Iconic Classes for Each Race

So I’m having a bit of trouble getting a good idea of what classes the new Allied Races (Mechagnomes and Vulpera) are best represented by. Most races have iconic classes that can represent them (Priest, Druid, Warrior for Night Elves for example) and some races have classes that just don’t mesh well with the race in concept or lore (Mages for Night Elves).

Are there classes that are iconic for the new allied races? And as a side note I’d like to know what classes are just iconic for each race as you see them (Orc Shaman, Human Paladin, Draenei Priest, and so on).

Generally I’m trying to play some alts and looking for inspiration.

Cheers!

4 Likes

Pretty subjective but I guess I’d say

• Nightborne Arcane Mage
    They’re very much presented as the wizard race
  • Void Elf Shadow Priest
    Sorta self evident given the name
  • Highmountain Elemental Shaman
    The air, rivers and earth sum up their tribes
  • Lightforged Protection Paladin
    Stalwart soldiers of the Light
  • Dark Iron Destruction Warlock
    They live in a Volcano, throwing magma around sounds about right
  • Mag’Har Survival Hunter
    Given Draenor’s hostile environment this fits
  • Kul’Tiran Ice Mage
    Seems the Maritime Nation would have much respect for those that can command warer
  • Zandalari Retribution Paladin
    Charging into battle atop a gold plated Direhorn shows the imperial might of Zandalar
  • Mechagnome Marksman Hunter
    Complicated traps, a finely tuned weapon and machine like firing precision
  • Vulpera Assassination Rogue
    Sly fox folk from such hostile terrain seem like they’d know the virtues of prowling and posions.
7 Likes

I like this question a lot, and I do think of it occasionally. I’ll try and answer to the best of my ability. I can think of one for each race, though for some I think of at least two. I’ll include both as I see fit.

Human: Warrior and Death Knight immediately come to mind. Warrior because of the iconic Human Footman, but also because most Human kingdoms seem to have been led by Warriors. Of all the classes Humans could be, Warrior has been around the longest in their history. As for Death Knight, THE iconic Death Knight is Arthas, the Lich King. It only makes sense.

Dwarf: Hunter for sure. Next to the Footman is always the dwarven Rifleman. I can’t think of a dwarf more iconic than the hunter you see in the original Classic trailer.

Gnome: Mage, with Warlock as an honorable mention. Mage fits due to the sheer logic and methodology innate to their race, it’s a perfect class for them. Warlock because of Wilfred Fizzlebang, for the most part.

Night Elf: Tough one, but I’m gonna say Druid and Priest. Druid represents their devotion to nature, while Priest represents their devotion to Elune. There’s a lot to Kaldorei society, but they’re the two prominent elements.

Draenei: Priest and Paladin, no doubt about it. They’re a race strong in the Light whose entire culture revolves around it, what’s more iconic for them? Shaman, maybe. But barely.

Worgen: I would say Hunter and Druid are the most iconic for these, in my opinion. Both of them are in touch with the more bestial side of the worgen curse, reflecting their use of nature magic and the origins of their curse.

Pandaren: Monk through and through. Even the Monk campaign in Legion is all about Pandaren lore. The class all use Pandaren techniques, so why not just make a Pandaren Monk?

Orc: Warrior, Shaman, and Warlock. I’d say these represent the three major parts of orcish culture. Warrior for their ideology of strength and honor, Shaman for their ancestral and elemental worship, and Warlock, as they’re the first Azerothian Warlocks.

Troll: I would say Hunter here. Partially for gameplay reasons, given that they were the best Hunters for a while in early WoW. However, both of the major troll NPCs were Hunters, at least until Zekhan entered the picture.

Tauren: Shaman and Druid. They’re a gentle race who worship their ancestors, I feel that these more religious classes would be the most fitting for them.

Continued in next post.

4 Likes

Undead: Definitely rough for these guys. I’d have to say Rogue, given how often we see Deathstalkers in positions of power. I feel they would be the types for subterfuge, both in quietly killing their enemies and in keeping their dark alchemical experiments under wraps.

