Introducing the World of Warcraft Community Council

The opinion is often expressed in the forum that “toxicity” should be eliminated. When asked to describe what that means specifically, a lot of what we hear is “people who disagree with my opinions are toxic.”

1 Like

I can actually give you a real-time experiment for that one.
Go onto any of the tweets they’ve made about the recent censorship to the game, if there are even still any not limited to mutuals, and disagree with them. No insult, no toxicity, nothing but disagreement.

I will genuinely be surprised if you don’t get blocked.

And yet, who will decide which is which? If, once this goes active, there’s some way that guarantees opposing opinions aren’t purged, then I’ll gladly praise them for it.

Problem is, through their actions I do not trust any of the people at Blizzard who would run this.

Also, for both, I’m linking Magdalena’s thread again.

The devs aren’t as friendly as you may think.

7 Likes

In all of those posts about the MT returning, how many of them wanted it for the experience of taking the challenges, and how many of them wanted it for the Artefact appearances that they missed out on?

Because bringing it back without the appearances is what they did. And most people want it for the appearances.

A ‘different coloured version of T20’ is not what they wanted.

1 Like

What happened to Tseric?

I quite literally posted in this thread as my first post that it was a terrible idea because it’s just the same as the private feedback forum they had for content creators. Lol.

1 Like

IMO this confirms that blues don’t read the forums.

So after sacking 800 employees, of which a vast number were community-facing roles, they want to cheap out and get players to play those roles for free.

Here is one thread that Ion requested feedback and promised resolution more than 3 years ago, still without any resolution;

without any action.

Why should we believe that anything will change with a smaller fraction of people that post on the forums, who must link at least 3 types of online presence just to be considered.

This will just create smaller forums that will be read-only for players, with post functionality only available to a smaller more elite group of players.

1 Like

Your overlords ruined the game. You better come up with WoW 2 before you completely die.

1 Like

It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to… every so often glance at these forums… to get a general feel for the players and to get some new ideas to improve the game.

3 Likes

But do they do some hing thats the subject

How is this different than the forum MVPs? The green text guys? Wasn’t that the point of them?

Maybe they should enhance their forums? There are plenty of posts that get over 300+ likes … usually because an overwheling number of folks agree. Can devs not get quick access to those (either via filtering or sorting)?

1 Like

That isn’t a “must” have. My concern was they might focus more on people that have those things than not, and the percentage of people who have done any of those things compared to the entire playerbase is very small.

1 Like

They do that. That’s how they know when the players are upset or happy about certain things overall. Ion certainly knew there was a percentage of players that weren’t happy about the removed flirts and jokes, so they DO know what’s going on here.

A private forum will give them a better way to interact with a slice of the playerbase to cover a broad range of things without all the “Blizzard sucks” posts you see here all the time.

They want actual feedback, not " you’re not doing your job" and walk away.

2 Likes

I mean, this can be fixed with moderation.
There are so many threads here that’d have been shut down elsewhere for spam, and plenty of users banned for trolling/harassment for going into threads and just crapping on things that make people happy.

As much as I see the benefit of a council, I also see more benefit in cleaning up their own social media so feedback is more accessible.

3 Likes

I had wondered the same. I figured you worked your way up the ladder. MVPs seem to steer away from GD because we’re not very constructive here.

I imagine they will have priority being picked into this community.

You didn’t provide any examples though

Maybe.

Still though I am on the forums enough to know we hit the nail on the head quite a bit on Blizzard’s design issues.

I think they think they “know best” because they are game designers.

Yeah, but I’m a game player. 15 year vet no less, on this one game alone, that’s to say nothing for all the mmo’s I’ve tried that have come and gone, and the other genre’s. Can the devs say the same?

The community sized up conduit energy pretty much day 1. We had a massive post in the beta forums about the GV and how it worked well and didn’t. Plenty of youtubers did deep coverage of the PvP gearing system and the absurd costs to upgrade. Even the PvP vendor was a battle that went on for years, for some reason and I think we got some snarky remark about how we wouldn’t be able to find them.

I mean, I really hope this “council” amounts to something. However, given they could straight up get deep dives in video format from youtubers that have since left … I remain very skeptical.

Worth a shot I guess.

1 Like

Well, I posted my short stories lol. 99% of my content is actually in responses. I don’t think my one YouTube music video is going to count.

Maybe that’s it. These content creators that have left created a vacuum. They need to pull from us. But truly, I’d say we are players not creators.

I hung my creator hat up long ago. I’d love to go back into that world, but I don’t have limitless time anymore.

My friends were pushing me into making youtubes of DIY map design, but I don’t have a fancy personality to go with it.

I play what I like… and I have evolved as Wow and Diablo evolved.

I think if you limit it to just forum viewers you will find you are missing out on a broader community. There are people who never come to the forums, but might show up in Reddit, Twitter etc. or they don’t frequent any of those places and just play the game.

I am not sure how I feel about the last question as I can easily see where it can be portrayed as looking at accomplishments, but I can think of a lot of contributions that the Warcraft community does daily, from answering questions to putting together fun events on their server or putting together AOTC runs which was how groups like Perky Pugs got started there are people who do that every day. The difference in responses on these forums to someone asking a question is night and day to many of the more controversial discussions. In this case, I’d encourage anyone that is interested to apply and share some good things, maybe you just helped someone get a mount or kill a boss and put a smile on their face. In the end, it’s worth a shot and maybe it will be more than it is.

I get why people are cautious. There has been a lot of things that just haven’t happened. Whether it is a bug that is still around that you know you reported in a beta to the most recent real life news cycle. There’s a lot of reasons to have doubt.

For me, in a little over 30 days, my sub will lapse for the first time in 13 years and all of these overtures are too late for me. That’s my choice and one that I did not make lightly as I have 13 years of fun and great memories. For those of you who are staying, I’d encourage you to give it a chance. There have been a lot of promising ideas and directions that have shown a desire to improve. It’s not too late for you all…meet them 1/2 way see what happens. You are still here for a reason :slight_smile:

To Blizzard specifically, in my opinion some of the more recent changes, discussions and ideas were a long time coming, but they are great ideas and I hope to see them develop for all.

1 Like