Inactive/unused character names

Blizzard has stated that they won’t release inactive character names but I think it’s time they should. Classic has been out for almost 1 year and there are so many good names that have been locked up on lvl.1 characters probably taken by tourists back in 2019 when you could reserve 3 names. I think on the one year anniversary (August 27) Blizzard should release these inactive names for all accounts that don’t have a subscription.

Thoughts?

6 Likes

Has blizzard ever done this in the history of WoW?

3 Likes

Yeah, a lot, maybe all, of my characters on this account that I haven’t touched on the retail side of since Cata have numbers behind their names now. Im assuming if i bothered to log onto one it would prompt me for a name change

They used to give people un-used names if you put in a ticket a few years ago. They current free up names on accounts that havent logged in for the past 2 expansions. That’s a pretty excessive length of time in my opinion, especially in Classic.

If someone logged on last year and made a level 1 character with the name Steve and then never so much as logged back on to Classic again, that name should be available to anyone else who wants it, in my opinion.

1 Like

I got a lot of rare names back in wod before they made it 2 expansions to get unused names. I doubt that they would ever release names in classic. TBC probably because you will most likely copy character on a tbc realm.

And those LVL 1s with the cool names prolly won’t copy their character and you could snag em then.

Sadly they forever changed it. However this is classic WoW so things should remain the SAME as they did back then
Including gms clearing up names. Sadly there are no gms anymore everything is automated and actiblizz could give a crap about actually having to work and talk to their customers

Actually yes, in retail a few times because they were no kidding running out of names due to players making level 1’s to hold certain names.

Around 2012 or so I was doing exactly that on Darkspear Alliance, and then selling the names on the servers Forums for gold.

round about WoD blizzard started making level 1 alts that had not been active recently no longer capable of retaining a name if you did not put it to use, freeing it up for other characters.

They even did this with higher level characters in some cases for characters that were long long long defunct.

lol, like most of your threads.

continuing to show your ignorance of the game.

2 Likes

I think it has always been 99.99% automated. From 2005 until today.

The difference is we are playing “the copy”, not the real game. Most of the GMS are in the real game (retail WoW), not here.