Ion's Covenant Response In an Interview Just Now

As someone who loves PvP this hits home for me, the chores required in BFA are too much.

3 Likes

Blizzard has great tuning knobs for talents and they still can’t balance them, or even classes and specs.

3 Likes

Basically in an essence,

They are literally going to turn 12 classes into 48 classes, 36 specs to 144 specs for SL. and claim that they can balance it within 3ish %.

12 Likes

This isn’t going to backfire on them whatsoever.

It’s not like classes are imbalanced to the point where there’s more Fire Mage parses on N’zoth than 16 of the 24 specs combined.

:^)

8 Likes

Sure, we’re stuck with classes, but that doesn’t mean imbalance is good. Blizzard is constantly twiddling with class balance because they never get it right, and it’s a big sore point for the players.

Covenants, unlike classes, are not a core feature of the game, so why introduce them in a way that will multiply the balance issues?

The right way to go here is to make covenants mechanically identical. That way they don’t introduce balancing problems, and the people who like to make “meaningful choices” instead of optimizing their characters can get a meaningful aesthetic choice.

2 Likes

It is the same for players who do PvE. In MoP, I would get on here and if I felt like it go skinning for an hour, or do dailies if I felt like it or do archaelogy or work on achievements. Now I get on here and all I do is grind echoes - it isn’t fun at all so I do what I have to and then go play another game. Absolutely no enjoyment anymore.

5 Likes

And that seals the deal for me, no Shadowlands unless this is reverted.

6 Likes

Well then based on the interview I don’t think you’ll be playing SL. This seems to be a hill Blizzard is willing to die on, in 9.0 at least.

2 Likes

I still don’t see how covenants are any different then az traits and endless grinding, just they are making it hard to pick one and if you pick the wrong one you get screwed.

Instead of investing actual energy in fixing broken talents we already have and fixing broken specs, they are just adding more talent trees in other places and making you grind for them.

3 Likes

That’s what people don’t like.

1 Like

“Stuck with classes”.

Sometimes this community man…

Honestly, my opinion is that if you don’t accept certain core tenants that define what World of Warcraft is that we as a community have agreed upon, you don’t really have ground to stand on when arguing whether something is or isn’t good for the community.

If you view classes as a negative game feature, you don’t get to argue about game features. Your opinion is largely invalid in the eyes of the community. World of Warcraft is a class-based game. If you don’t like it, there are other games. Class-based gameplay is an “inherent good” based on our community consensus.

funny how we went from “if we can’t balance it we can make them swappable” to “you won’t know if they are balanced or not so just roll with it!” really happy i haven’t preordered this expansion also considering how they are treating hunters right now.

3 Likes

like they can’t balance 36 specs, but put in a system that creates 4 sub classes per spec, like cmon how can this not be a trainwreck.

8 Likes

Back in vanilla/Burning Crusade, whenever Blizzard went and monkeyed with the talents, they reset everyone’s talents for free (since respecs cost a lot of gold, back then).

They should do the same thing with covenants. Every time they change the SLIGHTEST thing, they should let everyone swap covenants instantly and free.

As long as they do this, then the constant nerf train won’t matter. Because there WILL be a constant nerf train. (See: Corruption)

8 Likes

That would be a really good idea. If they nerf Venthyr allow people a free switch to another one.

2 Likes

In patch 9.3 yeah I definitely see that happening. However, by then it will have been to late, and we will have had two BFAs in a row.

1 Like

If you view imbalance as a positive you don’t get to argue about game design.

You’re being logical… which means we won’t see anything of the sort until 9.2 at the soonest.

2 Likes

Sure.

Except covenants are a brand new system that didn’t need to be added if they can’t be a balanced and are a temporary system.

5 Likes

Can’t they just make it so you can eventually get max rank with all covenants simultaneously, so you can swap whenever you please and not lose combat effectiveness?

Make it take 5-6x the effort of maxing out a single covenant or something.

2 Likes