I Never Miss!

It has been fun watching Sylvanas slaughter raid testers, but does anybody else get the feeling that something is off?
The devs were talking about how this was going to be an EPIC raid, and rich with lore, but so far there is a lot of cheesy one liners.
Who thinks there is either a bunch of dialog missing, OR the raid test dialog could actually be placeholders?

When Thrall says “YEILD, SYLVANAS!” I half expected her to say “no, I have the right of way!”

12 Likes

Sounds pretty bar standard for WoW fights if you ask me.

14 Likes

None of the VAs feel like their hearts are in it, not even Sylvanas. And the dialogue is painfully generic (I would argue more so than typical Blizzard hammy dialogue, but your mileage may vary).

I don’t know what it means. Could just be a Covid thing, could be a “I’m the VA of a major character, and I’m the former lead story person who disagrees with this story direction, we’re both resigned to having to suffer through this garbage”.

I did see speculation that maybe Bolvar and Sylvanas are hamming it up for the Jailer, but that seems like a stretch.

8 Likes

Afrasiabi is no longer writing for her so she may be going Full Villain because Danuser says so regardless of lack of consistency…

Her Cutscenes which make her seem to doubt herself is of course Christie Golden’s work since Christie Golden helps write the Cutscenes and we all know Christie Golden can’t help but put herself in the characters’ shoes.

Arthas riding his Horse before the Horse is ready for jumps is how Golden imagines becoming the guy from Warcraft 3…

Sylvanas having pangs of regret is how Golden imagines herself in Sylvanas’s shoes as she can’t imagine herself as a Saturday Morning Cartoon Villain… The fact that she was able to picture herself in Gul’dan’s shoes is surprising.

As for Benedictus she had the fortitude of not needing to depict the Old Man’s history only his being in fear of Deathwing and fearing failure.

Of course if that is indeed the case then Danuser’s main concern is Nathanos not Sylvanas who is just someone for Nathanos to pine after and(potentially) seek vengeance for!

Not a good take. Creative Development (which Alex led after Chris) controls the direction for the characters and the IP, not the Narrative Lead. Afrasiabi was always way more in control of the overall story than Steve was while was employed at Blizzard.

5 Likes

Afrasiabi is gone which means he is no longer writing for Sylvanas!

Since Afrasiabi is gone what Danuser says goes!

Danuser has no care for consistency so him depicting Sylvanas as Saturday Morning Cartoon Villain means that she is not likely getting redeemed even if Christie Golden jumps through multiple mental hoops to justify Sylvanas’s path!

Their positions aren’t comparable though. Alex Afrasiabi was the head of C-Dev for all of Blizzard. Steve is/was Lead Narrative on WoW. Steve’s job is to take what C-Dev hands down from on high and make it work with everything else.

If Sylvanas was destined for Villain-batting it was because of C-Dev. If Sylvanas is destined to carry the IP forward for the next 10 years it is because of C-Dev. There is nothing Steve or Christie can do to change it.

That said, the dialogue is painfully generic which Steve would definitely be overseeing and he should be blamed for it. I’m amazed they already recorded it given how…incredibly boring and generic it is.

10 Likes

And yet all the Horde development (Tauren/Troll vs Nelves warfront) Afrasiabi personally promised/stated was going to happen never happened during BFA, at all

and he left

Yeah they said during the raid we’d have all our questions answered and we would learn everything about Sylvanas and the other characters but uh

lol

5 Likes

No idea where this comes from. Are you confusing Alex for another dev?

Alex was notoriously shy toward the community and rarely answered questions, and he rarely answered things in a straightforward manner. He was usually more Socratic than that.

That’s the guy that inserted himself into the game so that he could be with Sylvanas…
This guy specifically only cares about Sylvanas and Nathanos, this is why Nathanos’ death was all according to his plan too, because neither of those characters can ever lose.
He couldn’t care less about the lore or other characters / races. Haven’t you noticed that? Only Sylvanas and Nathanos.

Especially with him she’ll get a pass on genocide, it’s so obvious by now too. After Shadowlands she’ll just be a neutral hero or back to the Horde as if nothing ever happened, because she’s just better and stronger than all the other characters so they’ll accept it.

2018 interview

1 Like

I’m honestly beginning to think the developers haven’t actually decided what the Jailer’s dectruction-reconstruction plan is, and they’ve consistently failed to meet their half-dozen promises of “THIS will be the true reveal!” because they’re stuck and floundering to write something that even makes sense.

Or who knows, maybe they’ll magically insert a year’s worth of promised lore into the most lore-dense 20 second post-fight cutscene in videogaming history…

14 Likes

Well, I’ll leave it up to it not being finished concerning the epic part.

However, so far, I’d say Castle Nathria is better. So far. Although, I’m desperately trying to throw the thought away that this will be like the end of the Eternal palace where the set up had huge implications and then the following patch turned out to be a huge disappointing dud :frowning:

And with the Jailer so far being someone that I just do not care about at all (he’s as threatening and interesting as a grain of rice) it scares me a lot.

I really hope there are other lines added for that ability, story-related or not. After pulling and testing her a bunch, it was starting to wear on me.

3 Likes

That was me. The intro is so bad I wondered if it was an in universe example of hammy dialogue because they had a long time on top of Icecrown Citadel to talk it over.

Who’s the head of Cdev now?

Danuser seemingly, meaning that the Night Elf hate along with Sylvanas and genocide glorification can reach its true potential now.
Well, we’re seeing that in 9.1 already lol

Oh my god, we get it, you think Blizzard wakes up every day wondering how they can torment Night Elf fans, and even when they throw you a bone you can’t even acknowledge it because of your victim complex.

We get the message, we don’t need you to post a different variation of the same friggin’ pity party every time you post a comment. You’re not garnering any sympathy, you’re just being a nuisance.

4 Likes

I don’t think, I know.

Give 1 example. Both the justice plot, and the potential of freeing the souls went absolutely nowhere. What bone?

Not sure that is the case, but it’s super odd to me that the night elves in their W3 iteration as amazonian-alike warrior nation with a lot of big female characters in the culture are used for things like “silence Tyrande” (instead of W3 “only Elune can forbid me”), as punching bags, etc.

Alongside with Anduin being right™, while Tyrande is “consumed by vengeance™” (with no definition of vengeance).

It’s really odd to me that the race that seems like an out of the box perfectly made by the original designers (DIdier and Metzen iirc, but not sure if my memory is accurate on that front) to show more diverse and strong females image is turned into… into what we have. I guess that all of that is nothing in comparison to the “human potential” or something
:man_shrugging:

gl hf

7 Likes