Is Benevolence a joke

As Holy, I would probably not give up PW: Life even in a raid setting. PW: Life is essentially on-demand burst healing that can be done on the move, which priest has very little of. And it is done at a clutch moment to save a teammate.

Benevolence would look better on the meters. But healing is not just about optimizing meter-chasing. A lot of being a good healer comes down to what you do in those clutch moments when someone is knocked down to 5% health and you only have a second to save them.

Sure, Serenity exists, but it’s not nearly as on-demand because it has a longer cooldown, and you’re spending it at the first opportunity even on people who aren’t below 30% HP.

As Disc, I might give up PW: Life, because Disc has a beefier PW: Shield that can be used to save a near-death teammate.

Unbuffed, my PW: Life does 120k non-crit on a target below 35%. Granted, that’s as Holy. Disc is 83k non-crit without atonement, 115k with atonement.

Last time i was using it , it was doing sweet FA. Even 83k would feel meh to me personally

Any and all talents with the new talent systems that just add a number to primary or secondary stats and nothing else is simply a placeholder
 or it should be only viewed as a placeholder because either lack of interesting ideas or lack of time to code/approve the more interesting ideas.

Doesn’t matter if it’s in the beginning, middle or end of a talent tree. They are boring and uninspiring choices that should not even exist within these new talent systems.

The issue with PWL is that it gets limited use in raid. When you have 4-5 healers people usually shoot up above 35% pretty fast. I can cast it maybe 1-2 times in a 6 minute fight if that. So in that situation I’d rather just get the flat 3% hps increase.

In M+: I cast PWL often, but at the end of the day when I look at my logs PWL is <3% of my overall healing.

The thing I don’t like about the talent is its overly punishing if people are above 35% because what often happens is somebody gets hit below 35% and in the GCD of me about to press the key they use a health pot or some kind of self healing to push themselves above 35%. So by the time I hit PWL on them they’re already at 50% hp and now its on a 30s cd.

Also, 3% doesn’t sound a lot, but combine this with the new PoM reducing talent for Holy, and it’s like we’re getting an 8-10% hps buff.

2 Likes

I feel like the ability could just have a 10 second CD and not be too strong. It is, after all, a capstone talent.

Yeah but that is sort of the point. It’s a lazy alternative to having another button to press.

Shadowfiend is a talent that, when you’re shadow, does less than 1% of your overall damage in essentially any fight. And it’s a 3 minute cooldown. As holy you pick it up solely because its an effortless talent point that gives some mana regen. As discipline you get it for free.

A 3 minute cooldown shouldn’t need 5+ talents to be good - it should just be good already. Dedicating entire branches to the discipline and shadow trees to making it useful instead of an extra button is wasting design space in exactly the same way that Shadow Crash/Whispering Shadows being separate and the refusal to baseline Dispersion an Silence is wasting design space.