Is Bolvar being the Lich King common knowledge now?

Obviously from a player standpoint practically everyone knows who the current Lich King is. But in-game how many people know the truth of what happened at the end of Wrath. I remember the shiver up my spine when Bolvar said ‘Tell them that the Lich King is dead, and that Bolvar Fordragon died with him.’ It was iconic in WoW’s lore because it was one of the most memorable moments of WoW’s height. But I started to wonder if the average citizen of Azeroth knows that Bolvar is now the Lich King or if stopped being a secret sometime after Legion when Bolvar became more active again. Obviously the big name characters probably know about it. But does the bread vendor NPC in Stormwind or the Questgiver in Darkshore know about it?

I’m 90% sure that only the player character, the Ebon Blade, and Tirion knew Bolvar became the new Lich King. Tirion is dead now, so only the player character and the Ebon Blade know the truth, in lore.

Oh whoops, I forgot that Sylvanas also knows. Since she walked up to Bolvar’s frozen throne and punched it putting a crack in it.

2 Likes

Doesn’t the Horde know though since I just remembered that the Horde leaders ask the Horde player to go to Icecrown to figure out who told Vol’jin to make Sylvanas the Warchief?

3 Likes

I mean I doubt the average Horde person knows. The only members of the Horde that do know would be the Horde player character, and Sylvanas. Unless Sylvanas went around telling everyone Bolvar is now the Lich King I doubt anyone knows, maybe Sylvanas did tell the other Horde leaders, but I the general populace probably doesn’t know.

2 Likes

My headcanon is that all the racial and faction leaders were told by the Argent Crusade what happened for the sake of them preparing for when Bolvar gets fully mind controlled by Ner’zul and that they need to prepare. Some high ranking officers in the Alliance and Horde know but not the average person.

That makes sense. Although when Anduin mentions Bolvar to Taelia he sounds like he doesn’t know Bolvar is the Lich King. It sounded to me like he thinks Bolvar is died.

4 Likes

There is a rumor that Bolvar is the Lich King.

Prior to Legion, if you talked to Farthing after defeating the Archbishop in the Hour of Twilight instance, he dismisses the idea that Benedictus was a member of the twilights hammer, equating it to saying that Bolvar became the Lich King.

h ttps://wow.gamepedia.com/Farthing#Quotes

Considering that Muradin & Saurfang knew that Bolvar was still alive, but we never got his body, some might put two and two together. Including Jaina, as she knew about the “There must always be a Lich King” from Uther (she later told Varian about it, likewise Sylvanas told Thrall).

What I am looking foward to, that is if blizzard does it, is how Taelia will react.

7 Likes

The way I see it, the heads of state know and the PCs know, but the pool outside of that isn’t too big.

Especially when the commoner probably wouldn’t understand defeating the Lich King only to crown a new one.

1 Like

Farthing incidentally was infact a Twilight’s Hammer agent… I dare say his replacement is also an Agent of the Twilight’s Hammer considering he states the same thing as Farthing…

The Cathedral of the Light should be put on lockdown honestly! Of course doing so would probably just cement the joining of any Priests resisting the call in which case the Cathedral might as well be burned down!

1 Like

…when did this happen?

1 Like

Edge of Night.

She knows there’s a replacement Lich King, but I’m not sure if she knows it’s Bolvar specifically. I’m not sure if anyone outside the Ebon Blade, Anduin, and Jaina knows that detail. (And, formerly, Varian and Tirion. And probably Talia, soon.)

4 Likes

Oh yes. TY!

1 Like

It seems that at least some of the leadership on both sides are aware but it isn’t common knowledge. Most people probably believe that the Lich King is dead and the Scourge just either died off or went dormant once he died, which is exactly why Bolvar told them to keep it a secret.

Unless I’m mistaken, at least up until Cataclysm, only the players, the Argents, Sylvanas, and and Varian knew Bolvar was the Lich King.

But by Legion, I don’t believe Bolvar was very subtle about his revamped recruitment of bodies to join the Scourge. So I think it’s fairly common (if not by the common folk then by the important ones) that Bolvar is the Lich King and the Scourge is rebuilding.

In WoD, the leader of the EB visits your inn and screams in public “We want you to investigate BOLVAR THE LICH KING to see if he’s a threat.”

9 Likes

Vol’jin, Baine, and Talanji should know too now.

According to the cinemeatic, Bolvar charged Tirion with keeping that knowledge secret. Paladins don’t let other Paladins down in that regard.

Yeah. But Bolvar expounded upon that secret in front of 10-20 murderhobos who’d trade their own soul for 10 gold and a small bauble. Which is probably why there were rumors about Bolvar among the general populace of Stormwind as early as Cata.

1 Like

yea… id really preferred those anonymous murderhobo times, less responsibility and plot was somewhat coherent, now that we are somewhat famous murderhobo we dont have time for that.

Somewhat Famous Player is the Raid Leader obviously! The other Raiders are probably random soldiers aside from the 2 Tanks(only Tanking non-healers are Death Knights, Warriors and Demon Hunters) and the 5 Healers(Priest, Monk, Paladin, Shaman and Druid).