone stupid or an idiot. It just means that you don’t know something. It can be used in a hostile fashion to call someone stupid or w/e but I did not mean it in that way. I just assumed you were unaware of the specific lore I was mentioning.

My bad there. Also, I participated near the beginning of the thread so it’s not like I came out of no where.

I also don’t see how they only just tolerate the books as I’m 95% sure Blizzard publishes the Chronicle books and also the person that wrote the book Before the Storm, literally works for Blizzard as a story writer. You can call her “second rate” but that’s really just an ad hominem. She works for the company and the books she wrote are widely regarded as being good so I’ll take her word over some random player, frankly.

Well, I interpreted it in the wrong way, I stand corrected.

I think that the best way to summarize all this is that I use game lore to establish a power ranking if you will, and Night Elves are pretty much presented as wimpy in the game.

So, if we want to be constructive and in an attempt to get to see the Night Elves as you and Bryah sees them, is there any questline I could do in game that would put them in a good light. I mean I tried Ashenvale as it was one of their main hibs, but even in Ashenvale they need the humans to rescue them towards the end.

If I want to be a bit more clear, Varian Wrynn basically one shot a Fel Devastator and hold for a bit most of the legion army in the cinematic where he dies, is there any kind of glory moments like that for night Elves.

And make no mistake, I want them to be strong, I want Hansem to be my main RP toon for BFA, so I would be the happiest person if I could find it.

If not I’ll reread WOTA I guess, might get some ideas from there. Thanks in advance.

If I’m being honest, I doubt there is really outside of just the Night Warrior questline which you probably already did. Pretty much all of the savageness and brutality of the Night Elves even from Warcraft 3, which is a lot more in line with the lore, is non existent in Wow. As someone who knows and likes a great deal of their lore, this is honestly one of the most disappointing conversions from lore to game in the Warcraft series.

Another point, I simply don’t understand the idea of basing your character’s strength around what is shown in game. Most of the RP community at least partially bases their characters’ power relative to what is shown in the lore. There’s also just so much more information, both of quality and quantity in the lore as opposed to the game.

In my view, you’re honestly setting yourself up for failure if you’re trying to build a character who’s power is balanced around what is shown in game. I’m not sure, maybe that’s something more possible in other games, but Wow lore is so far separated from what actually gets transferred into the game due to just the sheer amount of players that don’t give a crap.

I mean I wish you luck with it if you really want to go that path but I’m not sure what kind of advice or anything else I can offer you.

Well, while I really understand your point, there is a good percentage of people I RP with on WrA ( not all mind you, but a significant number ) that have no interest at all in reading material outside of the game.

They are gamers, first and foremost, and what they like is World of Warcraft, not a book about World of Warcraft if you know what I mean. I guess I could convince them to play warcraft 3 when it relaunches.

Also, many of them I convinced to switch over from FF14 to WoW, and in FF14 all of the RP content was delivered in game. So they kind of expect the same thing currently with WoW.

I mean…the demon hunters in WC3 literally are male night elves. As was the guy who started the entire class.

http://classic.battle.net/war3/nightelf/units/demonhunter.shtml

Isn’t this enough of a lore justification?

1 Like

Isn’t there like a FF movie or something? The Lore of Final Fantasy goes beyond FF14. (( Wow there are 14 of them games talk about longevity… ))

Anyway Warcraft is not much different in that a lot of the lore is not only in “World” of Warcraft, but also Warcraft 1-3. The later of which I believe is where the Night Elves come in. Malfurion Blew up Hyjal and the World Tree there to stop the Burning Legion. he had help from the Wisps mind you but that is still an impressive feat. Sylvanas needed an army and Elementals to simply torch Teldrassil. Then there is the Dark shore Warfront Cinematic.

You can always heck that out for recent Kaldorei developments.

For prior visual aid you can check out The Lost Codex series on the Night Elves.
(( Part One ))

(( Part Two ))

(( Part Three ))

(( Part Four ))

They really are quite the watch and if you love Kaldorei lore these would be the videos to watch.

2 Likes

I would heavily recommend picking up the novel “Illidan” written by William King. It explains everything that happens between the events of Warcraft 3 up to Illidan’s defeat in the Burning Crusade expansion and in my opinion it’s one of the best canon novels that Blizzard has ever put out.

It’s a serious crime that Christie Golden was brought onto the Story Team instead of William King. His books put hers to shame.

3 Likes

Awesome, Thank you very much for this, I will watch them :slight_smile:

You are very welcome lad. It is strange, I love the lore behind the race but could never seem to get into playing them. That’s why I have my dwarf here being raised / trained by them.

I hate to break it to you like this… but Illidan… the original Demon Hunter… is seriously… a guy.

The yawning maw of the abyss opens, the hellish glow of the story forums floods every corner of this thread and casts the sky in perpetual darkness. From here comes a chorus of agonized screams and wails as salt begins to flood the once untainted ground of the WET forum. From this vortex of blackness comes the shambling corpse of a Forsaken, wreathed in blight and dressed in a mossy green robe and hood, as if to mock nature itself.

His face is filled with cynicism and contempt, his eyes devoid of light as he looks at those assembled. This twisted perversion of life flares with void energy as he points to the OP and utters a few words.

“Guys, this is bait.”

4 Likes