Is autohotkey allowed?

Title - seeing some people use it and the alarm in my head told me this wasnt a great idea to use becasue of ToS, right?

4 Likes

As far as I know depends what you’re doing with it. I don’t think they will ban you just for using it.

1 Like

Automation is against TOS but Blizzard rarely ever enforces it. If you aren’t obvious enough to get reported or run it for long periods of time, no one cares.

1 Like

Back in the original TBC, before Blizzard took a stance on AFKing in BGs, I may know an elf who, may or may not have employed auto-hotkey to allow her to queue up for neo-AV and valiantly guard the cave. This allowed said elf to accrued honor points where she napped. Eventually, she was busted and hit with a warning from Blizzard and stripped of the honor points she had accumulated (but still kept the gear lolol).

1 Like

Blizzard has made a statment in the past you can find on google easy if you cared.

Auto hotkey is not illegal to run.

That being said they were vary clear when saying so using a script may or may not be illegal based on what you do. They used an example of (this was pre multi box changes) using a script to make a key “spammablw” ie you hold it down to send a input every sec as legal as it’s something you can do with your hardware anyways and still requires you to make a keystoke ie hold the button.

That being said since multiboxing changes this example may no longer be acceptable.

In short it’s a use at your own risk case. If you follow the rule of one action per keystoke blizzard uses for macros you should be fine. If you start making it that you press one key once and your entire rotation happens for a unlimited amount of time till you turn it off you are def in the botting category and may be banned if they picked to enforce it.

That being said I know people that have used it for years to diff levels without being banned. Many use it for spammable keys so you hold a button to keep using that button. I know those that use it for toggle keys thou and haven’t been actioned meaning they press a key to turn on there rotation press a key to turn it off which I wouldent recommend.

1 Like

The noobs are trying to sneak raids in between work hours

The pros have wow playing itself during work hours

Why play the game at all🤣

1 Like

I believe the way he may potentially be thinking of using AHK is in reference to a small amount of drama going around the PvP scene atm. (Making a guess here maybe not)

The way some sketchy players are using it in the PvP scene is essentially making it so you can use a ton of abilities way faster than the GCD allows you.

(11) [WOW] MORE TORSTEN CHEATING | ZIQOFTW - YouTube - Clip for clarification on kinda how it works

This essentially allows you to do a ton of damage that normally should never happen or perform certain actions in game that wouldn’t be possible given the GCD. I personally don’t play Warrior enough but I do think that Bloodrage/Rend/Stance/Swaps to sword/board/Shield Bash is a bit sus in that literal second.

3 Likes

If it’s bypassing the gcd it’s a clear expoilt regardless of the program or not.

Haven’t looked into it so can’t say.

If it’s not bypassing anything any only making it possible to use multi spells in a action that could otherwise be possible for a human but not likly it’s likly in a safe area of use based on past examples but that’s blizzards call they can go both ways and community outcry often can inpact that call.

As even gnome sec macros allow you to batch more spells than normal and have been used for years to do that as well as make more complex macros.

This assumes thou that he has it basicly macroed in via ahk. If he’s using ahk to detect and make the call like eg the hunter melee weaving ahk was doing in tbc it’s clearly a expoilt as that is automation.

1 Like

that being said.

1 Like

When I was a kid I used autohotkey to bind send left click + M + left click to my Q key. This was so I could do quick force-move surrounds in WC3 with ghouls, grunts, footmen etc. Around 2nd season of frozen throne I heard they were banning people for it so I got rid of AHK and asked my parents for a new mouse, and bound it to one of the side buttons, which does exactly the same thing and actually worked out better than Q. Back then there weren’t so many functionalities from AHK, and they were already banning for it. Back then it was just as the name suggests; a hotkey tool. Now it’s got all conditional logic, recursion, data structures, all sorts of user libraries. Way too powerful, but then again so are alot of these addons we all use.

1 Like

You can absolutely get suspended for using AHK.

It was legal in classic but when they changed the rules on multi-boxing AHK started getting flagged as it was what primarily enabled most multi-boxing software. I personally have never gotten flagged, but there were tons of people on the multibox forums who claimed they were getting hit right after the change for just having AHK running while playing WOW, even if they weren’t actively using multibox software

1 Like

All the Chinese guilds use it in tandem with WAs to automate their rotations in raid. Blizzard can’t even be bothered to handle bots, let alone losers who need automation to parse well.

They were getting reported by people who see their multiple accounts traveling together. AHK is used by a lot of people for software outside of WoW, it doesn’t get flagged.

1 Like

Thank you for the replies. I cant reply to everyone but the information here has been awesome. I appreciate and thank all of you

have a great day!

1 Like

I’ve had AHK running in the background for the entirety of Classic (I use it to have volume-changing keys on my keyboard) and nothing has happened.

Anyone who claims to have gotten banned just by having AHK running in the background is lying.

I imagine it has a lot to do with how it’s being used.

For example, I used it in Guild Wars 2 to play songs on the music instruments (Rick Rolling a crowd of people on the harp was good stuff). That’s pretty harmless. Never had issues.

If you’re using it for a competitive advantage it’ll probably be actioned.

No one got banned for using it with WAs to automate rotations. If AHK isn’t flagged then Blizz isn’t watching it. Doesn’t matter what people use it for.

Blizzard doesnt care so do whatever you want

1 Like

Way back in the day I used autohotkey with tradeskillmaster to list/cancel/go to mailbox/relist. Thunder bluff was great for this.

Also was great for multi boxing.

Now, Definitey don’t use it. TOS changed.

1 Like

Well it’s used at high end pvp but blizzard doesn’t seem to care about the pvp community so who knows. Maybe a few pve’rs should use it so we can actually get it fixed in pvp lol.

1 Like

There’s a bunch of videos on reddit just look up “Wotlk arena and cheaters” and u can see people using different stuff at the top of the ladder. https://www.reddit.com/r/classicwow/comments/12xriyb/wotlk_arena_and_cheaters/

1 Like