Invalid Target Bug

Game will be running fine, suddenly i join an instance such as an Island Expedition or an Arena and all my abilities give me an invalid target error.

On my Hunter the pet can still attack but i can’t use any of my abilities.
/Reload doesnt fix it.

Logging out and in does however that is not a reliable solution.

2 Likes

Same thing just happened to my mage for the 2nd time in two weeks in Atal’dazar instance. Could only use about 4 spells, rest came up with invalid target error.

I’ve had that bug on most of my toons, ever since BFA launched. I find that it usually happens when my palm is applying pressure on the space bar. My new keyboard is dope, but the keys are a little tall, making me jump for no reason, once in a while.

1 Like

I have encountered this error as well. It generally comes up when I have Alt-Tabbed out of the game. Usually I am able to fix this by alt- tabbing out and back into the game.

25 Likes

My demon hunter currently has this problem. I’ve disabled auto target, and unassigned the key. I’ve disabled all my add ons. I’ve done a full ui reset, and run the repair tool. Nothing has worked. My alts dont have the problem, only my demon hunter. This is really frustrating.

2 Likes

I am having this same issue in Classic. Nothing short of closing the game and re-opening can fix it.

1 Like

This issue has come up strong last 2 weeks, happening once a day for me - usually right when we start a M+ and i have to urgently kill WoW and re-launch.

Just happened twice to me today - 2 different toons (if that matters)

This just happened today 8/19/2020 during a Timed Motherload. /reload ui did not fix the problem. The only way to fix it was to kill the client in Task Manager and start the game again. I noticed the game was registering my key presses on the UI by highlighting the button press but the error my client received was “Invalid Target”. This behavior started over every couple of minutes requiring a client restart. When restarting the client, all keys worked until it started again.

2 Likes

This has happened to me 3 times in the last 3 days. /bump

this bug has also been happening to me about 50/50 when joining an arena game so its really gimped day 1 rating push lol
i believe its targeting myself as aoe/aura spells work but nothing that requires a target, alt tabbing has solved this once but i may be related to stick keys, id suggest unbinding any sort of alt-x keybinds and spamming alt tab during the start of an arena. Its far from a fix but its worked thus far

1 Like

/bump still an issue

Press ALT. Seriously. Had this bug twice so far and simply pressing alt seemed to fix it.

this works, stupidly it does but this is how i fixed mine. i just had it

15 Likes

In line with this, try checking your Self Cast settings in your Interface Settings > Combat. It’s possible that it’s getting locked to on. Looks like it defaults to Alt which may be why pressing Alt can fix it

2 Likes

man, looks like this was the issue, thank you so much for sharing this!

Alt + Z (Hiding your UI and showing it again) fixes it btw, discovered this as i panicked in arenas lmao.

4 Likes

Just happened to be in NA lfr so this is still a thing Blizz.

Still a thing…

2 Likes

Random Invalid Target Messages while in combat - Blizzard Support (battle.net) Blizzard knows about this, they simply do not care.

I had this problem quite a lot at the end of Shadowlands, but just on one unfortunate character (my balance druid). Now I’m suddenly seeing it more frequently on several characters, including my havoc DH. All my characters have the same addons, and some of them haven’t seen the problem at all, so I don’t think that’s the issue.

It would be great if this error at least was trackable in some way by the player, so we could get some concrete data on when it happens (like a debug log) and on what character. As it is, I sometimes only notice that a few attacks haven’t landed, and it makes me wonder how many others I’ve missed.