"If everyone has it, nobody wants it."

I mean… there’s a reason a lot of the visually impressive promotion mounts aren’t on my favorites list. Most of my favorited mounts are mounts that I acquired doing something challenging in the game, or with friends. The mounts are virtual links to memories and moments I made and had in the game.

A mount that is just given to me for doing basically nothing… well… I mean… it’d have to be incredibly visually impressive to offset the above mounts. The only example I can think of that comes to mind is the recent tree mount give away. That mount is insanely impressive and as such was more than happy to favorite it. That being said… even with that mount I would’ve preferred some in game puzzle, gameplay challenge, or even jumping puzzle to acquire it.

I think there has to be a balance of freebies and hard to get mounts. I think a lot of achievement mounts are actually some of the best ones because you should lock them behind really hard achievements or something that’s difficult to get.

A mount given out for free might not be for you, but you have to think in context to what the playerbase might enjoy. Like a “not for me” mentality. There should be more of the harder to get mounts though.

It’s an anniversary of WOW, so anyone who logins during the time frame and takes time to celebrate the event should earn it. I’ll be honest, I was looking forward to logging into all of my alts and running the boss.

Edit: 5 minutes after posting this, I got the 2h axe drop on my DK. Nice, but I don’t play him much.

1 Like

Honestly, 99.9% of the time I’m not paying attention to how other players look or what they are riding. I’m playing my character, who is in the middle of my screen and who I am looking at the majority of the time.

Every now and then I see someone with a really creative mog and I give them a shout out. I don’t think I’ve ever did that for a mount.

EDIT: I’ll also add that the same goes the other way. I can count on one hand the number of times someone ever commented on a mount I was using, and most of those were more about the rarity of it than anything I did. You’re not really special for getting lucky on an RNG roll.

1 Like

“As a matter of selective necessity, man is an agent. He is, in his own apprehension, a centre of unfolding impulsive activity—“teleological” activity. He is an agent seeking in every act the accomplishment of some concrete, objective, impersonal end. By force of his being such an agent he is possessed of a taste for effective work, and a distaste for futile effort.”

because it’s a time sensitive event, I’m fine with it being 100%, similar to the “WoW’s X anniversary” achievements. Everyone who was there gets it, but new players can’t retroactively get it…

Although I’m assuming the mount may go to the BMAH boxes.

This reminds me of the salty hunter tears when Pandaria made common mobs with the rarespawn Madexx skins. If you get things because you like them instead of trying to farm cred from internet randos, you’ll feel a lot more satisfied.

And seriously, “poverty” frog? It’s pixel money that’s not even hard to grind, calm down Karen my gosh

1 Like

You’re right. We should go back and make tons of duplicates of all the rare comic books, coins, games, stamps, etc so everyone can have a piece of history.

I’m sure the collectors won’t mind.

Those are tangible, real things with actual scarcity. The scarcity of anything in game is completely artificial and arbitrary, and it will poof away whenever the servers go dark eventually.

1 Like

Ok and? That doesn’t change the psychological effect collecting rare items has for the people who participate and care about it.

Imagine tomorrow Blizzard puts out a vendor that sells every rare drop in the game for 10G so everyone can get them. You think people whose gameplay has revolved around farming rare mounts is gonna be happy about it?

Well said Ms. Unknown. To this day I am quite baffled to see people who require uniqueness in order to have fun. It’s like as if they aren’t playing the game for themselves.

1 Like

Warcraft “rares” are pixels in a pixel game based on pixel rng or $$$. It makes no one “special” in any meaningful way. What will you do when the game finally closes down? I have some of the old TCG loot, does that make me better than you? No.

“Rare” comics have been reprinted regularly for years? Psure all those museum reproductions of the Mona Lisa haven’t driven her historical value down yet, either. I’d love if they started remaking old toys, though. I lost my Mego Green Goblin in a move as a kid.

1 Like

You are making my point in your post. Rarity can vanish with a flip of the switch. It doesn’t matter how big of a “psychological effect” it has on people when rarity, as a concept, is a quantitative thing that can be measured.

It happens in the real world all the time. Baseball cards are a prefect example. It doesn’t matter what psychological effect it had on my brother when he bought the set with the Ken Griffey Jr. rookie card, thinking it would be rare and valuable, before they flooded the market with them.

I will never understand this boomer attitude. Other people getting something should no way make things worse for you.

Why do you get off excluding others? That’s weird.

“This house was great until everyone got a house” energy.

3 Likes

Boomer attitude? I thought it was always a Gen Z phenomena. I mean, in-game unique cosmetic purchases really took off in the past few years, not decades ago.

You’re twisting so many words it hurts to read your argument and want to bother formulating a response beyond it, but I’ll try again for you.

This has nothing to do with people being superior or better than others. Some people like collecting rare things that not many people have and thinking someone has a problem if they are like that is basically throwing shade at every collector in the world, which is exactly what the person I quoted said.

No I’m not, but you are. This is actually hilarious.

And if they hadn’t flooded the market your brother would have been stoked about it. Kept it, sold it, framed it, showed it off.

Then they ruined it. You are saying he went out and did something intentionally because he knew (or thought) it would be rare and and his effort was invalidated and I’m sure to some level he’s disappointed when he learned it would never be a rare card. Did he tear the card up, throw it away, sell it in a garage sale, or just keep it as just one more card in his collection? Whatever he did with it his response changed directly because of what happened to the card’s rarity.

This discussion isn’t about accepting the reality that everything and anything can be duplicated and you can’t stop that. It’s a discussion about why people like to collect rare things.

Why do people like to collect rare things then? What, specifically, about its rareness makes it desirable - without using the words unique or special?

All I can think is some maladaptive individuation process which is unable to reconcile a strong sense of self-worth and instead idolizes symbolic representations of uniqueness. Though I could be wrong.

2 Likes

To go back to your original response I quoted, there is the base claim about value of rare things in WoW, and you tried to compare it to rare, collectible things in the real world.

In the real world, there is a variety of reasons why people collect things, whether they are an investment for value or they are simply personal in nature, and there is actual scarcity to objectively define the value of the collection. In WoW, there is no investment value in collecting anything, and the rarity is entirely artificial since supply is only controlled by the parameters Blizzard sets at any given second. So, my original point was that the two aren’t even remotely comparable, and I disagree with your equating the two.

No, the discussion was largely about the 100% drop rate of the new anniversary items which is precisely that they removed the scarcity of the item and duplicated it for everyone in WoW. You are trying to shift it to why people like rare things in general, including real life.

1 Like

Ok Ok Ok, I just gotta ask…

Do you and your friends live in a commune and take it in turns to act as a sort of executive officer for the week?

Do you have special bi-weekly meetings to ratify the decisions of said officer?

Do the responses to your posts act as an example of the violence inherent in the system?

Are you being repressed?

Help a Mage out here.

1 Like