"Inventory is full!" - Inventory Space

Inventory space has been a hotly debated topic for several expansions, and it continues to this day. There have been many innovations (such as the collection tab) that have helped freeing up a lot of bag space over the years, but inventories remain cluttered for many players. Perhaps it’s time to make some new innovations?

Bag Slots
One suggestion that often pops up is simply adding more bag slots - which I think would go a long way! The largest bags are starting to grow large enough that adding a single bag slot would probably alleviate all of your inventory struggles for a good while. This could also be done for the banks, adding an eight, ninth or even tenth bag slot would massively increase your bank capacity.

The Base Bag
The four extra bag slots from having an authenticator is a good start, but the base bag is still quite small. Perhaps having the ability to upgrade it with gold or some other currencies would be a neat way to allow us to make it bigger?

Void Storage Still Exists
Hey, does anyone actually still use the void storage? Do people even remember it still exists? For the uninitiated, the void storage was added as a way for players to store transmogs in to transmog them without having to have the item in your bags while transmogging, before the transmog collection was added. It costs a bit of gold to put items into it and take them out of it, and you can only put soulbound non-unique items into it. It’s not particularly useful by modern standards, but perhaps it could be revamped or have some quality of life changes to it.

Reagent Bank
I love the reagent bank, but I also keep filling it up because I’m a hoarder that keeps deluding themself that “I will make use of it some day!” to justify not putting it on the auction house. As a result, my reagent banks on my different characters have distinct identities: one character for cooking, one for cloth, one for mining, et cetera. Perhaps making the reagents stack higher/or indefinitely while inside the reagent bank could make it a little easier to use, or making it account wide and add more slots to it to compensate would be feasible? Admittedly, I don’t know if others have these issues or if it’s just me, so I don’t know if it’s worth doing anything about it or not!

Account-wide Bank
Speaking of account-wide banks: a lot of players have a “bank alt” that has their own one-man guild that gives them access to their own private guild bank. A clever use of mechanics for sure, but it does speak to a need some players feel. Perhaps an account-wide bank in the style of guild banks could function much the same way? And when I say account-wide, I do mean realm-wide, perhaps even faction locked(?).

More Collections
Another way to make more bag space is simply to remove items from the bags in the first place, like the transmog collection did. I’m not entirely sure what other forms of collectibles you could add to this list, but here’s some random ideas. Profession tools, like fishing rods or mining picks. Books and letters. Cosmetic consumables, obviously not permanently unlocked, but rather with charges that you can refresh by acquiring new ones. I’m sure there’s other ideas as well.

Okay, so if inventory space is an issue, shouldn’t we just have infinite bag space?
… Probably not. Limited bag space serves a function in the game, and it also adds some flavour. I’m actually not sure about whether or not we should have all that much more bag space at all, and rather focus on removing other items from the bags in the first place - not just items that would fit into an existing section of your collection, or in a new section. A good example of items that clutter up the bags is anima sources, that will take up several slots in your inventory before you deposit them. Sure, this makes sense in terms of immersion and storytelling, but it does also feel a bit annoying to clutter your inventory up with this resource that can only be deposited in a conductor. Some players also stock up on a lot of consumables and end up filling their entire bags with these; perhaps there should be fewer consumables, or perhaps they should stack higher? I’m sure there’s tons of examples out there.

Anyway, I’ll wrap this post up by saying that this isn’t a particularly big problem for me personally, I’d still be happy if the only change we got is a new bag with 2 more slots next expansion, but I’d certainly appreciate something more. I’d love to hear others’ thoughts on the topic.

73 Likes

Excellent topic! Thank you for making it.

Bag space, especially for long term players, is a serious issue. Mine is constantly full on my main.

The reason? Expansion specific systems materials. Collect 6 keystones to make a key to unlock a chest. etc. Teleporter unlocks, korthia rift keys, etc.

I do understand they want some things to feel meaningful when you get them by picking them up. I get that, but the number of soulbound materials that are specific is rather overwhelming.

If it is soulbound, I should be able to convert that token to a currency. Lunar new year coins, Nat Pagle tokens, Korthia rift keys or teleporter repair stuff.

They have done some of this right - Anima for example you do get as a physical item but then you deposit it into a currency reservoir. I LIKE that. It resolves the tangible acquisition itch + the need to free up bag space. Some quest items are also now “currency” instead of taking up space. Great QoL improvement!

I really really wish they would do that for most other soulbound bag items in game. Let me give Nat coins. Let me visit a Korthia NPC to deposit my various items.

I would even love an option to deposit Archeology keystones for fragments without needing a solve open.

I may edit this instead of an off the cuff take, but I do appreciate you bring up bag space. Esp with all the materials that come with systems each phase of an expansion.

19 Likes

Yeah was really hoping for a blizzard reply in my thread since im literally at the max for my bags.

