Idk why so many prot warriors are bad

So I rolled prot as my main in 9.0.5, breezed through KSM and AOTC. Got to world-ranked top 200 in H CN (Mythic was still locked before I took a break). Prot warriors are sooo fricken strong and arguably top 2 DPS tanks in the game. I get sooo excited when I join an M+ and there is a prot warrior. Then I see they are either running the wrong leggo, bad talents and/or put up a whopping 2-3k dps.

I just did a low-level Mists, it was a 12 or 13 (wish I woulda logged it), did 6.7k DPS over all in the #1 spot, topped DPS on the 2nd boss too. But did all of the good warriors leave the class because we were soo bad in 9.0? I am losing faith every time I heal an M+ and the prot warrior is just bleh.

For reference here are my logs

H SOD: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/character/us/proudmoore/skylarstella?zone=28&new=true#spec=Protection
SOD (Ranked 321): https://www.warcraftlogs.com/character/us/proudmoore/skylarstella#difficulty=3&bybracket=1

1 Like

If you are puggin, you will often see bad players, especially on the meta specs.

Such is the way of the pug world.

Warrior is a class that needs to be played well. Unlike Guardian, for example, a poorly played Warrior is going to be a wet paper bag while a well played warrior is going to be a brick wall.

1 Like

Is this just a non humble brag post.

21 Likes

I keep seeing people claim they do 6k dps as a tank.
I’ve yet to see it. So, do tell how are you pulling 6k overall for an m run? My warrior is 234 ilvl, and I get like 3.5k

1 Like

I’m doing well over 7k regularly, and into 8k in more coordinated groups because we pull bigger.

I am 245-6 equipped so I have 10 ilvls on you, but I don’t think that closes the gap between your dps and mine.

It’s going to be hard to say what your issue is without watching you stream, but warrior pumps on AoE. It’s single target we lack.

So it’s actually really easy to do good or bad on a warrior. But you have to know the basics

Never turn your back to enemies. Keep shield block and ignore pain up for constant mitigation. Use your cds to reduce when you get too many adds or to reduce spell dmg. If you do those things you survive at least.

As far as improving, you have to learn what enemies do what, interrupts, defensive for big dmg hits, when to use raid cds and stuns. Still easy to play but hard to master

Get reprisal, stack haste with some vers and crit, spec into Kleia, follow my talents, spam revenge, use intervene to keep SB up with charge as well. That was only a Mists +14

1 Like

Sounds like you’re enjoying warrior.

Does rage generation start to increase with level/ilvl? I’m about 48 and either have to DPS, survive, or a weak mix of the 2. I can’t imagine getting 6-8k over a dungeon at this point, but then again I’m still learning.

It doesn’t technically increase, but yes kinda. One thing is you unlock your other rage generating abilities. So charge, avatar, demo shout, etc. Then as you get gear, your survivability increases as your stats increase. This also goes hand in hand with your dmg.

Most warriors are running haste>versa> mastery right now for those very reasons you listed above. Haste increases rage, versa increases dmg done and decreases dmg taken, mastery(is an after thought kinda) but it gives you critical blocks and block chance(I think). So as you get most comfortable with your abilities, your stats simply smooth everything out.

Note: ilvl is king right now until you get to endgame gear. The strength and just raw stat gain from higher ilvl parts are more important early on than secondary stats

2 Likes

This is something I haven’t heard yet. I’m going to have to take a look at her.