...is Aegwynn alive?

I want Blizzard to add Me’dan to be a (non-villain) hated character who’s added because he’s hated, and not hated just because he was written badly.

Sort of like some Punk kid from Naruto who’s hated because of his personality and antics.

1 Like

If that were the case he’d actually live up to being Medivh’s son.

The thing is, he gave up those powers after he defeated Cho’gall. So he never was the Guardian really. Besides, I feel like people just buff him up to justify their outrage. Sure he could use the light and elemental magic, but he was naturally gifted in the arcane. Those other two he had trouble with.

I feel like most people who hate on Me’dan have never read the comics and just joined on the bandwagon to sound cool. As always, anger that lead people to believe hyperbole is reality.

Which is my issue with Aegwynn.

Me’dan never being the guardian is pointless, as if the rest of the comic entirely is still canon, why would Aegwynn empower Me’dan when she could fight Cho’gall herself?

She literally did it because he was the Guardian and had all the powers of being the Guardian.

Aegwynn lost a large majority of her power when she resurrected her son following his death in the first war.

What power she had left she gave to her grandson after Cho’gall got a massive buff from C’thuns rotting corpse.

But if Me’dan never got the Guardian powers, he wouldn’t have enough power to fight Cho’Gall, even with her boost.

Which is why I’m wondering if Aegwynn is still alive and just hiding.

She went under an assumed name as Jaina’s chambermaid, so what if it’s a similar situation now.

With Legion and chronclies, blizzard has tried to recontextualize what it means to be a “guardian”. We got the actual definition, which was to receive the power from several other Archmages via the forge of the Guardians. Then we have Medivh, who was born the next Guardian and was considered to be the Guardian despite that he never took part in the “ritual”. Hell, Medivh would later come to terms that he was never really a Guardian due to Sargeras controlling him for most of his life as one. He says that Khadgar is a true Guardian because of his actions, not his power level.

Me’dan still received the powers of a Guardian (although what power Aegwynn had left), defeated Cho’gall and gave them back. However Aegwynn died during that time period.

He still had a huge power boost from the new “Council of Tirisfal” channeling their magics to him. It wasn’t specifically the Guardian power and wasn’t remotely as powerful as the true Guardian power. Aegwynn sending him what remained of her power (which was far less than in her prime, since she’d passed most of it on to Medivh and later expended even more bringing him back to life) tipped the battle back in Med’an’s favor enough to win when the further “upgraded” Cho’gall had him on the ropes. By that time she wasn’t nearly powerful enough to confront Cho’gall herself.

When it comes down to it Cho’gall was powerful, but not so powerful as to require a true Guardian to defeat him. Each Guardian was more powerful than the last, because each prior Guardian had returned the power to the Forge, which was comprised of their own personal power as well as the cumulative power of all the previous Guardians and Councils of Tirisfal. By the modern era, a legit Guardian was more magically powerful than any lord of the Burning Legion except for Sargeras himself, and could have incinerated Cho’gall at his strongest with minimal effort.

To be honest I think they’ll leave that whole thing ambiguous. Aegwynn will simply never show up again. And to be fair she wasn’t exactly advertising who she was anyway so if there is some old lady refugee from Theramore about, nobody’s going to notice.

If you havent heard of the character ingame it is usually a good idea to think they got this treatment:

1 Like

There are quite a few characters that only exist in the external material and none of them are as controversial as Me’dan (while still being canon). For example Jevan Grimtotem. I believe the main heroes of the traveler series haven’t been name dropped in game as well.

Medivh had stripped his mother of all her magic save the longevity spell that kept her alive past her time.

She burned that to help Jaina I think, which cost her her life.