I need to level a bunch of pets

I decided to complete the Family Battler achievement for Dragonflight and it turns out that I need to level around 30 pets and most are level 1.

I tend to wander away from pet battles and then get interested again, so I have collected a few supplies in the bank:

• 150 shiny pet charms

• 150 leveling stones

• 130 upgrade stones

• 350 polished pet charms

• hundreds of +xp food and bandages

• a few of each dungeon currency

I’m not in a rush to get this done, but I would like to be the most efficient.

I noticed they changed the leveling stones from granting a level to granting XP instead. Is it still best to use them at 23+?

Is farming Squirt in the garrison still the best xp/hr? What about the Pandaren trainers? And that one Legion quest just outside Valdisdall with the 2 trainers?

Thanks for any feedback

If you’re not hurting for bandages, you have the pets for the team, and a repeatable Legion tamer is up, then those fights are generally better/faster than Squirt. They also have the advantage of giving character xp, so you can level an alt and pets at the same time. The downsides to the Legion tamers is they’re random & you have to use bandages.

However, the next Squirt day for NA will for sure be February 2nd. Squirt’s advantage over Legion tamers is you can schedule your leveling day & there’s a healer nearby.

To me, MoP & WoD trainers are not worth the time versus how many pets you can level, but that’s just my opinion.

I think the leveling stones will get you to 24 when you have a level 1 at 0 xp, so you can get them to 24 then top off their xp with a battle/battles. Using one at 24, I believe, is overkill. However, I’m not paying that close of attention when I use my stones because I just throw them at things I have in my leveling queue to test strategies. You can try it out with one pet and proceed from there.

With 350 Polished Pet Charms you can get 10 purple stones (they’re 35 PPC each), so you have 1/3 of your 30 pet goal completed there. With your 150 leveling stones you can get 20~ pets almost-leveled to 24, depending on the stone types?

Personally, I’d use your leveling stones to 24 (or 23 after your test) for the pet families you have the stones for. Use your PPC to get the 10 x insta-25 stones for the pets that are leftover. Then top-off / level the remainders on Legion tamers if they come up, and if they don’t you have Squirt to fall back on for the 2nd.

That said, Bodhi Sunwayver is up in Dalaran today, and he’s a good tamer to level against. I like putting a leveling alt in Dalaran with Warmode on for the extra xp since it’s a Sanctuary and you won’t be bothered.

Here’s Xu-Fu’s Powerleveling Guide & our page for Bodhi, who has around 40 strategies to choose from:

2 Likes

I’d recommend doing some Draenor and Pandaria trainers daily. With Warmode on, the Safari Hat, Lesser Pet Treat, and Pet Treat my Alliance alts get a carry pet to 24 with just two trainers. Probably a little less for a hatless Horde toon. Bonus for me, this also gives some nice XP for alts I’m trying to level.

I’ve mailed you on Proudmoore with some additional suggestions. Oh, and “MPD” is Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling.

Dreanor

Gargra: Your Warbot and Cogblade Raptor will work with a level 1 carry pet. Your Raptor being S/S breed it’s guaranteed, with a slower one it’s more RNG dependent.

Tarr the Terrible: My strategy uses 2 non-tradeable Hallowed End pets that you don’t have but Wowhead has other strats.

Taralune: Chrominius and Sprite Darter with a 15+ carry pet.

Vesharr: Chrominius and MPD, level 1 carry.

Ashleigh: MPD usually solos with a level 1 carry, sometimes may need a backup, preferably with strong hit ability.

I skip Cymre Brightblade cause I’m lazy and fight takes too long.

Pandaria

Hyuna: Nexus Whelpling and Fledgling Warden Owl, level 1 carry.

Thundering Pandaren: Scooter the Snail, MPD, level 1 carry.

Courageous Yon: Iron Starlette, Anubisath Idol, level >10 carry.

Burning Pandaren Spirit: My strat uses Servant of Demidos which you don’t have and sounds like a real pain to try to get. Check Wowhead (I can use a level 1 carry on this one).