Blood Elf: Call me biased, but I feel their iconic classes are Warlock, Paladin, and Mage. They were a society of Highborne before the fall, leading Mage to be among their chief disciplines. After the fall and their reliance on fel magic, Warlocks were who saved their race. To represent their new power, the Blood Knights, their Paladins, represent all that the Blood Elves have become. Taking a new power so that they could survive.

Goblin: Another tricky one. Perhaps mage or warlock because explosions? I could see Rogue as well, since they tend to be the greedy, thieving sort.

2 Likes

hmmm…
for warlock
demonology : Forsaken/orc
Destruction : blood elf/goblin/orc
Affliction : troll / orcs/ forsaken.
Thats just a few from me. demonology i feel like connects strongly with forsaken cause balnazar was in the undercity for such a long time. He must have taught some techniques to the denizens. They are walking rot so affliction also fits.

blood elves always had a fel addiction and the rawest form of fel magic is fel fire. Kalethas being a pyro mage kinda helps out. he did fall into a pact with killjaden.
goblins just like explosions and raw energy so destruction really fits.

I put troll in the affliction catagorey because voodoo uses hexs, curses, and even ghastly spirits.

orc for all because guldan was the grandaddy of all warlocks.

1 Like

Warriors figure heavily in nelf lore. It’s the side of their story that was adversity and endurance.

Priest and Druid are a given, of course.

1 Like

What I was trying to get at in the OP were iconic races for the newest Allied Races. So far I think Vulpera would have to be Rogue and Shaman with Mehcagnome being Hunter and Mage?

Mechagnomes… Warriors with the Engineering profession… they fight like the way Borg do… adapting to their targets.

Vulpera… even easier… Rogues or Hunters. Skinning, Herbalism, Leatherwork, Alchemy are logical choices.

1 Like

I love this question and think about this a lot, too. I will list how I have viewed each race and their class counterpart iconically since Vanilla. I have only played Alliance but I will take a stab at the Horde as well.

Human: Paladin or Warrior
Dwarf: Hunter
Night Elf: Druid
Gnome: Mage
Draenei: Paladin or Shaman
Worgen: Rogue
Void Elf: Priest
Lightforged Draenei: Paladin
Dark Iron Dwarf: Warlock or Warrior
Kul Tiran: Warrior or Rogue
Mechagnome: Warrior

Pandaren: Monk

Orc: Warrior
Tauren: Druid
Troll: Shaman
Undead: Warlock
Blood Elf: Mage
Goblin: Rogue
Nightborne: Mage
Highmountain Tauren: Hunter
Zandalari Troll: Shaman
Mag’har Orc: Warrior
Vulpera: Rogue

These epitomize the core of each race pretty well when I think of one or see one in an ad or art.

HUMAN MALE PALADIN

#bodyunclear

1 Like

Cause it’s basic and boring.

1 Like

Alliance
-Lightforged:
Holy/Discipline Priest. Paladin.
-Void elf:
Shadow Priest. Subtlety Rogue. Hunter (Ranger)
-Dark Iron:
Warrior. Destruction Warlock. Outlaw Rogue.
-Kul Tiran Human
From Stormsong: Restoration Shaman.
From Drustvar: Druid (Thornspeaker).
From Tiragarde Sound: Outlaw Rogue or Warrior
-Mechagnome
Marksmanship Hunter (No Pet)

Horde
-Nightborne
Arcane Mage
-Highmountain Tauren
Shaman. Hunter
-Zandalari
They don’t have an iconic class. As one of the oldest races in Azeroth, they are really versatile and all classes fit them, except monk.
-Mag’har Orc
Depends on the Clan.
Blackrock: Warrior
Burning Blade: Monk/Warrior Arms
Laughing Skull: Rogue. Warrior
Shadowmoon: Shadow Priest. Shaman. Mage
Shattered Hand: Rogue. Warrior
Bleeding Hollow: Hunter. Rogue. Blood Death Knight
Frostwolf: Beast Mastery Hunter. Warrior. Shaman
Thunderlord: Hunter
Warsong: Warrior. Shaman

1 Like

Forsaken + rogue/shadowpriest makes the most sense to me.
Maybe warlock too.

