Intel's Alder Lake DRM's causes a list of games to be unplayable

after hinting at the potential issue in a developer FAQ last month, Intel is now confirming that some games contain DRM that Intel says “may incorrectly recognize 12th Generation Intel Core Processors efficient-cores (E-cores) as another system.” That issue can lead to games that “may crash during launch or gameplay or unexpectedly shut down,” Intel says.

TLDR: two different kinds of cores these new Intel chips use is confusing Windows 10 and 11 games by thinking they are two different “PC’s”

A fix is coming but it will not fix all games entirely

weird how this bug doesn’t get mentioned here right away after a certain someone who was eagerly showing AMD’s previously bugs, that are now already fixed

I wonder why they didn’t mention this :thinking:

Interesting work-around I read about yesterday was that some vendors let you use Scroll Lock as a means to enable or disable the E cores. I don’t know if it corresponds directly to your Scroll Lock state (eg SL on means cores on) but it’s definitely an clever use for a key that really hasn’t had a use since Windows 95.

That said… DRM needs to die in a ditch. Only hurts the consumer, doesn’t “save” the company.

1 Like

I’m more wondering where Griefs is :rofl:

When it was an AMD issue he pretty much made a post the moment the issue popped up. I find it funny how he’s so quick to make post on a AMD issues but wouldn’t an Intel issue he remains silent

I have said this many times but I am not a fangirl of either side I’m really not I just simply by who’s ever making the better processor at the moment. When I bought my 5900X it was a AMD; however he is by every definition an intel fanboy

3 Likes

It’s easy bait.

I would bet the irony of you calling me a fanboy in the literal definition of a fanboy thread is completely lost on you. You seem to have some major issues with context and reading comprehension. I posted about AMD issues on W11 within the threads on the topic. People were sharing performance changes, and it was entirely relevant to the discussion for me to share the news reports and press release directly from AMD on their performance issues. I created a new thread yesterday on the issues still existing AFTER this thread was made as a response to You’s persistent fanboyism.

I know you’re new around here, but You has been known for years as an AMD fanboy on these boards, long before I got here. For example, do you know how quickly he created multiple threads on Spectre/Meltdown when it was an Intel issue? How many threads do you think he made when AMD Ryzen CPUs were later revealed to be vulnerable? The dude literally owns stock in AMD. I started posting here around the release of first gen Ryzen, and he was consistenly and solely recommending people buy them over Intel CPUs for WoW builds. The list goes on.

I make some posts and threads to troll the fanboys on these forums, but my real position is that I’m going to pick the best performing, most stable, reasonably-priced products for my needs. That’s why I own a desktop with an Intel CPU and a laptop with an AMD CPU. That’s why I’ve built systems for friends that feature both Intel and AMD parts.

Feel free to continue talking about me in threads that I’m not even posting in, as if you know what my response will be. Hopefully you’re a little more educated on the forum dynamics now.

3 Likes

Then you keep doing that. To be a fan of either side and root for it like its a sports team is pure stupidity. I go with who is making the better product at the time. At the time of my build it was AMD with the 5900x. If I was doing doing my build today I would go with the intel 12700k because they have the best product atm. A year of two from now? Whos to say it may be AMD it may be intel.

I will once again buy from whoever is making the better cpu. Which is what anyone should do. I have no allegiance to any company at all. To do so is just silly imo

1 Like

Anyone else on the 12th gen atm? I am on the 12900kf, WoW is good, D2R…doesn’t like it under Windows 10

1 Like

Games could just adjust their DRM, maybe?

2 Likes

I love all the hate I get. Intel, AMD, Nvidia, ARM, Mac, Linux and VMWARE. I get hate from all the fanbois for using everything. Soon as I get an Intel GPU I’m sure the Nvidia and AMD guys will gang up… then I explain I don’t use them for gaming and they get confused.

1 Like

As usual, the legitimate players are the ones affected by DRM

the difference is you actually give correct info no matter whats your preference of brand you want

Unlike a certain someone, who was screeching weeks old data and still trying to prove its bugged today

he literally posted another thread about AMDs bugs that have already been fixed but was trying to run it as current data today.

2 Likes

Griefs is like a dog chasing its own tail. He has no idea what he’s doing.
AIDA64 was incorrectly reporting L3 speed numbers on Windows 11 so they released a new version of AIDA64:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/r6txzo/aida64_6505817_beta_fixes_the_l3_cache_bandwidth/