Ideas for challenging affixes that would make tank & healers want to play?

Hi all, the topic of the thread is:

Ideas for CHALLENGING affixes that would entice tanks and healers to ACTUALLY want to play.

This thread is not “let’s talk trash about the current affixes”
This thread is not “why tanking and healing is bad”
This thread is not “why the M+ raiding system ruins keys”

I simply want people’s ideas for challenging affixes that would actively make people think,

“Hey, I wanna go tank spec this week”
“Healing looks like fun this week”

What’s an affix that would scale well, be challenging, but not want to make tanks and healers reroll and not play on a given week?

Right now there are different affixes that target different roles in the party.

Tank, Tank/Melee, Healer, Ranged/Healer, and everyone.

Are you asking for ideas about what would be a good replacement for the Tank and Healer specific affixes?

So necrotic for tanks and grevious for healerd

I can only give a tanking perspective, since I don’t play a healer.

I think this whole kiting meta is trash. Tanks don’t want to run from mobs, they want to see how big they can pull and survive using optimal gameplay for the most part. It isn’t so much a problem now as it was at the beginning of the expansion, unless the affixes are terrible. At the beginning most tanks had to kite on big pulls. Now the kiting only happens when the affixes force you to.

Remove affixes which force the tank to kite like necrotic and sanguine and replace them with affixes which make pulling larger more difficult on the tank, and not the group (bursting), except not with an affix like bolstering which slows down the group entirely. I would remove or drastically reduce the hp increase from bolstering, but keep the damage increase.

Remove affixes or rework affixes which discourage pulling large because it would actually slow you down (hp buff from bolstering).

Replace or rework affixes which are nullified by bringing a particular class (bursting, priest).

4 Likes

:+1:

Bolstering sucks because you can’t combine certain pulls, slowing down the whole dungeon, not out of a sense of danger but simply because it would literally be slower to pull big if a big mob got bolstered by many small mobs.

Torghast Bolstering, the “Avenger” effect, only increases damage and seems to be functional. It’d love to see Blizzard go more in that direction with Bolstering.

1 Like

There’s a Torghast affix that gives all mobs a shield that absorbs the first CC or interrupt that hits them, then disappears.

Might be interesting as a M+ affix. You’d need to use “lesser” cc’s/interrupts to get the shields off so you can interrupt the more dangerous casts/abilities when they’re used.

Disorients, for example, would become very useful, if they removed that shield when used.

2 Likes

Maybe some sort of affix that lowers DPS if the DPS play poorly and increase it if they play well?

OOH you know which one I liked! That one where you got a circle to stand in and it increased your DPS by 25% if you did, decreased dps by 10% if you didn’t. Maybe make a leapfrog pad around the whole dungeon where all of them are dps increases at all times, and not standing in those areas makes dps and healers lose dps. Please don’t put this affix on tanks, though, let them stand where they need to stand.

I want something different but I can’t put my finger on it. I want it to be more melee-friendly, which it isn’t unless the tank stands near a leapfrog pad (which is restrictive).

Wildstar included this mechanic. It was called Interrupt armor. I thought it was very fun.

Necrotic spreading evenly on all players , reduing healing but also reducing dmg

Id simply change current affixes to affect every roles

You trying to get healers to stop queueing now too?

The last thing I need is for people to take more damage, heal for less, and the fights be longer.

4 Likes

My idea is that every once in awhile a mob spawns for only one person, DPS and tanks would need to kill theirs (tank mobs have a smaller HP pool) and healers would need to heal theirs. If the party member succeeds the entire group gets a 30 second buff (haste, damage, a damage proc, or maga regen for healers or damage reduction for tanks), but if they fail the party member that failed gets tagged with a 30 second debuff that would reduce damage or healing or whatever.

I wouldn’t want a mana regen, but something else cool and I would go for it.

I was thinking that, too, and my thought was a 30 second buff that causes overheals to put an overshield on friendly targets, giving the healer more opportunity to DPS.

1 Like

I could definitely go for that. I do like to get my pew pew on.

I meean spreading evenly affecting dependent on your role , not all of them at the same time :o sry

Basically , all role share the necrotic affix to make it “easier” to deal with , sort of , while keeping it somewhat challenging

1 Like

We need more DPS affixes, not tank/healer affixes.

Pretty much every affix in the game is either specifically designed to punish tanks and healers, or else gets pushed onto them by DPS not doing their jobs properly.

The problem with DPS affixes is there isn’t much (at least that I can think of, maybe you are smarter) that still wouldn’t ultimately punish the tank and/or healer. The most common thing I have seen suggested is make them do less damage so they don’t get to preen about their dps. Ok fair… except the longer fights take the more stress is put on the tank and the healer.

I’d be all for adding affixes that BUFFED DPS if they did good things though.

1 Like

Meh, then you’d run into the requirement to have buffs for bosses so we would be doing Prideful all over again

1 Like

Fair, but then we are back to how do you do something for/to dps that doesn’t impact the other roles as much or more.

They should have a “Tickle me Elmo” affix where as you get melee hit by mobs, you accrue stacks of “Tickles” which when you reach 20 stacks you turn into Elmo and cannot do anything except stand around and laugh.

1 Like

WoW uses it, kind of, on the portal boss in Tazavesh.

1 Like