Improved Graphical Fidelity in WoW

To avoid confusion: You do not need an AMD card to use this. In fact, I think it might be enabled by default now. Many AMD features are compatible with other systems (Nvidia, Intel), and this works fine on my Nvidia GPU.

My experience, flying still the argent tournament grounds with “overall” graphical settings at 10:

Using ASSAO: 107 FPS
Using FidelityFX CACAO: 128 FPS

There wasn’t an obvious difference while in the sky, I don’t know if there is a difference while looking at objects from up close, I’ve only done a quick test. This was tested on a GTX 1080.

9 Likes

So, no more raytracing? A prelude to tomorrow big navi benchmark? (I would have Kappa here if I could XD)

That’s because the visual differences beyond 100 FPS are barely noticeable.

I meant in term of visual quality for the AO, not the higher FPS. They mention the AO quality could look slightly worse with CACAO, but there wasn’t a significant change when looking at everything from far away. People could take picture from objects up close to make a more detailed comparison.

Mine is the best buy XFX card lol

Is there any way to benchmark the performance improvements?

Yeah I noticed a change, feels and looks better even on my run of the mill laptop. It’s nice definitely, I was wondering what happened and now I see what it was, thanks for the deep dive!

AMDs are like Nissans. Cheaper and good numbers but janky as ever.

Same but I had one issue. My main monitor would turn off and back on (once) randomly per day.

Turned out that behind the monitors female display port, a cockroach was smushed during the manufacturing of the monitor, and every once in a while it would spark (I mean it was a dry cockroach with the display port housing going through its body) and short the monitors motherboard lol.

No relevance here but for a while I thought it was the graphics card. Only happened to that 1 monitor, and each port did it so I narrowed it down and found the roach. 5700xt is a beast tho haven’t found a game I get less than 120fps on absolute max settings

4 Likes

This will only work for AMD? please tell me no… I just bought a 3070 nvidia card… cmon

15 years and they are happy that they just got ambient occlusion in the game.

1 Like

Have you tried turning it on and off and testing it yourself? I just did with my 3090 and when it’s off my frames go down, when it’s on my frames go up. So yea I’d say it works.

after the wow patch today and amd driver 20.11.2 installed on a 580, when i exit wow with FidelityFX CACAO the color of everything in windows 10 is very yellow like the color profile is being changed i went back to assao for ambient occulsion and it doesnt do it on a wow exit, so something is broken with this new lighting mode

Are they not using them? They using bump maps?

nope, they are not, and specularity only very very minimal in certain armors. you will notice that nothing really shine lol, back then there were only 2 shields that had that.

1 Like

The game runs just fine with ambient occlusion on my RTX 2060.

1 Like

Whatever you guys have been doing I am constantly dc’ing trying to level a paladin for SL. Unless you guys want to give veteran players a free boost looks like I’ll be skipping this expansion peace

Speaking of, has Blizzard ever done anything for the players who have constantly played their game? No thank you to the veteran players is a bit of a slap in the face.

Are you talking about the Collection Plate?

:rofl:

Will the slaps ever end Blizzard!

Does this count?

https://www.ign.com/articles/2015/01/19/blizzard-gifts-wow-veterans-with-their-own-orc-statue