To get a bit more specific, I’d say there are iconic specializations to boot
Alliance:
Human: Depends on where they hail from; Stormwindians? Prot Warriors, or northshire holy priests
Dwarf: Marksmanship Hunters, Mountaineers and general love of Boomsticks
Gnome: Arcane Mages; Gnomes and magic go hand in hand
Night Elf: Any/all Druids; obviously
Worgen: Nothing says bestial fury like a Fury warrior
Draenei: Ret Paladin; vindicator and their big ol’ gem hammers

Horde:
Orc: Arms Warrior; Big Axes seem to be their thing
Tauren: Elemental Shaman
Troll: Shadow Priest, always think of them when I think witchdoctor. Juju hex and shadowguard from classic anyone?
Blood Elf: Fire Mage, Blood Mages love their pryomancy
Undead: Affliction Warlock, dark magic just seems up their alley
Goblin: Sub Rogue, robbing and underhanded dealings? Of course.

Here’s my controversial addition to the iconic classes for Night Elves…

Mage. Night Elves, no matter how long they denied it, have an inherent talent for the practise of magic and many were drawn to the art in the hey dey of the Ancient Kal’dorei empire which eventually stratified its population into a caste system based on magical proficiency.

The returning Highborne from Eldre’Thelas found themselves with Night Elf students who proved surprisingly adept and capable of learning what they had to teach.

3 Likes

KUL’TIRAN MONK WITH BEAR FUR AND DOUBLE BEAR CLAWS.

#bodyunclear

1 Like

3 Likes

IMO…

Neutral

• Pandaren: Monk (self explanatory, even those Pandaren who don’t train as Monks incorporate much of the monk philosophy into their society/lifestyle).

Alliance

• Draenei: Mage, Paladin, Priest. (self explanatory, and even though they were the first race to bring Shamanism to the Alliance, it still seems like a novelty (as we play full-bodied Draenei, rather than the ‘Broken’ kind)).
  • Dwarf: Hunter, Warrior. I struggle to think of a third one here… (Brewmaster Monk?). A case could be made for Shaman (for their Titan heritage), but it’s present in the context of Archaeology/Blacksmithing, rather than actual practice).
  • Gnome: TBH, The iconic gnome trait is Engineer, as most Gnomes of any class have some engineering prowess. If I had to pick, it’d be Mage, maybe even Warlock? (tho most of them end up as comic-relief)
  • Human: Warrior, Mage, Paladin are my top three. Each represent a significant change in the overall culture of humanity. I’d also argue Rogue (Syndicate, Defias Brotherhood) and even Deathknight (As Gen-2 DKs were exclusively Human))
  • Night Elf: Hunter, Druid, Priest, DH (imo, all self-explanatory)
  • Worgen: Druid, Warrior. (When you boil it down, All Worgen are druids (who have one specific form). A case could be made for rogue too).
  • Void-Elf: Priest (maybe Hunter)
  • LightForged: Paladin (maybe Priest)
  • Dark Iron: Warrior, Shaman, Priest. (I picked Shaman over Mage here as most of their Fire Magic is related to their time serving Ragnaros).
  • Kul Tiran: Warrior, Rogue, Priest. While I think it’s cool that KT humans got Druid and Shaman classes, I didn’t really get an ‘iconic’ feel for that in their culture. I put Rogue because of the whole seafaring/pirate thing, and then Priest because of the Tidesages.
  • Mechagnome: I didn’t play through the Mechagon story, so never really got a feel for them. so my answer is the same as regular gnomes.

