Ion doesnt think people will be declined from pugs due to choices they make

Top tier? they’re world like 817, they’re not going to be the ones creating 4 of each class

Huh I thought they were higher. It’d still be funny though.

Nah, they almost never kill before the final set of nerfs

I really don’t think it will be an issue. There are a lot of people who just want to bash keys without taking 30 minutes to form. Some people will discriminate as they do so today. But those individuals will always find an issue.

Was in a group a while back where the leader was mocking a hunter for his talents and essences. Realized that was a guy I didn’t want to do a key with (the leader) and left. I’ve managed to get by just fine without conforming to meta groups. Now if you want to push really high Keys and more so past +15… Well, that is a choice you make.

There is an interesting dichotomy of designer and player… designer puts roadblocks/challenges for the player to overcome, player tries to overcome those challenges as efficiently as possible.

An MMO is about differentiation of self from the masses (at least it should be thats where the enjoyment comes from for me anyway, identity and ownership of character/account), the fact that some will have 4 of everything and be willing to “endlessly grind islands” (or the equivalent tedious gameplay) for an advantage I am more than ok with, as long as that advantage is low enough that it only affects the top end (they play by different rules where .1% variance is a big deal).

I feel covenants go far beyond that though, they seem more like a bludgeon to the playerbase to highlight how wrong their choice is by NOT having the covenant that gives you a buff in dungeon A or the PVP ability that gets you 2k rating, alllows you to skip the hard trash pack and complete M+15 etc.

You don’t get to celebrate what you have done with/in your covenant and enjoy the asthetic side because there is too much power tied to it, it only emphasises wrong choices made.

Personally I really like the appeal of the Maldraxxus being militarily/utilitarian aligned (but the artstyle of being necro/undead I really hate, would of preferred more of a primitive culture based “wild hunting lands” type of afterlife vibe but there isnt one.

The backdrop of the covenant choice is meaningless outside of levelup/weekly warcampaign equivalent, the bulk of my content will be M+, raid, WQ, pvp… and that comes down to ability/conduits choice… it has nothing to do with aesthetic because thats just how wow works.

If you rebuild the game from the ground up maybe covenant system makes sense, but you haven’t done that Ion, you have tacked on another system without considering its interactions (the system looks ok in isolation but on aggregate is not ok).

2 Likes

Heres an idea, stop making the game require ridiculous “optimal performance” to succeed at the highest levels, and this problem goes away.

Get rid of mythic everything, and keep the difficulty on heroic. Although yes make the current heroic harder like the early expansions. In fact even the idea of heroic is stupid, and does not belong in mmos.

Covenants is just exposing how we cannot have anything cool or unique in this game, because the game has been hijacked by statisticians. There are people who want this to be a mmorpg, and people who want this to be esports. and the esports people HAVE TO GO.

1 Like

He is probably right because when you invite someone in a pug the only info you get is their item level and class and role those 3 things. There isn’t an easy way to tell what covenant soulbinds legendaries ect they have picked.

Let me give you the description of Exorsus raid tools.

“Inspects all raid members and shows information about them: item level, talents, glyphs, items, spec, stats, achivements, number of boss kills. Checking items without gems, enchants; low level items.”

And as soon as 8.2 came out.

“* Raid Inspect: Added essences”

This along with raider io will be updated to show covenants.

1 Like

They make us pick too soon.

You mean convert Mythic back to heroic , heroic to normal and either up lfr to the current normal or get rid of the current normal and go back to the 3 levels we had prior to SoO

Wouldn’t it be interesting to split populations along these lines… have mythic tuned servers and normal ones.

:joy::rofl:

Aka mythic lol

Probably not, but wait until some corny addon comes out that lets people see just by hovering over your name. Elitists will have a heyday with that one.

There’s already RP servers

1 Like

Don’t they xrealm with non rp, also there is no tuning differences.

That one comment explains so much about their design choices over the years. It’s truely mind boggling how out of touch with reality they are.

Even if people get into groups, they will be kicked if their output is too low. If you think you can freely choose whatever covenant you want, you’re in for a rude awakening in SL.

3 Likes

The fact that ion used classes as his example of a choice that is perminant while trying to say that a perminant choice won’t be discriminated against us hilarious to me. Lf1M rogue anyone? Lol

1 Like

Yeah I figure I will wait until this crap gets sorted out before considering buying shadowlands. Save myself some money ty devs made it an easy decision.

3 Likes

That’s what I did. Don’t regret my decision at all

They cant possibly understand the pug community. Saying that, it seems they are trying for more class and toon identity. Lust and such for certain classes mattering again. Covenant choices that you pick. No more scrolls. I’m not a fan because of the community we have in this game.
Maybe, they will introduce different drums and scrolls that match the current iteration.