Is classic getting dedicated physical servers?

So, in the first few months that you did have War Mode on, did you actually participate in raid versus raid WPvP? 80 players gums up the modern servers badly.

If you didn’t, I don’t understand the purpose of your comments at all lol.

I mean a few times was in kul tiras and had a few guild raids with like 60 plus guildies attacking the capital and never experienced lag.

Servers are one of the things we know the least about.

The reason you see lag is from some combination of two things: your computer and the servers. I don’t know what kind of rig you have, but the particle effects from 80+ players can definitely slow down the average computer. If your computer isn’t a concern, then obviously the servers are the source of the problem. However, BfA has significantly higher particles and significantly higher res everything else. The old graphics will only use a fraction of the processing power, there shouldn’t be any server lag in classic until there are at least a few hundred people in one area.

If they don’t use cloud servers I’d be worried. If you know anything about load balancing clusters are far better then static dedicated boxes will ever be. FWIW our company uses AWS and serves around 30,000 active users on 4-6 boxes. It scales based on CPU and never goes under 4 and rarely pushes past 6. Dedicated hosting isn’t used by most companies these days.

You know who uses dedicated physical servers for anything these days?

No one.

1 Like

It’s really not.

Nice anecdote. Worthless, but nice.

Have you experienced a city raid with 100+ people lately?

This is not client side lag or low FPS that can be fixed by upgrading the hardware in the user’s computer.

See above.

People running in place, several minute long lag spikes, etc, are NOT issues caused by a poor rig.

We can hope this alleviates the issue somewhat or entirely, but I doubt it will. This is an especially important point in the argument for why there shouldn’t be a graphics toggle.

Private Servers.

1 Like

LOL.

‘cause we compare commercial IT practises to what some private server admin does.

Jesus Christ.

Are physical servers even made, anymore?

On the 100+ city raid. Yes i have…and no i had no lag. But tru again.

Gonna press X to doubt on that one, bud.

1 Like

There hasn’t been any mention of committing more hardware to this project and it’s likely they are just going to try and run it concurrently with retail. The technical requirements are all known or can be computed and the methods to improve performance aren’t a mystery. It’s just whether or not they are going to commit the resources.

The best thing we can do as the consumer is if/when there are issues to flood the forums and in game with tickets and complaints.

Hopefully things like the debuff limit and hots not stacking will lessen some of the load. If there is a beta, a city raid should absolutely be tested specifically. if nothing else, it’s just good fun.

I’ve noticed the game seems to lag more with each expac. I think it’s mostly because the game isn’t well optimized. The engine is ancient and even with good hardware the game doesn’t run well. Classic won’t have all the added effects and graphics/physics that were added over the years. I’m sure classic will run just fine.

Yeah all of this and - my problem with sharding/Xrealm is not because I pvp, it is because it messes with the integrity of the world. Many times I will, for instance, be gathering and see an herb or a mining node and run to it to pick it up only to see it magically disappear. I will go back to where I just was and it will reappear. I go over to it again and it disappears again. This is apparently an effect of sharding or Xrealm. I am not a coder so the indepth explanations of how and why this happens are a bit beyond me but it seems silly to explain that his must happen to balance server load since everywhere I go anymore the severs seem empty. I really don’t want to see this sort of thing happening in Classic. It felt more like one continuous world then.

I mean you can. But you would be wrong.

LMFAO no one has talked about Ddos yet… how long do you think we’ll be able to play classic at launch once the DDOS starts?

Nope. The Internet is made up of unicorn farts that form a cloud.

1 Like

AFAIK they put further mitigation in against DDOS after Legion. We’ll see how it works.

1 Like

I mean, the “cloud” is literally just a bunch of servers. So there’s that.

1 Like