Improved Weapon Totems has no effect on Windfury Totem for party members

I am writing to you today to report the non-functionality of the Shaman Enhancement talent “Improved Weapon Totems”.

This talent reads

Increases the melee attack power bonus of your Windfury Totem by 30% and increases the damage caused by your Flametongue Totem by 12%.

I do not have any data regarding the Flametongue Effect, but can provide information on how this is working with Rank 3 Windfury Totem.
Please see the images linked at the bottom for my sources of the information.

First the Paper Doll or Character Screen.

• When the Windfury Totem Effect Triggers on the shaman who cast the totem, they get the 1.3x modifier for a total of 409 additional AP.
  • When the Windfury Totem Effect Triggers on a party member, they gain 315 addtional AP if Improved Totems is not Talented.
  • When the Windfury Totem Effect Triggers on a party member, they gain 315 addtional AP also, when Improved Totems is Talented.
  • Improved Windfury through Elemental Weapons Effect does show on the Paper Doll correctly at 466 ap for the shaman.

Next the actual combat data:

• I did not test what the effect of Improved Totem Effect is on the Shaman.
  • For a party member there is no discernible difference in damage done between an Improved Windfury Effect and non-Improved, even in the best case scenario.

Testing scenario: Level 47 orc rogue using an Arclight Spanner and no gear equipped. Target level 1 and 2 boars in the valley of trials. Rank 3 Windfury.

33 procs of each was enough to convince me.

WF Totem	IWP Totem
 Min	100		99
 Avg    101		101
 Max	102		102

hxxps://imgur.com/neLjXl3

hxxps://imgur.com/59QhcAu

Thank you for your time and commitment to a fun and fair experience in Classic World of Warcraft.

9 Likes

Attack power ( AP ) increases your base DPS by 1 for every 14 attack power. To convert DPS into average damage per swing: (Weapon DPS + AP/14) * Weapon Speed.

arclight spanner
5 - 8 Damage
Speed 2.40
(2.71 dps)

base ap 235+315ap (not improved)
average: 100 damage
base ap 235+409ap (improved)
average: 116 damage
you’re definitely not getting the bonus ap from the talent on your rogue.

editing coz i can’t post atm, @Urlacher its the same calculation the one above is just the average, your one is the low/high which gets 99-102 dmg from the arc spanner. so technically they’re both right :smiley:

picture for a little bit of maths
https://imgur.com/a/5RxmLoo

yeah we’re complaining about 11.4-23.5 extra damage for each wf proc for 4 party members so we’re missing out on 94 extra damage on each wf proc for our group. thats if they were completely naked with a weapon as well so just looking at the ap difference from the talent itself.

4 Likes

(Weapon DPS + AP/14) * Weapon Speed.

this is wrong. the correct formula is:

damage = base_weapon_damage + (weapon_speed * Attack Power / 14)

4 Likes

Also just got done testing this with my guild. We have come to the same conclusions that the totem talent is not applying any bonus AP to party members’ WF procs.

2 Likes

I created a bug report in the game, at the same time as the original post, but have not heard back yet.

3 Likes

So fixing this is totally fine because the tooltip is misleading, but fixing weapon procs because the tooltip is misleading is TOTALLY out of the question…

#nochangesunlessithurtsmywarriorandthenchangeallday

1 Like