I wish covenant abilities were detached from covenant membership

Had I been in charge, I would’ve made it so that joining a covenant only unlocked mounts, mog, toys and pets.

Naturally, the special features would’ve remained; like Ardenweald’s, “Queen’s Conservatory,” or the Necrolord’s, “Abomination Factory.”

Your class abilities might take on a different skin.

That would’ve been the extent of covenant selection and membership wouldn’t make, or break, a class.

13 Likes

Same, I would love to try necrolord mage but no way am I giving up on night fae just to go regrind 28 renown and all of the covenant campaign. Plus ya know the ability sucks. But it might be strong on things like stone legion generals, hunstman, and sun king.

6 Likes

Amen brother.

We’d actually be able to make meaningful choices and have the opportunity to take our characters down a path that matters in terms of identity.

4 Likes

The only choice this expac gave was do you want to be accepted into group finder pugs or not. And dont tell me this doesnt happen. There are people like that in my guild.

4 Likes

I personally assume any Warlock who went Venthyr is just outright trolling.a

Exactly.

I chose Necrolord for this character because I like their theme and mentality.

It aligned perfectly for my paladin’s character but NOT for his DPS numbers.

Let’s say I decide to pursue DPS charts, well then;

• I’ll need to abandon my Rank 2, abomination factory, transportation grid and mission table.

• I’ll have to forsake my rank 3 Anima Conductor and all of the permanent channels.

• I’d have to wave goodbye to the followers I’ve leveled.

• My soulbinds would evaporate.

Then, in the next patch, a different covenant gets buffed and, in the interest of DPS meters, I’d have to go pursue that FOTM.

If they’d left the covenants to be aesthetic choices, the game would’ve been better off.

4 Likes

I can’t say I care, the abilities feel so meh to me for 80% of it. I would of redesigned really how all core aspects worked into a more funner expansion FOR ME at least but c’est la vie.

I went Venthyr on my alt. Not worried about min maxing on him and wanted to experience their story.

Kind of sucks that the covenants really aren’t balanced though.

Since we actually learn them all and use them as we progress through the zones, it would make sense to just let you pick one like a talent at the end. Now it’s like we learned them while leveling then forgot them the moment we moved on to the next zone.

1 Like

Thats the unfortunate part of some classes and covenants is that they get shafted in their abilities. I would never want to be a kyrian mage because the ability just sucks to press every 45s or whatever. Compared to night fae with shifting power that both reduces my cds and is one of my primary damage cooldowns during an aoe combustion.

1 Like

Yup, I think that trend carries into Torghast as it’s main attraction. I really agree ‘abilities’ should of been detached, earned while you level in said zone let’s say to unlock it permanently.

But I also see they could of made soul binds a sort of ‘buddy’ system… that helped you in those open world stuff, and you could switch out the main ‘benefit’ for it to help you in instanced content.

Mission boards being things you can choose to run missions on for ‘solo content’ with those troops. (IMO at least… missed opportunity, and not the phone mobile game we got)

Ending rambling now but yeah I agree, it just sucks that these abilities , for a bunch of specs/classes, have zero staying power… just a ‘‘well I’ll just go there, thanks’’… but when I did that, the upgrades for the different covenant stuff (buildings, travel etc) feels so arbitrary and lifeless.

I liked Legion stuff more in that respect.

1 Like