Is 5K enough?

Hello,

So I’m looking to build my wife and I a high end gaming computer and I’m trying to see if I can get a ballpark figure on how much I would need to spend per desktop. I’m looking for a build that has around 32/64GB of ram. Something powerful to run dual 27 inch monitors at 4K/60hz. Good at multitasking and running most games at high/ultra settings.

Thanks!

For 4k gaming, you’ll need a beefy graphics card for newer AAA games, so as long as you can budget around $800-1600 or more for a graphics card alone, consider it. Otherwise, I would actually recommend 1440p displays as they look great and are much easier to drive and your hardware will remain relevant for much longer not trying to do 4k.

2 Likes

I was going to grab a beefy graphics card for sure. I have to stay at 4K because my wife already bought me the dual monitors when we got married.

1 Like

if $5k doesn’t include the monitors in the budget, you have a lot of room to make a custom PC the way you want, including cosmetics

so about 2500 per pc? just the dual 4k monitors might eat up 1/2 the budget me thinks

edit:
just saw the other post… you are a lucky man! and i think i misread the original post. 5k is more than enough for one pc but you should build her one too

1 Like

It would be 5K per PC. I’ve been given the green light to spend as much as I want to build one as long as I build her one as well. So while I could go crazy I’m trying to keep it around 10K total.

5k each?! jesus, but yeah thats enough… 5k total and you might be pushing it. im looking to upgrade mine, mobo, cpu, ram, cooler and gpu, and im like $1200, without a severely overpriced GPU yet…

the X3D variants are coming out probably mid feb for the new am5 amd’s, thats what im waiting on now and hopefully a 7800xt will be out by then and not way over priced.

Well I definitely misread your original post.

Buy all the things.

1 Like

nice

prioritize a good power supply first… like a 1000 watt titanium seasonic. you’ll need it for the high end graphic card and cpu since you can afford it.

POWER Supply unit and cooling units. These two are very very important the higher your PC is. Make sure to get very durable and reliable brand and model for these two parts since it can literally make your pc last longer or make it explode in a short time. I made the mistake of trying to save money from cooling units before and regretted it with fried GPU and CPUs

What brand would you recommend? I usually just been told to aim for 80+ Gold for whatever PSU I aim for.

Yea i think a lot of brands are more or less the same now. just needs to be 80+ certified since it means it is guaranteed to give at least 80% of advertised capacity.

For PSU I have used coolermaster twice now and so far it has not let me down since I have switched to it. My first PC I used a generic psu and it shorted out quickly for me.

If within your budget the platinum series has what you need. I went for their Gold series which is good but wish I had the budget for the platinum. The Gold series available in my country has only 850w highest which is more than enough for what my setup need but would probably struggle if I upgrade stuff in my pc to consume more power. Also remember PSU capacity degrades over time that is why people here suggests to get at least 1000w to have that big buffer/Allowance for long term use.

https ://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/power-supplies/#!/Series=V%20Platinum%20Series

5k will get you a really nice gaming machine and even a generator to run it on.

2 Likes

big seasonic fan here

Seasonic, Corsair (not CX models), EVGA, Cooler Master, and Thermaltake all make good PSUs. A few of them may still buy from Seasonic with their label. Basically avoid no-name companies selling a PSU for like $39.99.

You would have to make some really questionable decisions to hit $5k for one PC. Even with RTX4090 GPU.

Such as?

/10char

5K per machine is approaching a nonsense level budget.

Put some of it into really nice peripherals. These are the parts you actually physically interact with. A really nice headset, quality KB, good chairs etc. Maybe think about a UPS to protect the investment too.

1 Like

Oh, I don’t know… spend $1k on the Mother Board. Spend $1k on the case. Spend $3k on a custom loop that glows in the dark. I mean, you can spend $5k if you try… But you can get the same performance and look cheaper.