I was trying Wotlk classic for the new promotion mount

Oh god… for sure this was one of the best expansion when it was alive back then I played it and I remember it exactly. was my prime… But I swear I cannot play it now with the way the game has changed… The modern game now is 10x better than this.

It’s just so clunky and slow and not so much fancy things… + the new models animation is a huge deal actually.

I dunno just me tho, I could be wrong.

55 Likes

It’s been over ten years since I played a dk in their starting zone, and did at least six times. With the exp buff it feels like I have heirlooms, but indeed I am spoiled by the conveniences of retail

6 Likes

I was definitely getting frustrated. I just had to thank whatever WoW dev or God allowed me to finish the interrogation quest on the second mob because I remember when it took me an hour to do it and that made me hate DKs for years.

20 Likes

Well you are comparing a MMO RPG to a now just Multiplayer Game with Mobile Game design implemented.

Basically World of Warcraft vs WoW 2. It’s okay if you like one more than the other

10 Likes

I’d like the promotional mount, but I’m afraid of the long queue times to even try Classic (which I’m otherwise not interested in). Are all the servers in long queues or are there any low-pop servers left?

Edit: I made a toon on Ashkandi (server it put me on by default) and it had no queue. Got my mount and uninstalled. :smiley:

7 Likes

There are literally dozens of realms without queues.

9 Likes

I didn’t have any queue when I logged in during prime time last night.

7 Likes

yea I did the DK intro quest for the mount, I quickly remembered why I don’t play classic.

Those good memories are drenched in nostalgia and should stay in my head.

18 Likes

Yeah I agree. I put an hour into it this morning and it’s quite the slog. I appreciate some of the QoL improvements retail has over classic.

5 Likes

Yeah, no… This is patently false, sorry. And I say that having many gripes about retail.

5 Likes

I dunno. It’s exactly how I remember Wrath to be, for the most part.

2 Likes

Which ones? I tried 3 different servers last night and they all had really long queues. Also I wouldn’t say that there are that many realms period so there are not “literally dozens” without a queue.

I haven’t tried yet, but WoWHead recommended these realms to not get queues: (I excluded the EU realms on the list)

• Azuresong - US West
  • Myzrael - US West
  • Old Blanchy - US West
  • Bloodsail Buccaneers - US East

I kept forgetting to loot every single body.

19 Likes

Probably depends a lot on the class you’re playing, and what content you do.

Melee specs have gotten a lot more, uhh… frenzied I guess since then in just about all content over the years, with most requiring an unending flurry of rapid button presses.

But for example mages in open world stuff have actually gotten kinda dumbed down. On retail out in the world I only use a portion of my spec toolkit, whereas in Classic I’m regularly using most of the class toolkit, and while Classic mages can be played in open world in a “slow” way they work best with a faster playstyle that kites mobs to keep them off of you. In retail you also can’t do fun cross-spec interactions like using Blast Wave to Shatter crit a whole pack of mobs that you just Frost Nova’d to get a nice fat Ignite rolling on all of them.

6 Likes

Is Unholy tanking still a thing? Because I might try it out just for that.

Personally I enjoy it, seeing how classes played back then. I wish they would do it on a patch by patch basis though and not just use ‘end-patch class changes/tuning’ for the entire expansion.

I just wish the ‘ghoul’ event griefing wasn’t happening.

3 Likes

I don’t have any queues on Mankrik, or last I checked anyway. But there’s Pagle, Ashkandi, Windrunner, etc…

The queues are more for Benediction, Skyfury (Can’t make a DK anyway unless you have a 55 on that realm), Grobbulus.

If you’re not interested in playing Wrath for the long haul, then does it matter where you make a DK if it’s just for the mount?

The rose colored nostalgia glasses are strong with this one. What a slog…I like retail so much better. I got the mount this morning but had to hit Wowhead way to much. The QoL in retail is so much better. It’s what we knew then vs what we know now I guess.

1 Like

I have only played vanilla and classic and now I’m trying retail and I agree that the flow of play is much better. But the quests are so much worse and overcomplicated and needlessly “Rube Goldberg machine”-like. It’s like I just want to kill stuff and use my build to get better. I have to play with temporary items goblins give me every quest and then go look on YouTube because the quest isn’t clear enough for anybody to actually figure out what it’s talking about half the time. Like how would you know to drag one icon over to this part of the screen or that part instead of looking for a button to start the mechanism. Stuff like that.

It also has a bunch of phone game type time gating stuff in it now which is so stupid.

I don’t know how to explain. Basically needs the quests of vanilla, and the mechanics of retail. Then we would have a solid game.

6 Likes