Flowing Pandaren Spirit: Blackfuse Bombling (you’d need to level yours first to 20 or so level) and Ikky, level >12 carry.

Moruk: Rotten Little Helper and Nexus Whelpling. Carry pet maybe 15+, it depends on its pet type.

Farmer Nishi: I use Slithershock Elver and Dibbler to level a 12+ carry, you don’t have either so Wowhead again.

There’s several other trainers that I now skip due to laziness or because can’t reliably level any pets with them. You may want to experiment.

2 Likes

There’s some really good advice in here! I like to horde my leveling stones especially the Flawless Battle training stones. I have thousands! I just take my all my pets to WoD and Pandaland to level using the trainers. I like leveling pets there because I do not have to bother with too much travel. Bring a mage makes it super easy to get around. I can do both expansions in under an hour. I’m not sure how many folks would consider that efficient or not, but the pace doesn’t bother me. Also, most of the trainers have a level 1 carry strategy. I recently started using the Pet Battle Scripts and it has made leveling a lot easier than referring to my notes. Using this method, after about two battles the pet is almost 25. I usually wait for an efficient “low xp” pet battle daily to come up to get the pet over the finish line. For example, yesterday Retinus the Seeker was up in Uldum. The battle is very simple, and I can finish in 4-5 rounds using Ikky and an exploding Corrupted Blood. I keep the leveling pet in the 3rd slot and collect 600 or so XP after each attempt. Usually, I don’t have to do this more than twice. It goes by really fast and can be repeated.

2 Likes

Thank you for all the advice, it was very helpful.

Thank you for the detailed strats and the in-game mail! It was very kind of you.

This thread is amazing for seeing quickly and easily what is out there on any given day: Daily Pet Battle Report - #16 by Amayita-area-52

1 Like

I stop using stones then. The best way for me is to use a couple of them on a level 1 and get it to where it will survive the 1st round against a level 25, then swap to level 25 Anubis and win.

Only takes a couple of battles to get to 25 after a couple of stones to get started.

1 Like

Note that it is 1980 xp from level 24 to 25 so using a 2k stone is really not overkill by much. I admit I hesitate to use one more if I end up a little way into 24 but I also seem to recall that if you level purely on 2k stones from level 1 you actually end up almost exactly on 24 with no overspill and that is probably on purpose.

The point of the change from “grants levels” to “grants exp” was very much so that it shouldn’t matter when in the process you use them now.

Legion tamers are still my go to. Like today Bodhi Sunweaver is up in Dalaran. Get some bandages together, pick a team on xufus for her, use some stones to get your levelling team to 25 if needed, and then you can power level the rest of your 30 pets all in one sitting.

Also good for getting your alts some decent exp on the side.

3 Likes

If you have a Garrison with a Menagerie, don’t forget the weekly. 10 battle-stones for doing 5 Draenor trainers. Very handy for boosting those 24’s to 25.

Nice feature of it, the quest remembers the trainer count from previous weeks. If you turn it in, then do at least 5 more trainers that week, they’re counted when you log on after weekly reset. Just get quest, log off and on, and turn in quest.

Unfortunately this is one of those years-long glitches that Blizzard finally fixed – this bug was in OUR favor. Used to be able to often do the quest on multiple alts.

Get to work I leveled my pets by doing battles lots of battles and the warlords of draenor weekly gets a few pets leveled up quickly. So its a grind

Both Bodhi & Odrogg are up ^^ I know Odrogg has some strategies that only take a minute or so:
https://www.wow-petguide.com/Strategy/14572/Snail_Fight!

3 Likes

Not sure if you’re still looking for info but I still find the Draenor circuit a great way to level a couple of pets and some character XP if I want to level an alt simultaneously. If the pet has ~2K XP left, I’ll use a levelling stone for that last bit, otherwise, it seems like a waste of a stone.

If you’re interested in the teams I use, you can check out this playlist on YouTube. It includes some Pandaren teams as well but I haven’t done those in years.

Best of luck with the meta and emptying your levelling queue.