I need help with my shamans backstory

I want my Shaman to have been exiled. However, I can’t quite determine a good narrative for him being exiled. Shamanism is widely accepted in the Horde and among Orc clan.

I’ve thought about the idea of him delving into dark shamanism but that wouldn’t bode well since he’s a healer - unless he decided to become a healer as a form of penance.

Those he knows will simply refer to him as “exile” with his real name never observed.

My other idea was he cooperated with the alliance in some way but that’s sort of normalized now too…

Any suggestions are appreciated.

1 Like

Depending on how old you want to make your shaman you could go with the idea that he tried returning to Shamanism during the First or Second War, when the Orcs rejected shamanistic practice. Because of that he was exiled, much like the Frostwolves were.

He could also be a former member of the Dark Horde, but was exiled from them after trying to pick up Shamanism again before eventually going to join Thrall’s Horde.

Were you planning on making your Shaman be tied to any specific clan formerly?

I also like this idea.

Could go with the idea that the rest of the elements rejected him for his time as a dark shaman, but for whatever reason water elementals found a path towards forgiveness, making him largely only able to call upon the healing element of water.

Or, maybe the elements reject being used to empower him or help him specifically because of his Dark Shaman past. Maybe they only will allow themselves to be called upon if he uses them to aid others?

Hmm…
Maybe he came from a settlement during the times right after the Third War?

Tensions were high and he was exiled from his village when people learned he had aided an Alliance explorer dying in the Barrens?
He lived for a long time as an exile because of this, and has grown used to the title of ‘Exile.’

These are just a few concepts off the top of my head, good luck with your Shaman!

In regards to age how old do orcs typically live or can he live longer due to Shamanism?

It’s difficult to determine since I don’t think we’ve gotten much concrete info on lifespans outside of the now non-canon RPG.

I believe it’s canon that Orcs have a similar lifespan to Humans, but they reach maturity faster.
Thrall, according to Lord of the Clans was about the size of an adult human at six, but Orcs aren’t fully adults until the age of 12 (according to the novel Rise of the Horde).

With regards to age, if your shaman discovered a means to absorb energy from the elemental spirits thereby rejuvenating himself at their expense, he could be a lot older than he appears and also have a conflict with said elements. Since the elements themselves seem to have conflicts with each other from time to time, there might be opportunities to continue his rejuvenation which could not only end up making him exiled but also hunted.

So ye want ta make a shaman… Then ye’ve come ta the right place. I’ve been one fer over 500 years. In that time I have become both an Elemental Ascendant and a Bronze Watcher making me virtually immortal.

Aye, that they have. Though this was nae always the case. Back on Draenor prior to its destruction and transformation into Outland several of the Orc clans valued Shamanism, ((though not all)) up to the point that the Draenei arrived and they turned to Warlocks causing the Elemental Spirits and Ancestors to reject them.

Depending on What clan ye hale from, their involvement in the shamanistic arts, yer age, ye could quite easily be ‘exiled’ for not conforming ta the new dominant hierarchy.

I would nae recommend it, but I also cannot stop ye. The thing about Dark Shaman is they use force to make the elements bend to their will. It is nae a balanced partnership. All this means is ye nae ask fer their favor when calling on their power as a standard Shaman would. Ye could just as easily force a Water elemental ta heal yourself 'r an ally as a Fire Elemental ta burn ye enemy.

Aye I see no fallacy there. Orc names 'r their Sir-name are earned more often than simply passed down. Many Orcs being referred to by said ‘title’ more so than their birth name. So having “earned” the name of ‘Exile’ it would be acceptable to be addressed by that name for the remainder of his days. if it were a slur 'r insult ta ya honor and family even more so.

Orc honor code be a fickle thing. Fer example, Doing something to another could be seen as honorable, but having it done to you is seen as Dishonorable to both ye’self and the one who did it to ya. Even more so if they are nae an Orc. Showing Mercy to ya enemy I could see as such a violation.

A little more context based on what ye got already could help us along…

A particular style of Shamanism is accepted, this is correct. That doesn’t mean that all forms of Shamanism are accepted.

Depending on how much of a bad person you want him to be, you could well have him be someone who broke a taboo.

You mentioned him being a healer, in the real world one of the ancient healers of Roman times gained his insight into healing by taking advantage of the Gladiator system and using the act of healing the Gladiators to study the human body, which at the time was a very serious taboo. The resulting works he produced is questionable, but it has probably helped a great deal.

Among Shamans the act of forcing the Elements is seen as Taboo… but what if it was to help? IIRC the “Dark” Shaman are evil because they force the Elements to war and don’t care about harmony.

Just some thoughts.

You would be right on the money wit’ this one lass. Though as a true Shaman, I frown upon the practice of Dark Shamanism, a practitioner isn’t inherently evil. Mages for example are actually an offshoot of Dark Shaman. Foolish in their practices, they use arcane to manipulate and control the elements, foolishly thinking it’s under their own power.

Maybe you’re simply at the losing end of local politics.

2 Likes