Most of the stuff is either PVP or stealth detection (cats eye googles, stealth detect potions) lot of it is wpvp stuff like netomatic and Wotlk human tracking food or engineering situation things but the amount of space could obviously be improved upon by making half of the stuff toys or at least making a bag to just keep consumables in . Alot of bag space has been lost to tokens and currencies/random PVE stuff that I either forget about totally or never really use but not having it in my bags would really hinder me situationally and the rest is just gear and legendaries I switch out on the regular. Ive cleaned it out recently but the amount of just junk we are bombarded with really causes me to mount and throw stuff out all the time or just mail it to alts and then forget and

14 Likes

I, Personally would love it if we were to get larger bags. My character(s) bags are currently mostly empty. However, If you go to look at my bags in my personal bank, The bags are almost full of items I’ve collected over the years.

Many of those items are items that are cosmetic when you use them, But haven’t been added to the Toy Box yet. Additionally, All of my bags are 32-slot bags or larger on my character(s) itself and in my bank vault.

Yup! I still utilize my Void Storage vault on my main. I mostly utilize it to store my various Legendaries I’ve gathered over the years on my main. I also still have a ton of space left over in it for other stuff. The 2nd tab is actually still empty at this time!

Yah. I can confirm you can only put non-unique items into the vault. I’ve tried to put some unique-equipped items into it, But it would not accept them. So I ended up putting them into my personal bank. Not a big deal, But I do wish this requirement was removed from the Void Storage.

7 Likes

Bag Space isn’t really a big issue imo. There is a lot of bag bloat but there’s also a lot of stuff that just doesn’t need to be in your bags.

To use the screenshot above, about half of that stuff doesn’t need to be in the bags:

• Shards of Domination from sets you are not using does not need to be in there
  • Trinkets you are not actively using for any gameplay activity do not need to be in there
  • Hundreds of Pet Battle items
  • Cooking equipment
  • Korthia gear
  • Nazjatar items?
  • Vicious Saddles
  • A battle scroll of fortitude?
  • Two stacks of Lesser Healing Potions?

A solid 50% of the bag screenshotted is player-created bloat. Expanding it only feeds into the hoarding tendencies of players.

Let’s also be honest. How much of the gear there is used for other specs. I find it very hard to believe you use two separate sets of Domination Gear.

Now that’s not to say that there isn’t developer created bloat. To use this same screenshot of a bag:

• Pet Battle Charms & Marks of Honor should be an account wide currency (if possible)
  • Sleeping Armaments should honestly just be a buff that’s collected rather than an item that you purposely activate. Personally speaking, I forget these exist when I loot them.
  • Vicious Saddles shouldn’t be bound to give PvP players a way to sell their efforts
  • Hearthstones should be toys (outside of the Original Hearthstone), likewise, specific hearthstones should take you to specific locations such as the Covenant Hearthstones taking you to the order halls.

To use examples from the wider game:

• Anima. So many items with differing values all taking up bag slots each.
  • Korthia Research Tokens. (See above)
  • Low stack counts on Sharpening Stones (20) compared to Oils (50)
  • Low stack counts on Potions (20) compared to other Potions (200)
  • Mechagon Engineering items
  • Gateway Control Shard (this was just added to the game, but it can 100% be a toy)

Just from my own perspective as a player towards developers. When adding items into the game to just have some consideration over how the player will interact with that item. If its minimal to none (Anima) then make it a generic item (e.g. This could have been a generic item called “Anima” which stacked to 50,000).

If it’s intended for the player to interact with the item somewhat more (Potions) then for it to have an impact on the player’s inventory management.

12 Likes

Its a portal scroll for Maldraxxus gotta show up if the arena event gets wpvpin. Pretty sure someone gave me those hp pots from raid and 9 sets of potions for Wpvp stealth detection.

All the battlepet stuff is my wifes I swear

6 Likes

I would guess you are kidding and this is meant to be a joke.

For anyone reading this, Blizzard does not allow account sharing with the exception of a parent and one minor child. You can find the policy here

A new expansion, a new bank cleanup coming up very soon. Every expansion comes with tons of items you’ll want to put in your banks to collect, and we’re constantly losing space for all the cool things to collect.

What really caught my attention with Dragonflight was profession gear, and it has me worried that I’m going to need even more space for that, if it’s something we’re meant to change up every now and then.

Curious to see how this develops when alpha comes out!

4 Likes

There are still many items that could still be turned into toys (like the party hat from the farm in Pandaria). Also: a Lore tab couldn’t hurt the game in general. In that all those books, letters etc you find and get could be “stored” or rather unlocked forever. I would like to see a power collection tab that only stores legendaries or stuff like the artifacts or heart of Azeroth. You could easily free 1-2 entire bags for long term collectors that way.

11 Likes

Oh, there definitely is. That screenshot is indeed a lot of hoarding, but I don’t think that’s bad either. People like to hoard.