Horde

• Blood-Elf: Mage, Warlock, Hunter. Similar to Humans, this represents three big cultural shifts (they were exiled from Kalimdor for continuing to practice magic, Warlock for when they began to call themselves blood-elves, and Hunter for the Farstriders. Arguments to be made for Priest & Paladin).
  • Goblin: Rogue (While in the same vein as gnomes, that Engineering is more of a racial trait than any particular class. Rogue stands-out to me, as Goblins are the original smuggler/pirate race of WoW).
  • Orc: Warrior, Warlock, Shaman. (self-explanatory)
  • Tauren: Hunter, Shaman, Warrior (case can be made for Druid)
  • Troll: Shaman, Priest, Hunter (Witchdoctors and Shadow Hunters, which are the ‘Iconic’ Darkspear classes are an amalgamation of these three classes. You could argue Warrior/Rogue too).
  • Undead: Probably the toughest to choose. (First instinct is to say Rogue, Mage, Warlock. That said, I associate Alchemy with the Undead, more than an actual class (similar to Gnomes and Goblins)).
  • Highmountain: Hunter, Shaman, Warrior (Same as regular Tauren)
  • Mag’har: Hunter, Shaman, Warrior. While Orcs are have always been a ‘warrior’ race, the survivalist and spiritual traits are more prevalent in the Mag’har. Greenskin Orcs were forged specifically into Warriors
  • Zandalari: Priest, Shaman, Hunter (similar to Darkspear Trolls)
  • Vulpera: Hunter, Rogue (don’t know a lot about them, but get a feel for 'hunter (as they’re pegged as ‘survivalists’), and Rogue (at a glance, they give off a ‘gypsy’ vibe)).
1 Like

shrieks in existential terror

3 Likes

Kitoath, thank you for asking!

I live for these Lore Race Class Combo questions!

I will be giving my top two favorite for each race!

Alliance Core Races

Human: Paladin & Mage
Humans were the first to discover the Holy Light on Azeroth and when they learned the arts of the Arcane from their High Elven allies they became potent wizards.

Dwarf: Warrior & Hunter
Dwarves are famed for the legendary Mountain Kings.They are also experienced mountaineers and the creators of the legendary boomstick.

Night Elf: Druid & Demon Hunter
Malfurion was the first mortal druid in Azeroth, and instructed his teachings to the night elven people. Druidism is deeply saturated in their culture and very way of life. On the flip side Malfurion’s brother Illidan formed the deadly yet controversial demon hunter order.

Gnome: Mage & Warlock
Gnomes were part of the first council of Tirisfal making them, plus they have a natural affinity towards the arcane. After the fall of Gnomeregan many gnome mages became embittered and learned the dark arts to take vengeance on any who opposed them.

Draenei: Paladin & Shaman
For eons the exiled Eredar now called Draenei were taught the ways of the Holy Light by the cosmic Naaru beings. Draenei are inherently born with light given magic. Other than paladin, it was Nobundo’s journey to the elements of Draenor that led to the practice of shamanism within their culture.

Worgen: Druid & Rogue
The Worgen curse originated from the Scythe of Elune and the arch druid Malfurion himself. Remnants of druidism survived within the Gilnean culture and they were known as the Harvest Witches. Every Worgen you fight within Gilneas is a rogue as well. Skulking around and pouncing on their unexpecting prey.

Alliance Allied Races

Light-Forged Draenei: Paladin & (Holy) Priest
The Light-Forged Draenei were separated from Prophet Velen. They became hardened veterans against the constant battling of the Burning Legion. They are even more zealous towards the Naaru and the Holy Light than the other Draenei. Literally infusing the power of the Light into their body through ritualistic tattoos.

Void Elves: Warlock & (Shadow) Priest
Magister’s fascination with the void led him and his followers to become one with it. It was thanks to Alleria’s intervention that they were not driven to madness. Shadow Priest Lore is literally connected to the Old Gods, and Warlocks summon Void walkers.

Dark Iron Dwarves: Priest & Mage
Dark Iron Dwarves have long practiced the ways of the Light and Void alike making them powerful priests. They are also known for their powerful sorcerers for it was they who summoned Ragnaros himself into the mortal realm.

Kul Tiran: (Outlaw) Rogue & Hunter
Kul Tiras is famed for its seafaring sailors, making outlaw rogue the perfect fantasy for accomplishing this. They also have a flare of colonialism and greatly favor the boomstick as their weapon of choice making hunter’s viable as well, when exploring new charted lands.

