If I pre-order the shadowlands, do i get BFA?

Not a Blizzard employee. Blizzard reps are blue, so I would have no capability to check your account.

3 Likes

Well BFA is $30 right now, so if you buy that you’ll get a 110 Boost with it; that alone is half the price of something that is no longer available in the Blizzard Shop, something to think about.

1 Like

Yes, our text is blue :slight_smile:
This license is currently sitting at Legion level, Kippert - was that your question?

Historically - at least for the last few expansions, we have rolled the previous one into the base game when a new expansion releases, but I’ve never seen us do it this early. Indeed IF (although I thoroughly expect it) and more importantly when - that I do not know yet.

11 Likes

i am unclear as to how this expansion plays into bfa. by all accounts ive read, its an expansion to classic wow allowing leveling from 50-60. Does that mean the level 120 bfa avatars will be unable to play these zones, and only avatars that are within the classic wow parameters can utilize the shadowland expansion… im sorry i havent played in almost 2 years, im considering getting the expansions and game time, but this is all confusing me a bit.

The Shadowlands expansion has nothing to do with Classic WoW.

There will be a level squish, as it were. I’d check out the Stay Tuned to World of Warcraft blog for more information.

5 Likes

this sounds great, and foretells of future expansions, the numbers start getting too big to work with at around level 150-175

It’s not really about the numbers getting “too big”. That’s more of an item level squish, which has happened more than once throughout the lifespan of this game.

It’s more about the daunting task of leveling. Tell a new player “Level 130 is the cap”, and it seems too much to think about. I’m leveling allied races for the heritage armor, and it’s a bit too much, even though I know what I’m doing, where I’m going and have full heirlooms.

The idea is that in the end, it’s 60 levels. Sounds more manageable, but the big feature is that the leveling experience is even more streamlined. You can choose one expansion’s storyline to play through, and that fresh character will arrive at, or near, 50 to hit Shadowlands.

Decently elegant solution, especially considering that most character leveling will not get to some zones of the previous expansions anymore.

6 Likes

yea as i was thinking about it, it seems that they should have done that with every expansion since classic, (all max level toons get bumped to 50 and work back to 60, and all raids are available at max level 60.)

it seems all im usually focused on is leveling, in that method most of my toons would be maxxed across my realms and i could focus more on game content and grinding raids

and yes in order to adequately increase the level systems in relation to the lower levels you would have to exponentially increase the increments upon which the levels are adjusted, like the way they started going 10 xtra levels per xpan at 100, it would become 20 at 150, and 40 at 175, 80 at 200 (+/-) it would put the level cap so high as to prevent close future expansions, the numbers would work in theory, (except when your crit is in the billions a 40 man raid may crash the server), but not such a good business decision.

this explains it better than anything ive looked into so far
2 Likes

I read somewhere that the expansion is scheduled to drop no later than December 31, 2020. I can’t remember where that was though. That said, it seems like an overly conservative date. I can’t imagine they’d expect customers to play 8.3 for over a year.

That’s not a release date. As the expansion is scheduled to drop sometime in 2020, it’s merely meant to be a generalisation.

4 Likes

Ok. Just saying I saw a blue post that said the expansion will be available on or before December 31, 2020. I realize it’s an overly conservative date. But it’s the only date I’ve seen.

I hope it’s closer to May 31, 2020. :grinning:

It’s on the purchase page for the pre-order of Shadowlands

*World of Warcraft®: Shadowlands expansion available on or before December 31, 2020

Thanks! Sooooo much infomation over the weekend. Forgot where’d I’d seen it. :grin:

Yeah it does! Thanks.
I just remembered when I bought one of the previous expansions it didn’t require me to buy the previous. But I think that was closer to release or on release. Makes sense! I’ll keep an eye out for sales.

2 Likes

If i wait long enough will I be able to play shadowlands without having to buy BFA? I’m in the same situation as Kippert: I own WOW LEGION but i won’t play BFA, so i don’t want to buy it.

1 Like

It was answered already in this thread.

6 Likes

Almost certainly. If history serves, they will probably roll BfA into the base game some time in the weeks prior to the expansion launch. Probably right around the time of the pre-patch.

2 Likes