In retrospect, was Deathwing's goal in Uldum

To use the Forge to transform Azeroth into the Black Empire like what N’Zoth tried to do in BFA? Before 8.3 it never made much sense to me why he’d want the Forge of Origination since it’d kill him and the Old Gods too, but it makes sense now with 8.3’s story.

I’m sure it wasn’t what was planned when Cata was written 10 years ago, but it fits nicely now.

1 Like

I dont think it would have killed the Old Gods. Especially not if it was simply used to scourge the life on the Surface of Azeroth. As for killing Deathwing himself, honestly he was too far insand to care points at End Times.

Killing the Old Gods was literally its entire purpose, it’s why the titans made it. And we know it works because it killed N’Zoth.

1 Like

It’s not like you can’t corrupt or program the machine to not kill old gods.

Back then I believe Nzoth wanted the forge used since it would destroy everything besides the Old God where the titan prison would protect him, and then he’d win by default when over the millennia of life restarting without guidance his prison wore down until he could break out.

Remember Cho’Gal offered to help him break out but Nzoth told him to go away, meaning his plan required him still being in the titan prison when the Forge went off.

Didn’t Deathwing’s folks attempt to destroy the disks that controlled the Forge? I thought he was trying to disable it.

We and Brann were the ones who disabled it. The dungeon journal says Deathwing was trying to get it:

Rumors abound that the complex also contains a devastating weapon capable of reordering all life on Azeroth. Deathwing has moved to obtain this terrifying device through his agent, Al’Akir the Windlord.

The thing Deathwing was trying to destroy in Uldum was the Coffer of Promise and the disks inside which according to Schnottz are the one thing that can stop Deathwing from activating the Forge of Origination.

Schnottz of course according to his own statement planned on ruling Azeroth as he saw fit after it was Re-Originated… In otherwords he was going to become the Black Emperor of the Black Empire.

His being resurrected and running a Hot Air Balloon during the Spring Balloon Festival presumably indicates that he is still a candidate for the position of Black Emperor should N’Zoth’s Faceless Herald Ki’merax(who was impersonating Wrathion) die at the Raiders’ hands.

Now that N’Zoth and Ki’merax are dead the resurrected Commander Schnottz is pretty the only surviving loyal servant of N’Zoth who wants leadership of the Black Empire and thus the title of “The Black Emperor”.

2 Likes

What? What’s the source on N’Zoth telling Cho’gall to go away?

I believe it was chronicle where after helping weaken the prison of the other two he/they offered the same assistance to Nzoth, which he didn’t take.

More less Cho’Gal was made responsible for Yogsaron and Cthun being able to partially break out of their prisons.

While Chronicle doesn’t have Cho’gall helping N’Zoth there is nothing to suggest that N’Zoth told the ogre to go away. If anything the fact his prison was in the sea simply prevented Cho’gall from being effect it like he was able to do with the other prisons, on the account that he would well drown and stuff.

2 Likes

Since the time of the War of the Ancients, Deathwing’s goals were no longer his own.

Honestly, I was pretty lost to all the subplot going on during the Cataclysm so much of this story escaped me. Honestly, I didn’t even know Deathwing was involved in Uldum. I just thought it was the Tolvir’s private little war that the Cataclysm just brought to out attention.

Deathwing’s part in it was during the Harrison Jones Questline with Deathwing not physically present yet Commander Schnottz telling us that the destruction of the Coffer of Promise would remove the one thing preventing Deathwing from using the Forge of Origination and that once Deathwing had his fill with vengeance Schnottz himself would rule Azeroth as he sees fit.

Schnottz being revived after Brann reduced him to a Skeleton in the Questline using the Coffer of Promise indicates that Schnottz being the intended Black Emperor of the Black Empire was indeed N’Zoth’s plan.

I also don’t remember that either.

Yeah, I vaguely remember it now.
Remember being confused how Bran was in the Coffer then too.

There were two questlines in Uldum. Al’Akir and the Neferst fighting the Ramkahen was one, and Harrison Jones and Brann fighting Deathwing’s servants disguised as N*zi-references (can’t post that word here apparently) searching for the Forge was another.

I always liked Uldum as a concept but the tol’vir storyline being considerably shorter and the Forge storyline just being one big Indiana Jones reference really hurts it. I wish it had been done better. But at least it’s back to being relevant in 8.3, so I’m glad for that.