If You Want The Ultimate Fresh

I’ve died twice to toxic HC players aggroing large groups and then leaving. Your community can pound sand :heart: In SoM, it was worse. The majority of HC groups I encountered were simply horrible. I don’t know if it was them being permanently on edge due to the fear of dying… but Jesus Christ.

I myself started a hunter since I never tried that out back in the day, and I’m going through the regular way. I’ll wait out the people that get sick of dying/restarting and just level myself until that day comes. Or I’ll hit 60 and just PvP

1 Like

Super fun way to play the game as long as the rules are reworked to maximize socializing while minimizing P2W. As it stands it’s mostly for those who play by themselves.

3 Likes

yeah I honestly tried downloading the HC addon and doing it but ugh, I lose all motivation once I remember all the stupid rules.

if SoM2 does the soul of iron thing again I might try it out. never dying even once on the journey to lvl 60 is hard enough, especially on a PvP server. maybe all these weird anti-social rules are needed to make it challenging on PvE servers, but certainly not PvP ones.

7 Likes

I enjoyed doing Soul of Iron just recently on this character. I just set my own rules with it because I don’t like the HC ruleset either.

I just do the no death thing and just dont do any boosting or take gold from people. I kinda treat my groups and guild as an extension of “self-found” because its an mmo right? I also don’t delete on death. My HC character is just now softcore if I die like Path of Exile. :man_shrugging:

Def makes you slow down and stock up on profession stuff, appreciate drops more, and slow down and smell the roses.

7 Likes

What rules bother you? Just curious

I play some HC albeit maybe once or twice a week for a bit. No AH, no grouping, no trading etc. Yeah it might make it harder, but you still cant play an MMO under this ruleset.

The only solution for HC is its own server so they won’t make i9nsane rules to promote autneticity. Delete toon on death and then just let everyone play how they will.

3 Likes

You can appeal your death with evidence.

What server is the most active for this?

Bloodsail Bucs has become the default HC server. You will find lots of us there.

On one hand it’s nice to see all the new people in the start zones. On the other hand we have a mass of non RP people/names rolling on an RP server. ( BB )

It’s already a mess and Ive already reported so many people’s non RP names.

Most of these people wont be around very long either after they complete the HC or once they get tired of dying. They just HAD to pick an RP server for this garbage streamer ironman mode.

6 Likes

It’s like most everything else.
There’s winners and there’s losers.
Lots of the HC folks are fine, in their own world and do their own thing just coexisting (with a character name reasonable for the server).
It’s not often that I actually see an out of bounds name or any character name at all as I play with names off. It’s more immersive for me that way.

Then there are people that don’t care to share space with others and acting out selfishly.
People that want respect give respect. I give the HC folks a wide berth but if you are gonna try to train me or screech at me with gamer words for taking “your quest mob” after I tried to invite you to get the tag, I have no trouble with blocking you and reporting. But that’s not because you’re HC. It’s because you’re a greedy gnoll with no manners irl.

We can all get along if we all try.

2 Likes

I’ve never played solo hardcore so I don’t share a lot of experiences of feeling lonely out in the world and honestly I feel like I’ve had a ton of social interactions with people since the world is so lively. Those interactions aren’t trading or grouping for a hard quest though, they’re just small conversations or jokes because we just happen to be next to eachother running or standing around. I’ve duo’d a bunch and I started a trio 2 days ago and I have to say I’ve had a lot of fun with it. The hardcore addon is a lot more advanced now also; I think you used to have to record or stream to be a verified 60.

This is something the community has been asking for from what I understand. I just don’t understand how the server will be able to deal with core wow features (like trading/mailbox) with people that aren’t apart of your journey? maybe they just remove the release spirit button and call it a day or maybe they add a ton of restrictions like not being able to trade someone 10 levels above or below you?

I’m not too worried about it since Aggrend has been in communications with the hardcore community so whatever they come up with (if they do) it will probably be something most of the community can get behind. It’s not an easy issue but I do think there is an enough demand to warrant 1 realm dedicated to it.

this one :expressionless:

3 Likes

I think if they treated it like Path of Exile it would work fine. When you die it simply give you the option to logout to character screen or quit game.

At this point your character is moved to classic era servers. While this is how it works in most aarpgs for hardcore, I do not know if this would break any of Blizzard’s ancient transfer processes from early 2000s or not lol

Sounds like you’re barely paying attention then. Mob aggro/leashing has been incredibly buggy and inconsistent since Classic was released. If you want ‘hardcore’ play on an active PvP server. There is nothing hardcore about leveling on a PvE server in World of Warcraft, and that’s coming from a chronic altaholic.

How many characters did you get to max level without ever dying, with no support from a higher level/max character? Probably 0… possibly 1? It’s not an easy feat by any means

I’ve done this twice now, and I would say that if your goal is simply to make it to 60 without dying, this is a very dumb easy feat as you can just do everything as safe as possible (ie. do green quests, level engineering, level fishing and cooking for both food and green drops from crates, etc.)

If you are looking for different challenges or to make big plays for fun, then it can get interesting and challenging.

1 Like

The occasional inconsistent aggro/leashing is a feature not a bug. It’s a shame the game can’t be coded to include more unexpected behavior. If you die because mobs didn’t behave in a predictable manner (by your assessment) that is on you. Stay alert, have an escape plan including consumables that might be helpful.

2 Likes

Considering I’ve been rolling alts since late Vanilla due to said altaholicism I’d guess at least 4-5 times with druid and a couple times with enhance shaman, but that’s only applying to Vanilla and TBC as well as TBC Classic as those are the game versions I’ve spent the most time in concerning PvE-only servers.

I’ve always been a solo player except for dungeons so the narrative you’re trying to make out of me just does not exist here. I play on PvP servers mostly because leveling in WoW is scientifically proven to rot your brain from how predictable and unstimulating it is, especially after you’ve made the trip as often as I have.

But I also never play warrior though so maybe playing a class that’s worthless without gear and lacks self heals/mobility might be slightly more difficult.

The occasional inconsistent aggro/leashing is a feature not a bug. It’s a shame the game can’t be coded to include more unexpected behavior. If you die because mobs didn’t behave in a predictable manner (by your assessment) that is on you. Stay alert, have an escape plan including consumables that might be helpful.

All I’m reading is that Blizzard is feeding you a botched game that private servers managed to get right years ago because Blizz can’t be arsed to spend resources on something they still consider as a side project. You being satisfied with and defending a defective product doesn’t mean the product is less defective, it means you personally have low standards.

I don’t even know what these people are talking about and I’ve played WoW for like 5 years altogether. I think MAYBE I saw mobs respawning faster than normal once, but that’s about it :expressionless:

1 Like