I thought Cataclysm was slower pvp than wotlk?

Forget the alleged resil bug. Is Cata not what I remember? I remember long fights. In the open world a 1 vs 1 fight would last at least a few minutes. Compare this to wotlk where you would die in 2 globals.

Is this another fast pvp expansion? Did anyone play BFA? There were very little one shot pvp. Even not using defensives and counter play it would take a few minutes to kill a player. If they were a healer they would never die at all.

Is cata faster, the same or slower pvp than wotlk?

2 Likes

i also felt the same and was looking forward to doing more pvp

maybe we are thinking of mop

You are def remembering wrong my friend. Most people just really sucked in cata, however the people who did properly would just dome most people instantly, even in the first season. I would be killing people in traps on my hunter whereas Wrath you really didn’t have a chance. My 3 stack boomy/healer/dps would camp entire bgs in the gy.

People are a lot better now and cata/mop was way faster then wrath at the high level.

This isnt indicative of max level gameplay. I remember running around as a Frost DK in pre-patch just spamming Howling Blast doing absurd damage.

Also burst was still high especially early on with vengeance stacking Blood. I mean my Prot Warrior can dps better than most DPS I have ran into and can 2 shot a lot of people so long as I can stack my holy power but that takes a while to the point that someone else can burst me down.

I don’t know what Cata PVP was like really, but I know that whatever level 80 PVP is like, it doesn’t mean anything.

Level 80 stat scaling is designed to work for leveling characters. We’re all basically 80 twinks in our raid/arena gear, with stats vastly higher than they’re expected to be.

2 Likes

It is once you get to 85.

Your base health and stamina will go up significantly level to level.

I think it’s roughly 10k health per level iirc.

Edit: your damage spells also don’t go up quite so generously.

hmmmmmmmmm

A lot of people came into WoW during WoTLK… and when it switched to Cata it was the same amount of people that hated the vanilla switch to TBC… so Cata gets a bad rep… in every category…

but if you are looking for the last remnants of some of the OG team and vision of what a MMO should be… then Cata and MoP are the last two… after that you are in full on retail…

SoD is basically retail with training wheels.

1 Like

Pre patches are odd times. The new code is there partly and so is the old code.

Put simply we are all twinking right now.

Now vehicles in say wg is another issue. Blizzard has sucked at vehicle balance even in retail.

Usually at some point in retail expacs ioc is hangars……only. Why? If you just cough on a glaive they blow up. Glaives only work when you get that team that doesn’t send in druids and rogues to stealth burst them fast lol.

Hell I saw Paladins just pop their 2 charges and bubble up to wipe them fast.

Yes it’ll take a while at 85 to kill people. Especially the first phase. Healers will be tanking 5 people on a flag node all game until they win. MoP is when it’ll really get stupid though.

A good chunk of it can be chalked up to prepatch jank. Never judge an expansion’s balance based on its prepatch

That said, Cata fights definitely are not slower. The days of getting stunned by a rogue with legendary daggers, trinketing, and then still dying within the 2nd, DRed stun will soon be upon us

according to my resil dmg reduction rn i should be taking 55% less dmg from players so idk

You’re not talking about 1v1 with bis pvp gear and dying in 2 globals in Wrath. Is there some assumed context that is obvious?

:woman_shrugging:

Theres also a lot of good stuff you kind of want to do as a pve player, so a lot of folk ‘sucked’, it was going through the process having not pvp’d much or even bothering with decent resilence gear. It was fun though depending on your class more so than Wintergrasp.

Game is scaled for level 85. Resil is bugged.

2 Likes

I remember it being faster, but not this fast. Im leveling up a mage from 70-80 right now, and it seems whether I win or lose a pvp encounter is determined by who gets the first strike. Its two shots for me or two shots for them. I remember having battles where I could at least pop cooldowns and have some intense moments. Even at level 40 i dueled my buddy and it was over in like 3 seconds, both of us at like 50 health but he won. This PvP is whack right now.

It’s faster actually

I also remember long arena matches in cata, I think the pace will change at 85 with proper gear

1 Like

Whatever it is it’s incredibly fun.

Such a nice change from garbage SoD pvp.

3 Likes