Ion interview with Preach - Shadowlands Covenant VS Legion legos/artifact weapon

You benched a player on a raid cleared in less than 24 hours???

The problem is you literally need to meet marks in mythic content to kill the fight. When players can’t meet those through no fault of their own it’s awful but still requires a change. Most players get that even if they hate it blizzard is the one causing those issues. It’s not like you stop being friends with players it’s that you literally can’t kill the boss because they do 20% less damage without x legiondary or upcoming y covenant.

I’m convinced it happened, but how common was it? It’s not hard to believe that the top guilds (like the ones Preach plays in) do it, but those are a minority of mythic raiders, which are themselves a minority of raiders. And raiders are a minority of the playerbase. (Unless you include LFR.)

Should Blizzard make game design decisions that affect the entire playerbase based on an extreme minority that number crunches everything?

I have a lot of respect for Preach I think he’s one of the WoW content creators that brings the most to the community, but I can also understand Blizzard to hold its end of the stick. If they’re in the mood of making their game more of an RPG and they think the players will enjoy it, I don’t think they should change their mind because of a sub-1% of the playerbase that doesn’t play like most others.

Ideally though, they’d just disable those new systems in the current Mythic raids, high mythic keys and ranked PvP, and leave it on everywhere else. I think it would please both camps.

The number of guilds who are stopped by gear/classes and not player skill is vanishingly small.

Limit killed Nzoth with rank 8 cloaks lol.

The correct solution to that problem, to me, is screaming harder for Blizzard to get their heads out of their butts on balancing, not working harder to enable cookie cutter builds. The common argument to that stance is “lmao Blizzard balance”, but at that point why play the game? If they can’t make content that’s balanced enough to be fun, what are you paying them for?

I’m cutting edge and I raid 2 days a week you don’t have to be hardcore to get ce.

As someone who as played at this level, I can tell you the difference between top 50 and top 200 or even 300 is not how hardcore you play the game. Plenty of guilds in this range playing the exact same amount of time with different results.

Frankly the only reason most at the high end still pay blizzard is they make great freaking raids. Also it’s largely gold not dollars. Their class balance is butts their combat is solidish for an mmo but their raid design is still top tier even if their dungeon design has slipped a bit.

I didn’t say you did. There’s a big gap between “regularly gets cutting edge” and “top 50-90 US” guild.

You are still hardcore. Sorry to reveal that to you.

Limit also had non nerfed EV and yes much higher player skill than 99% of the game. They also had an optimal immunity comp. Ask preheat about the difference between mage damage with having optimal legiondaries vs say Prydaz and Sephuz in nighthold since you brought up limit.

I specifically said through no fault of their own which assumes a player is playing at around or above 90% of their classes capacity leaving the damage difference to rng factors such as corruption legeiondaries and now covenants.

50 to 90 us is around 200 to 300 world the current 50th us guild raids 3 nights a week during prog and obviously less post prog. That really isn’t that hardcore they just use their time differently.

Right now I’m heavily limited by rl obligations and schedule hence I raid mornings which has a much more limited playerbase.

Some people don’t realize they’re really in the minors.

2 Likes

How do you think they cleared it in 24 hours mate? LOL

I think this all makes sense, but the community is big enough that one can get a lot of views/clicks for having a “how to beat x” guide up early enough.

So, in a way the game has to be partially designed around 3rd parties profiteering from either advance access or membership in a cutting edge group. There will never be much mystery in that ecosystem.

Frankly, I think the best thing is to make it so those truly hardcore people really do need to level and gear multiple characters. It makes the world first race a bit of a toss up because they won’t know which abilities will be most useful in later content. You’ll be able to clear all the content without using any of the covenant abilities, most likely.

If they’re so convinced they are at an elite world class level, they should have put as much time into it as elite world class musicians and athletes.

Given how much faster it is to level and has been for some time to gear (unless you start late), I don’t see the problem.

It will be bumpy for dps that live the pug life, but twas ever thus.

1 Like

I don’t even want the ability to hot swap this stuff

I just want to make these decisions seperately

why is a class ability tied to a covenant, which has it’s own signature ability?

and they say they’re looking for a middle ground on conduits, awesome, look for middle grounds in other areas too?

I’ve used mass effect as an example recently, it has tons of decisions that impact events throughout a playthrough. I always save the rachni queen, because I think it’s right, I think the rachni are cool and I don’t want to execute their species. everyone and their mom uses the renegade interrupt on kai leng. You get to make these decisions in the same playthrough because that game gives you real choice. It doesn’t matter if you’re going paragon or renegade, they’re available to you.

Covenants can be improved to let you make more decisions case by case, week by week, rather than shoehorning you into a covenant because you liked the gameplay choice more than you prefer the theme of another.

They’re already doing so well with something like legendary acquisition being more targeted, I want to see more improvement to the way we can make these decisions.

Stuffing everything into a couple clicks at level 60 is a lack of choice.

Many of us will get a worse deal than others, because all of these potential decisions are baked into one.

I think I’d be ok with that, but I can see why they’re tied because of the in game reason why we have them in the first place.

And, based on how some of the abilities look, it seems like they are crudely balanced with how useful the covenant ability is for each class - or at least that that was the plan.

If there was, say, only a 1-2% dps difference from simulations for each ability, I think certain persons will still get bent out of shape over it. I don’t think we know yet what that looks like - they may still be tuning that.

I don’t think 1-2% difference is that great; it’s on par with a racial.

Blizzard promised they would listen, they never said anything about acting on it.

Ion was a lawyer don’t forget, they are second only to politicians for proficiency in doublespeak.

Typical person with TDS.

Oh look, found the dumpster