I'm a sober alcoholic IRL with a small request to Blizzard about not consenting to get drunk in game

Hello,

I realize that I am a small demographic in this game. Drinking can be fun and has a place in WoW. However, after celebrating my 2nd birthday of being sober after a very difficult battle and losing nearly everyone and everything, there’s been some issues for me personally in game that are not healthy for my sobriety.

There are couple of different ways to get drunk in WoW, one of them being that you simply buy the beverage and drink. That one is fine, I don’t participate in it, and I don’t mind others that do, just like IRL. The one that has been the issue for me is when someone puts the drunk buff on me, which happened yesterday in Boralus while checking my mail. There was a buff about someone who was the Brewfest Chodown Champion, applying this buff:

I have a small request to ask Blizzard to allow me to consent to participate in this drunkenness or decline. For most people it’s not an issue. For an addict who still struggles to stay sober IRL, it is a harsh reminder of what my RL problems are while attempting to enjoy a game.

I hope that someone sees this, or can get community support as well. Additionally, I don’t want to be viewed as a downer either. I hope this opens a discussion at the very least and can raise some awareness of addiction.

Best wishes to all.

Edit: I don’t want to remove anyone else’s fun, or stop them from participating. I hope that’s clear. I would simply like to request an “opt out” feature that doesn’t force me to participate. My participation shouldn’t affect your gameplay.

113 Likes

What’s next? Ban octoberfest?

60 Likes

I’m a pacifist murderer id love if blizzard didn’t make me kill things in game

56 Likes

I mean, you don’t have to go to Octoberfest.

I find that toy a little annoying simply because I hate the screen blur effect it applies when I run by. I’m pretty sure you can just click the buff off but still.

8 Likes

No, certainly not asking to ban an event. I don’t think it’s too much to request to not participate in drunkenness outside of an event, in a main hub that has nothing to do with the event. Does my request bother you?

20 Likes

Congratulations on your sobrity.
edit: changed my mind. lets have a option.

7 Likes

Blizzard. Can you please make the game dedicated to all my little quirks and desires? I don’t care what everyone else likes. If something triggers me and maybe 100 other people out of millions it must be changed. Thanks

43 Likes

Well it’s August, and not the time of the event. I don’t see why the main city of an expansion (Boralus) must be included for a drinking event for everyone.

i know everyone is going to be snarky with the op but im actually in favor of this. the toy is annoying. pretty sure you can just click the buff off though

24 Likes

You can click the buff off, but I agree, buffs that are supposedly for fun like this should require consent.

10 Likes

Good luck with your sobriety, OP. I admire your strength. I agree that it should require consent, you have no ability to not consent in participation.

I would suggest not engaging with those who respond.

18 Likes

I’m not entirely sure what’s the issue. If its the act of “drinking” that’s the problem, just headcanon that you drink water or something.

If its the effect that “reminds you” of being drunk. Here’s how to turn it off. Just run this script in game : /console ffxGlow 0

Beyond that everyone has their own personal mental struggles. There’s no way for Blizzard to avoid any reference to any mental illness/condition.

Like should i be triggered by this patch entire theme considering i dealt with Schizophrenia within my close family my entire life? Well i’m not, cause i learned to deal with my own stuff on my own.

10 Likes

that we can all get behind… same with the train set >.>

5 Likes

I said I found the toy annoying. The top bit of that comment was in response to someone else. lol

1 Like

Can we not try to ruin another part of the game for everyone that affects less than 1% of the playerbase?

5 Likes

Bit pot calling the kettle black. Don’t take offence by somebody affected by a disorder requesting that something related not affect their play.

Try to be kind or at least tolerant.

They aren’t asking for anything of the sort.

This is where I take my leave. Thread is about to get real messy.

12 Likes

I agree with this, just because the screen blur and wavering walk is annoying.

3 Likes

your refrence is off.
It would be more like a femenist being mad about having to look for mankirks wife.
Cant leave the husbands side. shes not in the kitchen clearly she needs saving right mankirk!?!??!

You ask for tolerance but yet these people aren’t tolerant of vast majority who are fine with this included

5 Likes

This video game shouldn’t affect your sobriety in real life, even if you get “virtual drunk.”

7 Likes