Important note about Whirlwind as an arms warrior

I have even looked at the Merciless Bonegrinder conduit and, especially because of the aoe cap, it still isn’t worth even pressing the button when you can Sweeping Strikes>Dreadnaught for no rage, hit more targets, and do more damage. You’re even just better off doing single target damage because you only need 1 hit to crit instead of, at max targets, 15(!) hits that need to crit, a laughable probability even with double Champion’s Brand buffed-crit stat.
Whirlwind is in the game for arms warriors and it is a button you shouldn’t even have on your bar because you can accidentally spend 30 rage and incur GCD. You should really fix this move for arms.

1 Like

It might be worth pressing with the conduit and the talent in a really niche situation like the nine fight.

But i dont really see it being press more then it was with all the changes. Still that aoe filler to avoid overcapping rage when you have nothing else to press. Unless fervor of battle become a pick in m+ over massacre.

They are removing the hard AOE cap in 9.1.5 and they are buffing the Merciless Bonegrinder conduit by 50%.

By hard aoe cap i mean the skill will still hit x amounts of targets for normal damage but beyond that it’ll hit additional enemies for less than normal damage.

ooo that’s interesting. I knew they have to have seen it, it’s a really bad move right now. I’m ilvl 247 and it only hits for about 1,100 damage per target

It’s basically a Fury conduit. I honestly don’t even know why it’s under Arms, unless it has a weird interaction with Fervor and buffs the Slam hit, but I doubt it.

When running it as Fury, the conduit makes Whirlwind an effective damage skill in multi-target, and puts its damage on par with Raging Blow, iirc. Whether that’s actually worth using is kind of hard to say, since Vicious Contempt hits pretty hard (or you’d run Dauntless Duelist). I find that it’s better to focus on single target DPS in M+, even, since you’ll typically run with two cleave/AoE classes better than warrior.

1 Like

It’s basically there for the same reasons Fury has access to Slam. I’m still not convinced that it will be better than DoI, Ashen Jug, or covenant specific one. As NF Destructive reverb is worth a lot more. Whirlwind will still end up being just a filler.