I think I found the problem with connections issues that people are having,, maybe

I have been looking all over the internet trying to find out why I m getting so much latency in WoW. 80-600ms. Someone on reddit pointed out that some fiber optics cables have been damaged in the Red Sea in March. I asked an old school friend who I haven’t talked to in years who works in IT about the problem. He told me that even if I am not using those internet routes to Blizzard (from east coast to west coast) other people are, and it could cause a slow down and congestion with internet traffic if fiber optic cables are damaged. I would like someone who knows a lot about fiber optic internet to weigh in on wheter this is the case?

Possibly, if you’re connecting from africa, midle east, India or south east asia it might.

I think in your traces though you’re out of the east coast? So most likely no.

You could essentially Google these lines to get a general map of where these lines connect. Such as

https://cablemap.info/_default.aspx

From an article I found:

While cable damage in the Middle East may seem like a faraway problem, when key parts of the global internet network go down, there’s potential for far-reaching repercussions. Network operators are excellent at building redundant networks that automatically divert traffic, but those detours could conceivably cause congestion as unusual stresses are applied to the network lines serving as the alternative routes.

For example, on Monday, March 4, HGC announced it was rerouting some of its European-destined traffic through the U.S., and several other affected providers stated they’re using similar strategies to mitigate the damage.

I can’t post links but the site is highspeedinternet and the article is: Three Fiber-Optic Cables Were Cut in the Red Sea. Will It Slow down Your Internet?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.