Irreversible damage

Is it the letter I quoted?

Yes, by all means either review his letters or read Tolkien in Pawneeland.

The letter I quoted does not say that orcs were based on Mongols.

It literally is correcting the producer that the orcs are to look Mongolian.

That does not prove they were based on Mongols. That is the part where you’re making assumptions.

They may have been. Or he may have thought of that physical comparison later. We don’t know, from the letter. It doesn’t prove what you say it proves.

I actually forgot about this thread.

The idea was less that Blizzard does a real “A Realm Reborn” with everything being gone and more a soft-in-universe-reboot of the lore, setting and storyline. We will never get a WoW 2.0, but you can still allow the Jailer to snap everything out of existence and end the entire universe in the storyline.

When we heroes, who survive this destruction somehow, arrive in a new dimension everything from before has no longer any relevancy because either it never happened like this in the new reality or events changed significantly. And no NPC or anyone for that matter remembers it in the first place. Only us. And we could still access this old reality via machine/NPC maybe giving us a debuff called, “Memories from Before” in order to farm mounts and stuff. So everything is gone and will never again be relevant.

From this point onwards you can reconstruct the entire Warcraft-universe from scratch. And you don’t even need to put everything in at once. Let us start in the Kingdom of Stormwind and in Orgrimmar and its surrounding areas. Upscaled to modern day standards obviously with the cities of Stormwind and Orgrimmar maybe being the size of Boralus or even Suramar and content patches slowly and steadily add more of Azeroth.

With 10.1 being something like Stranglethorn Vale, 10.2 with Ashenvale and its areas, 10.3 maybe Ironforge and Thunderbluff. Next expansion 11.0? Time to go to Lordaeron and Quel’Thalas etc.

Let new players also start in this new world directly. Make a new intro, let them arrive in Stormwind/Orgrimmar, do some questing within the city, learn a bit about the different races and groups of the factions (because obviously Stormwind and Orgrimmar should have districts and places for all its groups so that we learn about these “new” people until their homelands are added via expansion/patch).

Throw in stuff like world quests in Elwynn with reputation grinds like the “Elwynn Garrison Forces” who are made up of pretty much all races (because screw this whole one nation and one culture for one race thing) and some nobles. Meanwhile Durotar has something similar happening.

A completely fresh start with everything set zo zero…including our powerlevel.

Basing something off of reality does not mean you are making a social commentary. Do you consume any piece of media without every artist or writer trying to send a political or cultural message?

By the way the mongols were some of the most brutal human examples of expansionism and cruelty in history. We are talking about people that build skull pyramids with a city’s inhabitants as a warning to others.

2 Likes

I think you’re overestimating how thorough FFXIV’s calamity was. It was bad but it was basically just Bahamut falling out of the moon and blowing a bunch of stuff up. It was basically just Cataclysm but it only affected one continent.

2 Likes

Louisoix sent the player to the future, though, and mind wiped them kind of.

1 Like

For Warcraft though we need a complete restart, but we cannot get a WoW 2.0. So the only way is pretty much destroying it in-universe and then reconstruct in a new reality. New content will not be a problem in this case, and the zones can be changed enough that you can still say, “Yeah…this reminds me of Elwynn Forest” but still feel completely fresh because everything is significantly upscaled, more detailed and larger. Goldshire turns from a three house village to a small city.

We cannot have anything of the old lore around essentially. It’s corrupted, damaged. We need to wipe the stage completely clean unlike FFXIV.

“Vengeance or Renewal” in terms of victims is an exceedingly dubious take within the current story when one considers the IRL victimization of real Human beings in the company. The timing and framing of this couldn’t be worse.

6 Likes

I think that the simple, fundamental fact of “no matter how much vengeance or justice you get, you can never straight up undo horrible things that have happened and at some point you need to accept them and look to the future” is worth exploring. I just wish it was less clumsy.

1 Like

So basically kill the franchise.

1 Like

At this point? Let it burn.

1 Like

Like the dude says, “Well, that’s just like your opinion, man…”

New message

Oh christ here we go…
Out of all the dumb things they could have done this takes the cake.

They’re talking about removing all the Afrasiabi references.

Define Afrasiabi references.

His NPC in Stormwind and the Stratholme references.