If you're banning GDKP, what alternative solution are you offering?

“Now argue against this next premise I made up and have no way of supporting!”

Done replying to you.

1 Like

That’s why EPGP is simply better than DKP. It’s much easier for new people to get in and high enough in the ranking to win items while still prioritizing long term raiders who haven’t gotten much loot.

DKP: You are awarded DKP for each boss killed or sometimes people will add extra for attendance. However the issue is the team over time has hundreds of DKP.

EPGP: you earn EP each raid and GP any time you win an item. So let’s say you set a base value of 100gp for every player.

Established player has 1000ep and 400gp (since they won a few items) giving them a score of 2.5

New player joins and has 0ep and 100gp giving them an EP value of 0. However after a few raids they are now at 400EP/100GP giving them a value of 4 while the other player is 1400/400 giving them a value of 3.5. So a new player can eventually overtake priority from established players.

1 Like

GDKP and RMT have always been linked, but SoD showed just how blatant that link is. Like you said, there is nothing to spend gold on at level 25 outside of GDKPs. All plausible deniability is now gone.

2 Likes

Since you blew by the downsides of GDKP, lets look at a few.

1. Undergeared players. Many times player have just hit cap lvl, and jump into GDKPs. This puts all the other players working harder.

2. Most of these players, dont have the funds to buy what they want, so off they go to buy gold on the internet.

3. I haven’t ran any GDKPs in SoD, however in Classic may had a 10% to 35% “administration fee.” That’s what goes to the person who setup it up. Greedy people.

Along with many other issues, GDKPs have both good and bad points. Some of these GDKPs are ran by gold sellers. So now your unwittingly contributing to the whole gold buying/selling.

It’s not the GDKP itself that is the issue, it’s people. The people make these thing good or bad. Apparently, many WOW players are simply not happy with out 100k gold or more.

The alternatives to GDKPs are still there in game. Guild and PUG runs are still avaliable, and always have been.

• Undergeared players. Many times player have just hit cap lvl, and jump into GDKPs. This puts all the other players working harder.

Well that’s why some players intentionally join as ‘carries’ which is very common, knowing they will pull the weight, the whole purpose of GDKP is some people are doing the work of the others, since they don’t need the items they want the gold.

• Most of these players, dont have the funds to buy what they want, so off they go to buy gold on the internet.
    -Data on this?

• I haven’t ran any GDKPs in SoD, however in Classic may had a 10% to 35% “administration fee.” That’s what goes to the person who setup it up. Greedy people.

SOD are pretty tame, but an admin fee has always been commonplace. The price of running gargul etc. not really a downside, since people are willingly knowing about it up front and still agreeing to come.

That’s all the data you need to know.

4 Likes

Yup. It really showcased just how blatant the connection is.

1 Like

You want an alternative? Its called friends. Just like a “problem” you mentioned.

The fact that people in games think they need monetary value for every action you do is baffling. You’re playing a video game to pass time, not create a livelihood.

Sure banning GDKP seems weird but its for the better. The game shouldn’t be about how many hours you’ve spent farming the AH or how big your IRL wallet is to basically purchase gear. There are less ‘ninjas’ and ‘leavers’ than you would think. Also solution to this is to run with a guild of like-minded people it is a SOCIAL game after all.

Another solution when using the others above is a system that’s been in the game forever. The /roll and give the item to the highest roller. No this isn’t perfect either but its a SOCIAL game not literally BUYING the best gear and think you’re playing a game. Its not about gold farming or loot hunting there are better games out there for those things if that’s all you want to do.

Huh? I’m not even sure what argument you’re making anymore.

You said you dont buy herbs you pick them and sell the extra. I’m pointing out that selling the extra means people are buying them, obviously.

What? GDKP have drawbacks but these arent it mate.

1. Undergeared players only make it into gdkp as buyers, to be carried. GDKPs are well known for having very geared and skilled players, known as carries. These players dont join ms>os because they dont need gear.
  2. Most gdkp players dont have funds? What are you talking about? They get gold every raid.
  3. 10-35%? Try 0-10% in SoD.

SR is a great system. Swipe those tears away.
Edit: Sorry, I mean wipe.

The sarcasm really makes for a strong argument guys. Thanks for the bumps I guess.

I’ve never been part of a GDKP but have a few friends that swear by them. From my perspective, it means nothing to me if you do it or not. It your choice. However, reading the pros on this post actually make a lot of sense. Me personally, I don’t have a lot of time so I don’t have a lot of gold. I think I have around 25g…I don’t think a GDKP will ever benefit me since I won’t have enough gold to even try to bid. Unless I buy it. That’s where I think the big issue comes from. No, GDKPs aren’t the only reason people buy/sell gold. And killing them won’t stop it either. It’s one of those things that no matter what people say about it. It’s good and bad depending on the use of it. GDKP runs or not, won’t affect my play experience. But if groups start selling raid slots for PUGs, that could.

The beauty is that you generate an income from the raid. So if you go week after week, even if you have no gold to start you will build up gold. The typical GDKP experience is if you attend a weekly raid you will be able to obtain nearly full bis before the next tier, pay for all consumables, and then have some left over. That’s because some players that have more time bring characters that they never intend to fully gear, they only want the payouts. So, while in a ms>os raid anyone that could use the item will roll, in a GDKP some of the players are just there for a payout and will happily pass gear to you. It helps players like you get geared if you’re only focused on 1 character.

That’s actually an important point I think a lot of non-GDKP players don’t understand. People with 6-8 characters will play most of them as gold makers and collect payouts to funnel to the “main” character.

So that person that bids 6 times your budget for an item? Don’t be so convinced they got that from RMT. Many people run GDKPs on 6 characters and only bid big on 1.

The anti-gdkp crowd fails to understand this one point. With a low level cap and the ease of leveling alts it’s easy to build a bankroll doing multiple runs.

Explaining that your degenerate loot system also breaks the economy isn’t exactly the win you think it is.

2 Likes

Buying and sell items on the AH hurts the economy as well, but you guys aren’t crying about that.

You shouldn’t even have the opportunity to have such an advantage over people if you swipe.

1 Like

You realize that people have alts and make gold with those alts to gear their mains in a GDKP right?