I ordered this display. Tell me how much of a mistake I've made

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YGZL8XF

LG 27GL83A-B 27 Inch Ultragear QHD IPS 1ms NVIDIA G-SYNC Compatible Gaming Monitor, Black

• 27 inch QHD (2560 X 1440) IPS display
  • IPS 1ms response time & 144Hz refresh rate
  • NVIDIA G-SYNC Compatible
  • 3-Side virtually borderless design
  • Tilt / Height / Pivot adjustable stand

I had considered the nano-IPS display, but from everything I’ve read, it’s pretty much the same display minus a few USB ports and some other color settings.

https://www.displayninja.com/lg-27gl83a-review/#:~:text=AMD%20FreeSync%20is%20supported%20with,issue%20with%20compatible%20NVIDIA%20GPUs.

The main difference between these two monitors is that the LG 27GL83A has an sRGB color gamut backlight, whereas the 27GL850 covers a wider DCI-P3 color space.

The wider color gamut allows for more vibrant and lifelike colors in HDR (High Dynamic Range) compatible games, movies, and other content. Most video games and web content, however, use the sRGB color space.

This will be replacing my 24" ACOC AGON AG241QX 1440p/144hz TN display, which will probably go to my wife.

2 Likes

Another “main” difference is the Gsync vs Freesync. Depending on which branded graphics card you have, will depend on if you can use the xsync technology. It doesn’t make a huge difference, but there is some difference when using the tech.

The only “mistake” I think (opinion) you’ve made is going through Amazon. Just me not being a fan of Amazon much. Rather stick with Best Buy or Micro Center (if ya have one within a reasonable distance, closest to me is a 90+ minute drive)

2 Likes

Not one at all. Thats FANTASTIC monitor! The LG IPS 1440p actually looks better than most 4k TN Panels! Its vibrant colors are off the charts! I have one of those LGs myself. I am on my second one. These monitors from LG have set the stage for everyone else. BTW that monitor is actual G-Sync! You have to use a Display Port of course though. 1ms response time on an IPS is nuts!

I started out with the exact same monitor you just bought. My buddy had a similar size TN 4k and he HATED how much better my IPS 1440p looked than his. I did decide later that I wanted bigger. I returned it to Amazon and ordered this one.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08DWD38VX

I am actually going to be buying the one you bought again for my brothers new rig!

You WILL LOVE it!
:heart_eyes:

2 Likes

haha well glad to be of some help to convince people to buy stuff lol.

Good to hear it has some positive reviews here.

Should be here tomorrow :slight_smile:

That’s one of the options when I need to replace my Acer XB271HU. I would pick these today as well. They use the same IPS panel.

LG 27GL850
Alienware AW2721D

1 Like

Ultrawide ftw

2 Likes

That’s a monitor to drool over. Interesting purchasing options in that Amazon link. Monitor + thermal paste? Just why? lol

Thought about it as well - but ultimately I don’t want to give up the desk space :frowning:

1 Like

I bought the Dell equivalent of the wide gamut one (S2721DGF) just a few weeks ago after my secondary monitor dropped an entire column of red (took 15 or so years to show its first problem, so it had a good run). To call it a damned fine screen is something of an understatement - the picture is phenomenal, colours pop (even compared to my other IPS screen), and its extremely crisp. If I were to have any complaint about it at all it would be the absence of a 3D polarizing filter but I knew that going in, it’s only for movies, and my other screen has one, so it would be kind-of arguing for the sake of arguing.

Early on I did toy with the idea of running it in 2/3 resolution (1706x960) to bump up performance a little on my ageing GTX1080, and maybe make things a little easier to read with my poor eyesight, but between the variable refresh rate and the sheer “cleanness” of the picture it just wasn’t worth it.

I had considered going ultra-wide, but price and availability just weren’t in its favour. For the same price I would have had to opt for a “star killer” VA panel, and nothing in a good IPS was in stock anywhere. Not to mention I’ve since learned a pair of 27" standard widescreens aren’t exactly a nice fit on my desk.

Just… be mindful if you’re running two or more screens. If the LG is anything like the Dell, it doesn’t maintain its “presence” to the system when you turn it off. So Windows will automatically assume it’s been unplugged and adjust your display settings accordingly. Standby doesn’t do that, though, so at least you can put it to sleep (did you know there’s a Power setting in Windows to make the on/off button do that?) without problem.

1 Like

get yourself a big desk like mine :smiley:

worth the $600

1 Like

The monitor you bought is one of the best monitors on the market if you haven’t followed monitors LG came out about 2 years ago and changed everything. They pretty much set the stage for everything that came after

1 Like

Thanks for your concern in the other post about the computer being on the floor my friend I might have freaked out if I had saw that too. Like I said it was only on the floor for a moment will I did my test power up after I did the initial build.

However this is how she sits

1 Like

Computers aren’t “bad” on the floor as long as it’s not carpet. Hard wood floors is OK but me personally I keep them up high like on top of a 2 drawer file cabinet which for me is about even with my desk.

Pretty happy with it now, after getting used to it. I’m a bit sad of the loss of the 122ppi from the 24" 1440p display, but the overall larger size and better image is nice.

1 Like

I have recently started a journey to upgrade a 8 year old 1080P 24" 60hz monitor. I have owned and returned so far a,

Asus VG27AQ, it actually has a good picture but I made the mistake of looking up reviews and finding out about the poor 60fps performance and that it didn’t have a one overdrive setting fits all and lets face it WOW FPS can over the place, depending on where you are and what you are doing. I could definitely see a little more motion blur then the other new monitors I have tried but it was still way better then what I had.

I had two LG’s 27GL83A, the first one flickered, the second one had a huge IPS glow in the bottom left that I just couldn’t get past. But these monitors have a very fast panel that have a good overdrive, one setting fits all, for a good range of FPS.

The next one was a ASUS VG27AQ1A but here I thought I ordered a VG27AQL1A, sneaky buggers with their part numbers. This is supposed to be a updated version of the VG27AQ with better pixel response and overdrive but I mucked up and didn’t want the VG27AQ1A (missing a L gheeeze) as it lacked some features I wanted.

I considered a MSI MAG274QRF-QD and the MAG274QRF these two are very similar but the non qd version doesn’t have quite as wide of a color gamut as the QD version. Though it is still pretty wide. The color gamut on these are HUGE and it doesnt have a RGB clamp. I am worried about excessive color saturation. So I didn’t get those

Just this morning I picked up the Dell s2721dgf, it’s a wide color gamut screen, not as wide as the MSI screens though and after a few hours with it so far. I don’t know. Colors are mostly good but reds are pretty red.

I really would have liked that sRGP gamut LG 27GL83A monitor but my luck wasn’t there with the panel lottery. If I can’t get used to these saturated colors I might give that LG another try.

Also I have a NVIDIA card and all of these monitor are GSYNC compatible.