Mecha Gnome: Warrior & Mage
Mecha Gnomes are very technical minded, even more extreme than a regular gnome. The advantage they have over their gnomish brethren and sisters is robust mechanical parts, making them able to hit way harder in force. Warrior would be the staple, with mage being easily learned twice as fast due to their accelerated brain processing.

Horde Core Races

Orcs: Warrior & Warlock
Every Orc is born a warrior (I guess excluding peons). Everything about warriors and orcs are so intermingled in their culture they are one and the same at this point. Orc warlocks were also the most infamous and caused terrifying destruction not only to the Alliance but to their own home world, it’s how their signature green skin tone even became a thing.

Undead: Rogue & Warlock
The Deathstalkers under Silvanus forsaken are probably the most infamous of the many organizations under her banner. The Forsaken were the only horde race at the time that took to the ways of the warlock with open arms.

Tauren: Shaman & Warrior
The Tauren have also strived to be one with nature and preserve the balance of the Earth Mother. They also helped the orcs rediscover their roots within shamanism. Tauren totemic warriors were powerful shock troops during the 3rd War and very iconic.

Troll: Shaman & Hunter
Troll shamans are witch doctors, in fact the shaman totems and ability hex comes from the original unit within Warcraft 3. Plus there are so many themed shaman sets that are aimed at trolls. Trolls are also renowned hunters as reiterated within the books of the Shen’dralar halls.

Blood Elf: Mage & Hunter
Blood Elves have had eons of practice with the ways of the arcane. They are the Archmage race in the game. Their racials show this and now the mage class has included some signature abilities like summoning the phoenix heraldic icon of the Sin’dorei. They are also renowned rangers, Sylvanus halting off the Scourge is still honored within their culture to this day.

Goblin: Rogue & Warrior
Goblins love profit, and rogue exemplifies their culture perfectly. Swashbuckle pirates, SI:7 agents or the famed Gob Squad. Rogue the definitive goblin class. Goblin warriors are known as “bruisers” in many goblin towns.

Horde Allied Races

High Mountain Tauren: Druid & Shaman
Huln was blessed by Cenarius himself during the War of the Ancients, giving him the iconic “Druidic Antlers”. After the world was sundered we have reason to believe that this sect Shu’halo actually continued to practice druidism being they were gifted by the Druidic God himself. Shamanism runs deep within the High Mountain society especially with the Rivermane tribe and we see it a lot in game as well with key characters.

Nightborne: Mage & Priest
The nightborne have kept their highborne heritage in their need and practice for arcane magic. Thus making them a mage society identical to the blood elves. Uniquely, they also still have Elune worshiping sects giving them ties to the priestess of Elune of the night elves as well.

Mag’har Orcs: Shaman & Hunter
The Mag’har orcs represent the orcs and their pure oneness with nature. Characters like Great Mother Geyah and the Half Ogre Rexxar come to mind. Between the throne of the elements and how the frost wolves hunted the mighty clefthoof these two classes really do their ancient culture justice.

Zandalar Troll: Hunter & Shaman
Zandalari are known for taming the mighty dinosaurs of days long past. And they are deeply religious to their various loa gods making them excellent shamans. Plus all of that lightning magic also comes from their dealing with the Thunder King of Pandaria.

Vulpera: Hunter & Shaman
Vulpera of Vol’dun are expert survivalists having to become one with the perilous desert land making them natural hunters. Their leader Kiro is also a restoration shaman, which makes sense that tribal leaders would have an affinity with obtaining water.

Neutral Race

Pandaren: Monk & Rogue
The ways of the mystical monk hail from the Pandaren. It is they who honed and mastered the art of hand to hand combat and contemplative meditation. The Shado-pan are a famous ninja organization with the Pandaria that have protected its people for centuries.

Thank you again for asking this question. I eat this stuff up. You can also find out more too on Warcraft Wiki it’s a great place to obtain lore quickly.

1 Like