I Think Blizzard Is Underestimating Classic Popularity

I’m not really looking forward to 5+ hour login queues for PVP realms, and… should I say it… with an active subscription.

I don’t feel confident that Blizzard has prepared for the amount of players that are going to be subscribing within the last week/days before launch (me), and I can already see the mountains of threads in this forum that will be posted come launch day of people trying to log in.

A huge majority of people aren’t going to buy subscriptions just to reserve a name and realm and not do anything with it.

6 Likes

I think Blizzard knows more about the potential population than we do.

4 Likes

I think neither us nor blizzard are prepared for whats coming.

Talk next week!

5 Likes

They think they do, but they don’t.

28 Likes

With layering at the start will we really see queues no matter how many people are trying to play?

1 Like

i don’t think the q will be as bad as people think its an up side to layering

I’m a death knight. I’ve only got to wait for two expansions to play… You’re a demon hunter… so you’ve got to wait – well, suffer well.

:skull_and_crossbones:

3 Likes

Hard to say. They obvious think the initial influx is going to be significant. Hence, layering. But they are not convinced it will have lasting appeal. Hence, layering.

1 Like

Retired Demon Hunter at that.

Don’t bandwagon then. I haven’t logged in again to check realm pops, but as far as I know, only one PvP server is like that. If you aren’t down with the queue, then don’t play on it.

Blizzard tracks metrics/telemetry with their battlenet launcher and here on the forums. They know if you’ve even looked at classic stuff. I’m pretty sure they have a rough estimate of interest and probably anticipate a certain percentage of those people playing.

Think it’s more to do with the fact that as time goes on people will be more spread out thus it wont be needed.

You’ve sacrificed everything…

That too. But only a few MMOs have showed steady long term gains after launch (wow was one of them).

Usually large MMOs or their expansions have huge initial influx of players and then sharp drop offs a couple months after launch.

Yeah. It’ll be interesting to see how many people will continue playing classic long term. I think it will keep a very healthy population.

2 Likes

All for it to be taken for granted via the current state of retail WoW.

I’d rather have full servers than empty servers.
My retail server is so empty even after merging with others. It’s sad.
I’m sure Blizzard is prepared to add more servers as time goes on, just like 15 years ago.

2 Likes

I dunno about that. Weren’t exactly prepared for the original launch if memory serves me correctly.

1 Like

They have a lot more experience now.

2 Likes

I wanted to say previous expansions too but not so much for the recent ones because so many people left retail WoW and there’s plenty of empty servers.

1 Like

Hope you’re right but they do still seem to bungle most launches. Can only think of maybe one expansion that went off without a hitch.