Though, I am curious why some of the stuff he has is in his bank and not being carried. Then there’s things likt eh Brazier of Awakening, that doesn’t work at max level anymore, unless they fixed it. (I deleted them cause it didnt work anymore).

Why do you have like a dozen legendary item base pieces?

Shards of Domination should have been deleted long ago.

There’s a few pieces of armor you don’t need to keep as they’re in your transmog tab. Also, the Chef’s hat is a toy now, why is it in your inventory?

But as for dev created bloat, here’s an idea of my bank after getting rid of everything I could feasibly get rid of: (My inventory has 70-80 slots usually)

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/609212795522777089/967314076642467860/unknown.png

My Reagent Bank. As you can see, very bloated just from Mechagon and Zereth Mortis.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/609212795522777089/967314213527756830/unknown.png

My bank. (I have one empty bag, and the main space in the bank is mostly empty) The first 2 bags are simply 9.2 stuff, that I may or may not swap out or need sometime during the patch. 2 of my bags are filled with pet battle stuff (as well as Sandworn Relics I have no use for lol) Then I have things like fishing poles that are hard to get, the secret fish goggles, Korthia stuff (which I will delete once 10.0 comes out), Artifacts, the Argus trinket, etc.

There’s definitely dev created bloat.

My Void Storage has a ton of Legiondaries in it, but I don’t really use it for anything else.

I’d be in favor of adding more bank slots, maybe another tab for the reagent bank, and maybe another backpack slot.

But if it doesn’t happen, I’ll be okay with it as well.

1 Like

There are some usable items that don’t stack, like those (the Scrying Stone from Nazjatar for example), which is kinda annoying. I do wish that every item had a basic sell price to make them easier to get rid of, but I suppose this increases the risk of people getting rid of items they need by accident, oops!

Hopefully with Dragonflight significantly larger bags are added, which will help… until my bags are full of stuff again!

2 Likes

I’m personally hoping we get larger bags in Dragonflight. I actually had to clean out my character’s bank the other day because I completely ran out of room in it and all of my bags I use in my bank are 32-slot bags.

Most of the stuff I store in my bank is rare stuff you cannot get in the game anymore. I also store stuff there that I’ve collected from various expansions. Most of the stuff I happened to delete was items I couldn’t use on my character anymore as my level is too high to use them.

There is a lot of items still in my bank I feel should be converted to toys. So I held onto those in case Blizzard decides to make them toys in the future. But yah, I do feel we need to get larger bags once again. Maybe allow us to craft 34 or even 36 slot bags to use!

4 Likes

Another bag slot, at least for the bank, would go a long way too :>

5 Likes

Agree with these and I’ll add one more than will free up a couple of slots:

• Profession items (such as mining picks, fishing poles, enchanter’s rods, etc) should be equipped on your character rather than carried in your bags.
5 Likes

They did announce crafting gear with dedicated slots, so I would assume that maybe also goes for mining picks and such? My worry is that I’ll have to keep a collection of the ones that I don’t have currently equipped at the moment.

4 Likes

One thing that bothers me are the “flavor” items they add in patches. Things like:

Why are these existent? Why are they not just toys? I get the idea of flavor items, but when they exist just to take up space, it becomes annoying.

Even just adding toys to a vendor and have the chests the items currently come from have a chance to drop a special currency/item to buy them would have been better.

It was made worse by the fact they made the last one necessary for a pet in Zereth Mortis, but most people threw them away after Korthia because they served no purpose. So we had to go farm them again.

10 Likes

also why make them 3 day CDs for a 3 mins effect

3 Likes

I’d like to add that toys should get some sort of categories as well. It’s really hard to find specific toys in that giant list, even if you know what it does but can’t remember the name. In case of Hearthstones I think this should be taken a step further and get its own dedicated tab.

Hearthstone toys are pretty much a cosmetic thing over your own hearthstone, with the exception of the Dalaran and Garrison heartstones. However, it’s really hard to find out which hearthstones I have. The “default” hearthstone isn’t listed under the toys, it’s an item that may be in my bag or bank, or I might have deleted it because I use toys. When searching for “hearthstone” under toys, I get results I don’t want, and I also miss results. Here’s an example when I search for my hearthstones:

These are missing:

Maybe it’s not a viable change, but I’d love to see a dedicated hearthstone tab that shows me to which locations I can hearthstone to (Inn, Dalaran, Garrison, Flightmaster Whistle), select a cosmetic for my hearthstone that applies to all or several of them, with details information about cooldowns, where and when I bound to the location I’m bound to, etc. This tab should then also include things like Mage Portals, Death Gate, Astral Recall, Zen Pilgrimage, Moonglade teleport, “make camp” etc.

This change would:

• Save people 3 or 4 slots in their bags
  • Fix the hearthstone toy discoverability and animation customization
  • Unify everything into a travel interface
13 Likes